Aerohead rim cracking

what's my assumption? why is it [whatever "it" may be] unwarranted?

i merely raise a point of interest because istr being lectured about how perpendicular cracking
modes are not seen because of a rim's compressive hoop stress.

Jim Beam / Jack Daniels / Cutty Sark writes:

>>> Don't you think it interesting to see cracks perpendicular to maximum compressive stress?

>> You are making an unwarranted assumption, especially in light of the opening crack. Instead of
>> posing rhetorical questions, you might add some perspective to this subject.

> what's my assumption? why is it [whatever "it" may be] unwarranted?

Your assumption about "maximum compressive stress" is incorrect because otherwise the crack wouldn't
separate (tension) as shown.

> i merely raise a point of interest because istr being lectured about how perpendicular cracking
> modes are not seen because of a rim's compressive hoop stress.

I think you'll have to put all that in context if you want your thinking to be apparent in this
thread. I certainly did not say that and I don't know who did. Why don't you explain how you think
it occurs instead of these insinuations by rhetorical questions.

>> No, I don't find that interesting because that shows that the principal stress at this location
>> is tension from nipple outward bending force. As others have reported, star-burst failures have
>> also occurred.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

> Why don't you explain how you think it occurs instead of these insinuations by rhetorical
> questions.

Dear Jobst,

You forgot the question mark on your own insinuating rhetorical question.

Carl Fogel

Carl Fogel wrote:

> Dear Jobst,
>
> You forgot the question mark on your own insinuating rhetorical question.

Carl, please don't taunt the curmudgeon. That sort of thing never ends well.

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:50:33 -0800, Terry Morse <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Carl, please don't taunt the curmudgeon. That sort of thing never ends well.

And in this case, that particular curmudgeon has a long track record of being right !