Aerobars for touring?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by S. Segal, May 10, 2003.

  1. S. Segal

    S. Segal Guest

    Hello all,

    Does anyone have experience or opinions about using aerobars while on a tour? Are they worthwhile
    for the comfort and the additional places to put your hands while riding long days? I could care
    less about speed, I'm just out for more comfort.

    > Hello all,
    >
    > Does anyone have experience or opinions about using aerobars while on a tour? Are they worthwhile
    > for the comfort and the additional places to put your hands while riding long days? I could care
    > less about speed, I'm just out for more comfort.

    Definitely worthwhile in my experience. I've never used them for racing, but for touring
    they're very comfortable on a long day's ride, and they do help when you get stuck riding all
    day into a headwind.

    --
    [email protected] is Joshua Putnam <http://www.phred.org/~josh/> Updated Bicycle Touring Books List:
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/tourbooks.html

  3. "S. Segal" wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > Does anyone have experience or opinions about using aerobars while on a tour? Are they worthwhile
    > for the comfort and the additional places to put your hands while riding long days? I could care
    > less about speed, I'm just out for more comfort.

    I use them on my touring bike, and like them a lot.

    At the height I've got them, they generally don't feel quite as comfortable as my usual on-the-hoods
    position, but I find them very valuable when facing a harsh headwind, or when I feel like going a
    little faster. (They seem to be good for maybe 1.5 mph).

    One comfort advantage is that the elbow pads give me yet another place to put my hands. I like
    that variety.

    A miscellaneous advantage is that they're a good place to hang a headlight from. I use a handlebar
    bag, so the usual headlight positions are a little problematic.

    (Of course, the aero bar and the h'bar bag don't get along perfectly, but we've negotiated a kind
    of truce.)

    --
    Frank Krygowski [email protected]

  4. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "S. Segal" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone have experience or opinions about using aerobars while on a tour? Are they worthwhile
    >for the comfort and the additional places to put your hands while riding long days? I could care
    >less about speed, I'm just out for more comfort.

    I once sold an ultra-long distance rider a bike to do the PBP (Paris - Brest - Paris). He showed up
    with his "road bike" equipped with aerobars and with the saddle pushed all the way forward on a
    no-setback post. He had migrated to that position as the most comfortable over many years of
    mega-miles.

    I looked over the measurements, smiled, went inside and wheeled out my personal TT/Tri bike (with a
    78cm seat tube and aerobars). Didn't even have to adjust it - he rode it a few minutes and returned
    saying it fit better than his own bike.

    Not everyone will necessarily find the forward seatpost and aerobar more comfortable - but I
    know I have.

  5. Waxxer

    Waxxer Guest

    They are OK. However I would never use them on a road with driveways or cross traffic. Reaction time
    is severely disabled by the reach and angle back to the hoods. I tried S.T.O.P.S. and found that
    control while braking was also poor. I would recommend against them on the road--especially if your
    wheels have a large side profile.

    > "S. Segal" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Does anyone have experience or opinions about using aerobars while on a tour? Are they worthwhile
    > >for the comfort and the additional places to
    put
    > >your hands while riding long days? I could care less about speed, I'm
    just
    > >out for more comfort.
    >
    > I once sold an ultra-long distance rider a bike to do the PBP (Paris - Brest - Paris). He showed
    > up with his "road bike" equipped with aerobars and with the saddle pushed all the way forward on a
    > no-setback post. He had migrated to that position as the most comfortable over many years of
    > mega-miles.
    >
    > I looked over the measurements, smiled, went inside and wheeled out my personal TT/Tri bike (with
    > a 78cm seat tube and aerobars). Didn't even have to adjust it - he rode it a few minutes and
    > returned saying it fit better than his own bike.
    >
    > Not everyone will necessarily find the forward seatpost and aerobar more comfortable - but I
    > know I have.
    >
    > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

  6. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "waxxer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > They are OK. However I would never use them on a road with driveways or cross traffic. Reaction
    > time is severely disabled by the reach and angle back to the hoods. I tried S.T.O.P.S. and found
    > that control while braking was also poor. I would recommend against them on the road--especially
    > if your wheels have a large side profile.

    That's ironic...

    http://www.habcycles.com/bikecrash.html

    I was indeed on my TT/Tri bike, but I also believe I was on the drops. It wouldn't have mattered
    much because I simply didn't see the truck squirt through stopped traffic until he was entering the
    bike lane, and doing so far too close to even slow down much.

    I couldn't swear I was on the drops, because I don't remember every detail - it's just that I am
    ALWAYS on the drops any time there's a chance someone will do something dumb. But yes, I would agree
    that you should use care riding aerobars in any urban settings - when in doubt, get on the drops.

    >"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> "S. Segal" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Does anyone have experience or opinions about using aerobars while on a tour? Are they
    >> >worthwhile for the comfort and the additional places to
    >put
    >> >your hands while riding long days? I could care less about speed, I'm
    >just
    >> >out for more comfort.
    >>
    >> I once sold an ultra-long distance rider a bike to do the PBP (Paris - Brest - Paris). He showed
    >> up with his "road bike" equipped with aerobars and with the saddle pushed all the way forward on
    >> a no-setback post. He had migrated to that position as the most comfortable over many years of
    >> mega-miles.
    >>
    >> I looked over the measurements, smiled, went inside and wheeled out my personal TT/Tri bike (with
    >> a 78cm seat tube and aerobars). Didn't even have to adjust it - he rode it a few minutes and
    >> returned saying it fit better than his own bike.
    >>
    >> Not everyone will necessarily find the forward seatpost and aerobar more comfortable - but I know
    >> I have.
    >>
    >> Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

  7. Waxxer

    Waxxer Guest

    Hi Mark!

    I was not drawing my feelings on the basis of your accident, just my personal experience. When some
    shuts down on you as in your case, all you can do is go with it. Almost the same thing happened to
    me Feb. 15th. Brakes, positioning or even an ejection seat would not have helped. I augured in the
    car and woke up face down on the road. I also have racked up 15,000 dollars in medical bills--but I
    am riding again.

    Heal fast and well!!

    > "waxxer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > They are OK. However I would never use them on a road with driveways or cross traffic. Reaction
    > > time is severely disabled by the reach and angle back to the hoods. I tried S.T.O.P.S. and found
    > > that control while
    braking
    > >was also poor. I would recommend against them on the road--especially if your wheels have a large
    > >side profile.
    >
    > That's ironic...
    >
    > http://www.habcycles.com/bikecrash.html
    >
    > I was indeed on my TT/Tri bike, but I also believe I was on the drops. It wouldn't have mattered
    > much because I simply didn't see the truck squirt through stopped traffic until he was entering
    > the bike lane, and doing so far too close to even slow down much.
    >
    > I couldn't swear I was on the drops, because I don't remember every detail - it's just that I
    > am ALWAYS on the drops any time there's a chance someone will do something dumb. But yes, I
    > would agree that you should use care riding aerobars in any urban settings - when in doubt, get
    > on the drops.
    >
    > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame
    >
    > >"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...

    > >put
    > >just
    > >>
    > >> I once sold an ultra-long distance rider a bike to do the PBP (Paris - Brest - Paris). He
    > >> showed up with his "road bike" equipped with aerobars and with the saddle pushed all the way
    > >> forward on a no-setback post. He had migrated to that position as the most comfortable over
    > >> many years of mega-miles.
    > >>
    > >> I looked over the measurements, smiled, went inside and wheeled out my personal TT/Tri bike
    > >> (with a 78cm seat tube and aerobars). Didn't even have to adjust it - he rode it a few minutes
    > >> and returned saying it fit better than his own bike.
    > >>
    > >> Not everyone will necessarily find the forward seatpost and aerobar more comfortable - but I
    > >> know I have.
    > >>
    > >> Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

  8. Baltobernie

    Baltobernie Guest

    Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "S. Segal" wrote:
    > >
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > Does anyone have experience or opinions about using aerobars while on a tour? Are they
    > > worthwhile for the comfort and the additional places to
    put
    > > your hands while riding long days? I could care less about speed, I'm
    just
    > > out for more comfort.
    >
    > I use them on my touring bike, and like them a lot.
    >
    > At the height I've got them, they generally don't feel quite as comfortable as my usual
    > on-the-hoods position, but I find them very valuable when facing a harsh headwind, or when I feel
    > like going a little faster. (They seem to be good for maybe 1.5 mph).
    >
    > One comfort advantage is that the elbow pads give me yet another place to put my hands. I like
    > that variety.
    >
    > A miscellaneous advantage is that they're a good place to hang a headlight from. I use a handlebar
    > bag, so the usual headlight positions are a little problematic.
    >
    > (Of course, the aero bar and the h'bar bag don't get along perfectly, but we've negotiated a kind
    > of truce.)
    >
    > --
    > Frank Krygowski [email protected]

    Also a good place for your computer; much closer to your line-of-sight, and also a little further
    from the eyes (for you old guys).

    Bernie (remove numerals to Reply)

  9. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "waxxer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I was not drawing my feelings on the basis of your accident, just my personal experience. When some
    >shuts down on you as in your case, all you can do is go with it. Almost the same thing happened to
    >me Feb. 15th. Brakes, positioning or even an ejection seat would not have helped. I augured in the
    >car and woke up face down on the road. I also have racked up 15,000 dollars in medical bills--but I
    >am riding again.

    I think I can stop as quickly on the TT/Tri bike as my road bike - assuming of course, I'm not
    on the aerobars at the time. Most of my riding in town is up and down off the aerobars to be
    ready to brake.

    Of course in this case, it didn't help much... ouch.

    >Heal fast and well!!

    I'm doing pretty well, actually. Going to go see a sports physiologist tomorrow to get his opinion.
    In the morning I feel like a corpse but by the afternoon, I'm ready (almost) to go for a ride.

    >"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> "waxxer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > They are OK. However I would never use them on a road with driveways or cross traffic. Reaction
    >> > time is severely disabled by the reach and angle back to the hoods. I tried S.T.O.P.S. and
    >> > found that control while
    >braking
    >> >was also poor. I would recommend against them on the road--especially if your wheels have a
    >> >large side profile.
    >>
    >> That's ironic...
    >>
    >> http://www.habcycles.com/bikecrash.html
    >>
    >> I was indeed on my TT/Tri bike, but I also believe I was on the drops. It wouldn't have mattered
    >> much because I simply didn't see the truck squirt through stopped traffic until he was entering
    >> the bike lane, and doing so far too close to even slow down much.
    >>
    >> I couldn't swear I was on the drops, because I don't remember every detail - it's just that I
    >> am ALWAYS on the drops any time there's a chance someone will do something dumb. But yes, I
    >> would agree that you should use care riding aerobars in any urban settings - when in doubt, get
    >> on the drops.
    >>
    >> Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame
    >>
    >> >"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >news:[email protected]...

    >> >put
    >> >just

  10. zebra

    zebra Guest

    I thought aero bars were banned on the PBP ...

  11. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    >I thought aero bars were banned on the PBP ...

    I built a bike for a guy who rode PBP. He ended up on a tri bike with aerobars.

    The funny thing is, he started out wanting a road bike for the PBP, and brought over his current
    (old, beat up) bike to get some measurements.

    I couldn't believe it - he way he had it set up put everything in EXACTLY the same position as my
    own personal TT/Tri bike. I just went in, wheeled it out, and he test rode it (and said it fit
    better than his own bike).

    Don't know what that has to do with it, other than going fast and going long have certain things
    in common.