Aerodynamics and flat back in drops

jackz9999

Jul 19, 2004
When I try to flatten my back and make it parallel with the ground, I need to bend my elbows 90 degrees when in the drops. The pro's that I see on TV usually have a flat back when riding in the drops with their arms fully extended. Do their frames have longer top tubes, or do they have normal frames with a special component setup?

I am 5'10'', feel relatively limber, and ride a 56 cm Felt.

jackz9999 said:
When I try to flatten my back and make it parallel with the ground, I need to bend my elbows 90 degrees when in the drops. The pro's that I see on TV usually have a flat back when riding in the drops with their arms fully extended. Do their frames have longer top tubes, or do they have normal frames with a special component setup?

I am 5'10'', feel relatively limber, and ride a 56 cm Felt.

It's prolly a combination of things. First they tend to have a lot more drop (height difference between saddle and bar tops). They seem to use some pretty long stems, too....although this is a result of whatever frame they're on.

alienator said:
It's prolly a combination of things. First they tend to have a lot more drop (height difference between saddle and bar tops). They seem to use some pretty long stems, too....although this is a result of whatever frame they're on.
all of whats been said so far is true, you may also need no be more flexable. I used to have tight back muscles, and hip flexors, as a result i could not get the same degree of bend at waist. Try streching or get some aero bars!:D