Aero Spokes?

Simon Watkins

Guest
<delurks>

Hi,

Have recently taken the advice I've read on here, and bought a nice (for me)
secondhand bike (Carrera Gryphon) in order to get fit. The bike has Alx320
Aero wheels which certainly look the part. However, after having a quick
look online, I can't see anyone that sells replacement flat aero spokes as
fitted to the bike. I don't have a problem yet, but am just anticipating
any future breakages and would like to order up a couple of spares, just in
case.

Do you know of any online suppliers of said spokes?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

"Simon Watkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> <delurks>
>
> Hi,
>
> Have recently taken the advice I've read on here, and bought a nice (for
> me) secondhand bike (Carrera Gryphon) in order to get fit. The bike has
> Alx320 Aero wheels which certainly look the part. However, after having a
> quick look online, I can't see anyone that sells replacement flat aero
> spokes as fitted to the bike. I don't have a problem yet, but am just
> anticipating any future breakages and would like to order up a couple of
> spares, just in case.
>
> Do you know of any online suppliers of said spokes?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Simon

TRy halfords they sell Carreras.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:43:55 +0000, Simon Watkins wrote:

> Do you know of any online suppliers of said spokes?

Not online, but any decent bike shop will either have them in, or willbe
able to get them quickly.
Alan.

http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.

"A.Lee" <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:43:55 +0000, Simon Watkins wrote:
>
>> Do you know of any online suppliers of said spokes?

> Not online, but any decent bike shop will either have them in, or willbe
> able to get them quickly.
> Alan.

Tks Alan, will try my LBS. Must get out of the habit of needing to buy
*everything* online!

Simon

Simon,

I bought the aforementioned bike about a year ago as a cheap introduction to
road biking as i'm getting too old and soft to go on my MTB in winter.

It's been a great bike for me and i've had lots of fun after learning to
trust the skinny tyres. However i'd seriously recommend 2 upgrades though if
you get a chance.

SPD pedals: Make life much more comfortable and pedalling much easier.
New brakes: The ones that come with the bike are useless. I didn't reaise
how much so untill i got a new pair!

Enjoy the bike,

Sam

"Simon Watkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> <delurks>
>
> Hi,
>
> Have recently taken the advice I've read on here, and bought a nice (for
> me) secondhand bike (Carrera Gryphon) in order to get fit. The bike has
> Alx320 Aero wheels which certainly look the part. However, after having a
> quick look online, I can't see anyone that sells replacement flat aero
> spokes as fitted to the bike. I don't have a problem yet, but am just
> anticipating any future breakages and would like to order up a couple of
> spares, just in case.
>
> Do you know of any online suppliers of said spokes?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Simon

"Sammy B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Simon,
>
> I bought the aforementioned bike about a year ago as a cheap introduction
> to road biking as i'm getting too old and soft to go on my MTB in winter.

Likewise :)

> It's been a great bike for me and i've had lots of fun after learning to
> trust the skinny tyres. However i'd seriously recommend 2 upgrades though
> if you get a chance.
>
> SPD pedals: Make life much more comfortable and pedalling much easier.
> New brakes: The ones that come with the bike are useless. I didn't reaise
> how much so untill i got a new pair!

I've seen 3 versions of the same bike so far, each with slightly different
fittings. The Blue old stock (2003 I think) Gryphon in my local Halfords
has dual pivot brakes and less "aero" forks than mine (ie, they are aero
profile, but not so deep). The new "white version" appears to have dual
pivot too by the blurb though I've not seen it. Mine is a Blue 2004 version
with "Radius" V Brakes, alloy and deep aero forks. The brakes do seem good
enough though I've got no real point of reference! - I'm not quite at my
fighting weight (erhem) shall we say, yet the brakes are confidence
inspiring even on a steep dowhill chunk of road. Anyway, just wanted to
check we are talking about the same brakes?

SPD Pedals - certainly something I'm thinking of once Xmas is paid for!

> Enjoy the bike,
> Sam

I am so far thanks - it was a bit of a bargain £175 and only 6 months old.
It had hardly been ridden and was unmarked, so I'm very pleased with what I
got for the money. The wheels alone as separate components aren't cheap,
and the bike has Tiagra mechs and appears well specced and well built. It's
a huge step up in quality from my old Claud Butler MTB (and a fraction of
the weight too).

Cheers,

Simon