Aerodynamic Backpack???

ovalbackmarker

Oct 1, 2006
I know this is going to sound crazy and everyone will tell me it's all in my head, but I have been testing this for 2 weeks now. I ride faster with a backpack on. For my commute to work, I have to carry clothes, lunch, etc. I bought a new, very rounded backpack and I ride consistently 1/2 to 1 MPH faster while wearing it.Is there any reasoning for this? I stuffed it full of bubble wrap to give it shape and went out on my regular road bike instead of my cyclocross commuter and got the same results. I may try it on a club ride this weekend. Any thoughts?

That's great if backpacks make you more aero, as I always go biking with one. I don't see how all those other bikers go for a workout with just a jersey on and no gear to fix a flat. Always got gear in my backpack for flat it it has saved me many times.

I think they make you more aero because they act like a fairing. Like a TT helmet is faired.

JTE83 said:
That's great if backpacks make you more aero, as I always go biking with one. I don't see how all those other bikers go for a workout with just a jersey on and no gear to fix a flat. Always got gear in my backpack for flat it it has saved me many times.

I have a micro saddle bag that has everything required (ex pump which I carry separately) to fix up to 5-6 flats (spare tube, tyre lever plus patch kit). I carry it in a jersey pocket. Who needs a backpack for something that is a little bigger than say the average packet of cigarettes?

--brett

ovalbackmarker said:
I know this is going to sound crazy and everyone will tell me it's all in my head, but I have been testing this for 2 weeks now. I ride faster with a backpack on. For my commute to work, I have to carry clothes, lunch, etc. I bought a new, very rounded backpack and I ride consistently 1/2 to 1 MPH faster while wearing it.Is there any reasoning for this? I stuffed it full of bubble wrap to give it shape and went out on my regular road bike instead of my cyclocross commuter and got the same results. I may try it on a club ride this weekend. Any thoughts?

I'd be hard pressed to be convinced without power data and environmental data to go along with what you think is happening. The problem, now, is that you expect those results, so it could be a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy that you are continuing to get those results. IOW, you expect certain results, so you subconciously pedal to get those results.

I'm not saying that what you're detecting isn't real and isn't a result of the backpack; however, a lot more would have to be known to be sure: shape, size of backpack; your normal riding position; and etc. How you feel before each ride and the time of day for each ride are also important factors.

In the last two weeks or so I saw two weekend morning riders at traffic lights, both of them had this bulge behind their shoulders. There seemed to be some sort of structure underneath their jersey that tents up. It looked really odd and I wondered if it was meant to be some sort of aero gear.

ovalbackmarker said:
Frickin' trend setters...

off to get a backpack.

Everybody's doing it!

How much weight? If you're riding on a slightly downhill grade, it could definatly make you faster. Climbing is a different story, though

Maybe the psychology of having to get to work for a specific time and the desire to return home quickly after a shift.