Aero wheel set for $2500

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by burtondr, Aug 24, 2007.

1. burtondr

burtondr New Member

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I am looking for a new set of wheels for around $2500. I would prefer aero wheels given my terrain.Weight is a factor for me in a wheel though. I am 140lbs. I ride undulating roads. Some are pretty steep. Between 50-100 miles per week. All around wheel usage. Clincher. Thanks everyone!

Tags:

2. ToffoIsMe

ToffoIsMe New Member

Bontrager Aeulous 5.0 carbon clinchers.

3. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Wow! I wish I could justify spending $2500 on a wheel set. That is more than what nost folks spend on an entire bike!

4. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Aren't Zipp 404 clincher the best? But they give crackling sounds when you pump up the tire...

5. ToffoIsMe

ToffoIsMe New Member

404 clinchers are fairly heavy, due to the aluminum rim used.
    A full carbon wheel, like the bontrager is lighter. I think Reynolds also makes a full carbon clincher but it may be a bit higher than the price range.

6. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

For $2500, my personal choice would be LEW rims, laced to White H1 hubs, using Aerolite spokes.

Or Corima Aeros.

7. JohnO

JohnO New Member

Devil's advocate here...

Why spend all that money on a lightweight wheelset, and then burden it down with a big chunk of aluminum?

I've been riding a set of 404's in tube for about two years. They're light, quick, and have a velvet smooth ride. Had two flats in two years. It's a lot easier to change a tubie on the road than a clincher. Just peel the old tire off, put the new one on, pump it up, and go. You could also put Slime in the tubie, avoid most flats, and still come out with a setup that's lighter than an aluminum rim.

If you want to score some real bling points, there's nothing like a set of 808's with Dugast silk tubies, around $200 each. If you can afford a $2500 wheelset, you can afford to send the flats off for repair. Besides, you aren't a true cyclist until you've repaired a tubie. It's not that hard, takes about an hour with practice.

Reality note - most wheelsets in that price range are optimized for weight and aero. Consequently, they can also be a bit fragile, and the cost of a replacement rim is astronomical. Probably not a good general purpose wheelset. For example, I have the 404's (picked up on ebay used) for when I'm feeling hot and will be on known smooth roads, but also have a set of Campy Zondas as a more everyday wheelset.

8. schmoopy

schmoopy New Member

maybe he means 250 and not 2500 ????? :confused:

9. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Well, I think the 404s are best because aren't they the only wheels that have dimples for more aerodynamics? And I chose clincher over tubular because clincher tires are cheaper and have less rolling resistance than a similar priced tubular. And the Tufo tubulars have high rolling resistance, whereas Michelin Pro 2 Race clinchers are cheap and have very low rolling resistance. And a heavier wheel will still roll fast - it's just that of course it'll accelerate minisculely slower.

If you want major bling - Campy Boras ($3500 ?).

10. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

If you're not rich, you'd be crazy to do general riding on a full carbon rim. I'd go for Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL or Premium.