Aerobar Help

IzzyG

Jan 14, 2006
I've been looking and reading various sites and books regarding the use of aerobars. Mostly it states that it requires a ride or two to get used to it. However, none teaches you how to USE it. Is there a progressive way to switch to aerobars. The first time I tried it, I nearly crashed. I've been trying to put only one hand on the aerobar and the other on the normal bars. It's starting to build confidence, but anyone else out there knows of a progressive method, other than making the plunge? Thanks.

Izzy G.

It might help to get the bike up on a trainer. Pedalling while in that position will affect your balance at first, and it's best to get used to it when you can't fall. Also, if they're adjustable it helps to start out with them set up as wide as possible.

IzzyG said:
I've been looking and reading various sites and books regarding the use of aerobars. Mostly it states that it requires a ride or two to get used to it. However, none teaches you how to USE it. Is there a progressive way to switch to aerobars. The first time I tried it, I nearly crashed. I've been trying to put only one hand on the aerobar and the other on the normal bars. It's starting to build confidence, but anyone else out there knows of a progressive method, other than making the plunge? Thanks.

Izzy G.

Start out practicing in an area without traffic and without other riders. Now you probably can better understand why many group rides don't want people with aerobars participating.

Another thing to try is to start out by "choking up" on the bars. Put your wrists on the pads rather than the elbows and grab the aerobars closer to the arm rests until you get more used to being more extended into the aero position.