aerobars

darksmaster923

Sep 25, 2007
hay, i am thinking of getting aerobars cuz i got a bunch of money for christmas and the headwinds around the beach are really slowing me down. the guy at my lbs said you cant put aerobars on cuz they wouldnt fit but i read some of the posts round here and they had put on aerobars. how would i get aerobars on?the clamp in the middle is only big enough to hold the stem. the other idea i have is to put the shim, which is longer than the clamp, in the middle of the bar and hold the bars that way.
like this(paint, duh)

6tellbs.jpg

Sometimes shims work, and sometimes they don't ...

Depending on your budget, you could:
  • scrounge around on eBay and get a USED set of "full" TT aerobars ...
  • buy a new OS (31.8) stem & handlebar + clip-ons ($100 should be your max since sometimes NEW TT bars are available for that amount when they are on sale)
  • just buy a "new" handlebar with a wider center section + clip ons
BTW. The ONLY handlebars I can recall seeing where the center section isn't wider than the clamp area are steel ... and, those may be less suitable for shimming.

For the next week-or-so, try riding on the drops of your handlebars (I'm presuming you've got ROAD bars -- is that right?) to see if you even like riding in that lowered position ...

alfeng said:
Sometimes shims work, and sometimes they don't ...

Depending on your budget, you could:
  • scrounge around on eBay and get a USED set of "full" TT aerobars ...
  • buy a new OS (31.8) stem & handlebar + clip-ons ($100 should be your max since sometimes NEW TT bars are available for that amount when they are on sale)
  • just buy a "new" handlebar with a wider center section + clip ons
BTW. The ONLY handlebars I can recall seeing where the center section isn't wider than the clamp area are steel ... and, those may be less suitable for shimming.

For the next week-or-so, try riding on the drops of your handlebars (I'm presuming you've got ROAD bars -- is that right?) to see if you even like riding in that lowered position ...
dont have road bars