Aerobic vs Anaerobic

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by milwaukeehaze, Mar 7, 2006.

1. milwaukeehaze

milwaukeehaze New Member

I am an avid cyclist mainly Spring thru Fall, but recently joined a gym to get fit off-season and lose weight. I started about 6 weeks ago taking a spin class Monday, Wednesday & Friday every week at 6:00 - 6:50 a.m. The classes vary widely in what we do...strength spins, endurance spins and intervals. I also bought a HRM so I can keep up with what the instructor is wanting us to do.

To my question...I am eating wisely, as I always have, but have not lost any weight except maybe a pound. I have recently read that the best way is to stay at an aerobic rate, maybe around 65% of Max Heart Rate for weight loss. It seems that in my spin classes I have been way above this rate more than within it, so am I just burning carbs/sugars/glycogen stores rather than fat? I am about 10-15 lbs. overweight, so could this be the issue?

My goal is to first lose the weight and then train to do some casual races this Summer. Any advice on this would be great.

Thank you in advance!!

Tags:

2. Future-pro

Future-pro New Member

The whole idea of burning more fat in the aerobic zones is true but even though in the anerobic zone you burn less fat you burn more calories so in the end it's best to do anerobic sessions where possible and another good thing is that after anerobic sessions your body will still be burning calories where after an aerobic session your body stops burning calories as soon as you stop exercising.

3. WarrenG

WarrenG New Member

Less than 3 hours per week of training? That's not enough time to cause the big changes that will help your body get better at burning fat for fuel. When you start doing 2+ hour rides at around 70-80% of your MHR you can look forward to more effective fat-burning.

4. FrankBattle

FrankBattle New Member

I'll assume you are not overweight, but just want to lose another 10 lbs. At this point, it's harder as you are closer to a "natural" weight and probably do not have as much fat to burn. In addition to other responses you may get that offer you more about anaerobic vs aerobic sessions, consider limiting your calories such that you are 500 calories per day below your daily BMR requirements (basic metabolic rate). Since we are cut from different pieces of cloth, it may not be automatic that you end up losing the theoretical 1 pound a week by doing that, but you ought to see some results if you are diligent. I did this and have dropped 15 lbs since November.

I too do spin when I can, but I count my calories and work out intensely with a stat. bike and jogging ..

5. WarrenG

WarrenG New Member

First off, yes, anaerobic training will burn more calories per hour, but aerobic training is better for training your body to burn fat. It does this be developing more mitochondrial density and effectiveness, as well as some enzyme improvements, and improving the power producing ability of slow twitch fibers.

Second, where do you get the idea that anaerobic training burns more calories after training than aerobic training, or that "after an aerobic session your body stops burning calories as soon as you stop exercising"?

You know that old saying among gym folk that increasing your muscle mass by a few pounds will burn more calories throughout the day? Have you ever learned just how many more calories that could be? It's tiny, virtually insignificant, but if everyone knew that the gym folks might not get you to keep coming back.

6. milwaukeehaze

milwaukeehaze New Member

I know it's not much training right now, but in past years I was quite sedentary over the Winter (Wisconsin). I am just wondering why I haven't lost any weight yet because my goal is to first shed the majority of the weight and then focus hard on training when I can get out on the bike, which would be 2 - 3 days per week of 2 - 3 hours of riding each day.

7. WarrenG

WarrenG New Member

See the replies above for the answers. You'll probably do much better with the fat burning once you're doing those longer rides. In the meantime, how about cross-country skiing?

8. milwaukeehaze

milwaukeehaze New Member

That's a good idea, but the mild Winter and lack of snow make that a difficult one. I think I may jog/run on Tuesday & Thursday mornings...the mornings when spinning isn't available. I may also try reducing my calories just a bit and see what happens. One more question to you...is it true that cardio in the morning (just after waking) is better for weight loss than in the evening after ingesting food/calories all day. Just something I heard a few times.

Thanks for your comments and advice!

9. WarrenG

WarrenG New Member

If you're exercising less than an hour then you have enough glycogen to get you through without really eating beforehand (in the morning). By the end of the day you've increased your blood sugar a little higher so you can probably perform better. Either way won't really affect your ability to burn fat.

People that think they can burn more fat by not eating before longer exercise forget that your body will scavenge for its energy needs by cannibilizing muscle tissue. IOW, if you don't provide enough carbs then your body will get some energy by destroying muscle.

A similar mistake is people who eat lots of carbs for fuel beforehand and this can bias your body towards burning more carbs for fuel and you may also produce more lactate during a given effort.

10. sidewind

sidewind New Member

Maybe your muscles have grown and the muscle weight as well.

If you ride one hour with good pace, your energy consumption might be like 800 - 900 kcals/h, meaning you'd lose about 100 g fat per spinning hour. Was it two spins/weak, and 6 weaks, totally you'd lost about 1 kg fat. And it's very easy to have +-1 kg weight fluctuations from just water intake/output.

11. milwaukeehaze

milwaukeehaze New Member

Thanks for all of the advice and I think you are absolutely correct with the "muscle building" because I can tell that the waistline of my pants fits a slight bit looser than normal, but my overall weight has not changed. Some days our instructors have us doing "endurance spins" where our heart rates stay around 70%-75% for the full 50 minutes, but days like today we did "intervals" where at least 5 times we did climbs bringing our heart rates up to 85%-90%. So, I am sure I have been building some muscle in my legs to counter act the weight I have lost elsewhere.

I guess I will just keep on chuggin' away and now that the weather will be warming up, I will be trying to ride a few hours on the weekend.

12. WarrenG

WarrenG New Member

There you go. Peek at the scale but LOOK at the mirror.