Aerohead rim cracking

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Song, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. Jim Beam

    Jim Beam Guest

    what's my assumption? why is it [whatever "it" may be] unwarranted?

    i merely raise a point of interest because istr being lectured about how perpendicular cracking
    modes are not seen because of a rim's compressive hoop stress.

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Jim Beam / Jack Daniels writes:
    >

    >>Don't you think it interesting to see cracks perpendicular to maximum compressive stress?
    >

    > You are making an unwarranted assumption, especially in light of the opening crack. Instead of
    > posing rhetorical questions, you might add some perspective to this subject.
    >
    > No, I don't find that interesting because that shows that the principal stress at this location is
    > tension from nipple outward bending force. As others have reported, star-burst failures have also
    > occurred.
    >
    > Jobst Brandt [email protected]

  2. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Jim Beam / Jack Daniels / Cutty Sark writes:

    >>> Don't you think it interesting to see cracks perpendicular to maximum compressive stress?

    >> You are making an unwarranted assumption, especially in light of the opening crack. Instead of
    >> posing rhetorical questions, you might add some perspective to this subject.

    > what's my assumption? why is it [whatever "it" may be] unwarranted?

    Your assumption about "maximum compressive stress" is incorrect because otherwise the crack wouldn't
    separate (tension) as shown.

    > i merely raise a point of interest because istr being lectured about how perpendicular cracking
    > modes are not seen because of a rim's compressive hoop stress.

    I think you'll have to put all that in context if you want your thinking to be apparent in this
    thread. I certainly did not say that and I don't know who did. Why don't you explain how you think
    it occurs instead of these insinuations by rhetorical questions.

    >> No, I don't find that interesting because that shows that the principal stress at this location
    >> is tension from nipple outward bending force. As others have reported, star-burst failures have
    >> also occurred.

    Jobst Brandt [email protected]

  3. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    > Why don't you explain how you think it occurs instead of these insinuations by rhetorical
    > questions.

    Dear Jobst,

    You forgot the question mark on your own insinuating rhetorical question.

    Carl Fogel

  4. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Carl Fogel wrote:

    > Dear Jobst,
    >
    > You forgot the question mark on your own insinuating rhetorical question.

    Carl, please don't taunt the curmudgeon. That sort of thing never ends well.

  5. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:50:33 -0800, Terry Morse <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Carl, please don't taunt the curmudgeon. That sort of thing never ends well.

    And in this case, that particular curmudgeon has a long track record of being right !

  6. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Jim Beam / Jack Daniels / Cutty Sark writes:...

    It is actually Johnny Walker. ;)