Aerobars over drops for 8 mile TT??

dsschanze

Jan 14, 2007
I'm sure this question has been asked, but I'm gonna ask it anyway:) . I am doing my first TT this weekend an 8 mile junior TT. I was talking to one of my friends this afternoon and he said that I really should get a pair of aerobars as it will be a 1-2 mph difference (I currently am doing 24-25mph. I was wondering if it was really worth it for this weekend, or if I should just wait and get them for the next TT I do.

--Derek

dsschanze said:
I'm sure this question has been asked, but I'm gonna ask it anyway:) . I am doing my first TT this weekend an 8 mile junior TT. I was talking to one of my friends this afternoon and he said that I really should get a pair of aerobars as it will be a 1-2 mph difference (I currently am doing 24-25mph. I was wondering if it was really worth it for this weekend, or if I should just wait and get them for the next TT I do.

--Derek
Aerobars really do help, but they also take some time to set up correctly and to get used to. Given that it's now Wednesday afternoon I wouldn't suggest running out and buying a pair, setting them up and racing on them this weekend. Among other things they take a bit of getting used to so you don't crash. It's also a real bad idea to try out gear in a race without some time using it in training first. Get some aero bars after the weekend and spend some time setting them up and getting used to them before your next time trial.

Good luck,
Dave

dsschanze said:

--Derek
I would ride this TT on a standard road position. Keep your hands in the drops, keep your head down, try to look out of the tops of your eyes while riding (safely). Ask a friend for help with trying to make your back flat. Or try it on a trainer while looking in the mirror.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice guys! I am definitely going to get some aerobars after this TT so I can train up for the next one!

Your friend is right - aerobars do make that much of a difference. And I agree with Dave that you should spend some time getting used to them before racing with them. A word of advice: when you are warming up for a TT, make sure you run the entire course and get to know which curves you'll have to come off the aerobars in order to take at speed. I didn't have the time to do this at one of my earliest races, entered a curve too hot to handle on the aeros, and came within inches of hitting the curb. Very scary, and very dumb.