Aerohead rim cracking

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Song, Feb 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Guest

what's my assumption? why is it [whatever "it" may be] unwarranted?

i merely raise a point of interest because istr being lectured about how perpendicular cracking
    modes are not seen because of a rim's compressive hoop stress.

[email protected] wrote:
    > Jim Beam / Jack Daniels writes:
    >
    >
    >>Don't you think it interesting to see cracks perpendicular to maximum compressive stress?
    >
    >
    > You are making an unwarranted assumption, especially in light of the opening crack. Instead of
    > posing rhetorical questions, you might add some perspective to this subject.
    >
    > No, I don't find that interesting because that shows that the principal stress at this location is
    > tension from nipple outward bending force. As others have reported, star-burst failures have also
    > occurred.
    >
    > Jobst Brandt [email protected]

2. Jobst Brandt

Jobst Brandt Guest

Jim Beam / Jack Daniels / Cutty Sark writes:

>>> Don't you think it interesting to see cracks perpendicular to maximum compressive stress?

>> You are making an unwarranted assumption, especially in light of the opening crack. Instead of
    >> posing rhetorical questions, you might add some perspective to this subject.

> what's my assumption? why is it [whatever "it" may be] unwarranted?

Your assumption about "maximum compressive stress" is incorrect because otherwise the crack wouldn't
    separate (tension) as shown.

> i merely raise a point of interest because istr being lectured about how perpendicular cracking
    > modes are not seen because of a rim's compressive hoop stress.

I think you'll have to put all that in context if you want your thinking to be apparent in this
    thread. I certainly did not say that and I don't know who did. Why don't you explain how you think
    it occurs instead of these insinuations by rhetorical questions.

>> No, I don't find that interesting because that shows that the principal stress at this location
    >> is tension from nipple outward bending force. As others have reported, star-burst failures have
    >> also occurred.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

3. Carl Fogel

Carl Fogel Guest

[email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Why don't you explain how you think it occurs instead of these insinuations by rhetorical
    > questions.
    >

Dear Jobst,

You forgot the question mark on your own insinuating rhetorical question.

Carl Fogel

4. Terry Morse

Terry Morse Guest

Carl Fogel wrote:

> Dear Jobst,
    >
    > You forgot the question mark on your own insinuating rhetorical question.

Carl, please don't taunt the curmudgeon. That sort of thing never ends well.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/

5. Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley Guest

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:50:33 -0800, Terry Morse <[email protected]>
    wrote:

>Carl, please don't taunt the curmudgeon. That sort of thing never ends well.

And in this case, that particular curmudgeon has a long track record of being right !

6. Tom Sherman

Tom Sherman Guest

[email protected] wrote:

> Jim Beam / Jack Daniels / Cutty Sark writes:...

It is actually Johnny Walker. ;)

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.