Aero rims and spoke count

On 09 Dec 2006 18:46:53 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

[snip]

>I recall my famous encounter with a century rider on a
>stormy rainy day on the coast near Santa Cruz who, recognizing I was
>not part of their ride, asked:
>
>You do this for fun?
>
>Jobst Brandt

Dear Jobst,

"Famous encounter"?

I'd never heard of it, so I searched the archives.

As far as I can tell, you mentioned this "famous encounter" only once
in your previous 15,000+ posts to RBT:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec....les.tech&q=jobst+"you+do+this+for+fun"&qt_g=1

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/about

To be fair, you did mention it three more times on rec.bicycles.misc
and twice more on rec.bicycles.rides (the third occasion is set in
Europe and doesn't really count):

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=jobst+"you+do+this+for+fun"&qt_s=Search

Beware of becoming a legend in your own mind.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] writes:

> On 09 Dec 2006 18:46:53 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>I recall my famous encounter with a century rider on a
>>stormy rainy day on the coast near Santa Cruz who, recognizing I was
>>not part of their ride, asked:
>>
>>You do this for fun?
>>
>>Jobst Brandt

> Dear Jobst,
>
> "Famous encounter"?
>
> I'd never heard of it, so I searched the archives.

"Famous" can also mean "excellent."

--
Joe Riel

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 01:17:09 GMT, Joe Riel <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] writes:
>
>> On 09 Dec 2006 18:46:53 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>>I recall my famous encounter with a century rider on a
>>>stormy rainy day on the coast near Santa Cruz who, recognizing I was
>>>not part of their ride, asked:
>>>
>>>You do this for fun?
>>>
>>>Jobst Brandt

>> Dear Jobst,
>>
>> "Famous encounter"?
>>
>> I'd never heard of it, so I searched the archives.

>"Famous" can also mean "excellent."

Dear Joe,

Fabulous!

(Which occasionally has another meaning.)

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
(Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote):

> > Ultegra come in 28h....

(JS replied):

> Not locally.

Here, I found one over at RBR:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultegra-6500-fr...3QQihZ013QQcategoryZ36144QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or:
http://tinyurl.com/wf3kz

"Ships internationally"? "Ask seller a question".

Remember, Joseph: All Things Are Possible WIth Ebay. (<g>)

But seriously: I don't know which country is easiest/best to "mail
order" with from Norway, but there's no shortage of locations say, in
GB, for example. --D-y

[email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> (Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote):
>
> > > Ultegra come in 28h....

> (JS replied):
>
> > Not locally.

> Here, I found one over at RBR:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultegra-6500-fr...3QQihZ013QQcategoryZ36144QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Or:
> http://tinyurl.com/wf3kz
>
> "Ships internationally"? "Ask seller a question".
>
> Remember, Joseph: All Things Are Possible WIth Ebay. (<g>)

The problem with eBay is I find myself moseying over to the vintage
parts section, and then all bets are off!

> But seriously: I don't know which country is easiest/best to "mail
> order" with from Norway, but there's no shortage of locations say, in
> GB, for example. --D-y

Everywhere is more or less the same. Once it gets here there is a 25%
VAT and a circa $20 documentation fee for customs. This makes small
orders rather expensive. And we have access to relatively cheap prices
on Shimano stuff from a Swedish online place. For example 6600 front
hubs cost $39 (excluding 25% VAT) while they cost $52 at Performance.
So If I bougth one from Performance they would cost about $105 by the
time I was done with shipping, VAT, and fees, vs about $66 including
shipping if I get them from Sweden.

If I buy on eBay and the seller is a sport about it and labels it as
gift and a value less than $70, I don't have to pay anything. This can
make a BIG difference.

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> If I buy on eBay and the seller is a sport about it and labels it as
> gift and a value less than $70, I don't have to pay anything. This can
> make a BIG difference.

This is a used hub. I really only mentioned it for the (possible)
humor, and to inquire about wwweb ordering-- but VAT on used?

I "imported" a used frame from Europe (sent to me from there by a
relative) and someone did open the box, and un-wrap the frame enough to
determine that the frame was indeed as described, "used".

Using the same spoke pattern as first lace-up, shouldn't be a problem
with this hub, at least "as described" by seller.

Everyone has a budget. Except my wife, of course. --D-y