aerobars on cinellie rams?

lescor

Jul 26, 2003
I'm thinking of getting the integrated Cinelli Ram stem/bar combo for my new bike. The only thing holding me back is that I can't see any way to attach an aero bar to them for the occasional time trial. Is there anything that attaches to the stem instead of the bar that might work? Any other ideas?

Originally posted by lescor
I'm thinking of getting the integrated Cinelli Ram stem/bar combo for my new bike. The only thing holding me back is that I can't see any way to attach an aero bar to them for the occasional time trial. Is there anything that attaches to the stem instead of the bar that might work? Any other ideas?

I'm sure you are aware of the Deda Synapsi carbon integrated bar/stem. This combo has an extra area at the front of the stem for extra hand positions, a pseudo-aero postion - but not quite.

For full aero extensions you will need a specific aero bar. But I know of none that can attach to the Synapsi or the Ram.

Virtually all aero add-on bars attach to standard handle bars - most carbon fiber handle bars cannot accept the clamping forces that the aero bars need to secure properly. It's not that CF is weak, but the manufacturers usually do not put extra support in that area of the handle bar, only on the clamping face area for the stem. There are a few manufacturers which produce a carbon handle bar that can support an aero-bar, Kestrel being one of them.

If weight is an issue, most light-weight aluminum stem and handlebars will be the same or LIGHTER than the Ram or Synapsi.
If you're really digging to have carbon up there, get a carbon stem, and then a Kestrel bar.

Or better yet, go to calfeedesign.com :
http://www.calfeedesign.com/barstem.shtml

They will make you a custom integrated carbon stem/handlebar. I'm sure they could reinforce the bar area where an aero bar needs to clip onto - and the cost will be about the same as a Ram bar, BUT you would have a one-of-a-kind :)

Good luck.

Originally posted by lescor

If I was able to justify $500 for a set of bars, I'd probably buy a dedicated TT-bike as well!!:D

Deda Synapso is not UCI approved and don't has the large tt arm like a real time trial bar.

DONT USE A TT UPGRADE BAR (that you can mount on a handlebar) WITH YOUR CINELLI!.

Buy a ITM CX2 or Cinelli Angel One Piece Time Trial bar.

ITM has a full!!!! carbon areo bar, the ITM CFX2 carbon. it is $500, but if you like expensive handlebars, or like the natural carbon look, it might be a good choise).

yeh i would go for the Cinelli Angel One Piece Time Trial bar i have it on my time trial bike at the momment its a good bar comfortable as well which is always a plus

I have the RAM bars - bought them used on ebay, so the price wasn't that bad.

No, there is absolutely no way to attach clipon aero bars. And once you see the magnificent finish that is put on the RAM bars, you won't want to do anything to scuff it up. They are a work of art - truly the most beautifully finished cycling component I have ever seen. If you don't like them on your bike, you can always hang them on a wall as modern sculpture.

You might look at the Deda Synapsi bars, they have a semi aero section on the front.

You can get a Cinelli Ti stem(150 grams) + Cinelli Sub 200 bar( 200g) = 350 grams....... and be out the door for about $100 (ebay prices).

Then you get the Spinacci on there 200 grams..... and its multi adjustable.

Thats my 1-2-3 punch :)

BTW, the "C" is spelled "Cinelli" , gots to represent ;)