aero wheel data

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mark Vieselmeye, May 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm looking for opinions and data on aero wheel comparisons. My sister is a triathlete and is
    considering spending $1k+ for a set of Zipp wheels (not sure of the model, but I think the 404). I'm
    thinking she can probably get just as much aero advantage at half the price with something like a
    Campy Shamal, but I've been seeing some conflicting data. At analyticcycling the Shamals are the
    best non-disk wheel, but the 404 isn't listed. At http://www.bsn.com/cycling/WheelAerodynamics.html
    they show numbers for both wheels, giving the edge to the Shamals, but they also list some disks
    with worse numbers than either, so I don't think I trust that data.

So anyway, let me know what you think.

Thanks,

- mark

Tags:

2. Hed spends a lot of time and money in the wind tunnel -- check their site for details and
    recommendations. Also Hed wheels have the carbon laid-up much more neatly than many other carbon
    fiber wheels, worth a look before you spend the cash.

On 7 May 2003, Mark Vieselmeyer wrote:

> I'm looking for opinions and data on aero wheel comparisons. My sister is a triathlete and is
    > considering spending $1k+ for a set of Zipp wheels (not sure of the model, but I think the 404).
    > I'm thinking she can probably get just as much aero advantage at half the price with something
    > like a Campy Shamal, but I've been seeing some conflicting data. At analyticcycling the Shamals
    > are the best non-disk wheel, but the 404 isn't listed. At
    > http://www.bsn.com/cycling/WheelAerodynamics.html they show numbers for both wheels, giving the
    > edge to the Shamals, but they also list some disks with worse numbers than either, so I don't
    > think I trust that data.
    >
    > So anyway, let me know what you think.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > - mark
    >
    >

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.