Aerohead rims: Any stress crack problems?

Jeff S.

Guest
Hello. I'm looking for a black or grey rim that comes in both 28 and 32 drilling under 440g. I'm
thinking of the Aerohead, but both the Campy Montreal and Open Pro CD have double eyelets. An
off-center rim would be a plus for the rear wheel. Any historical problems with the Velocity
Aerohead or other recommendations.

Thanks again for your help.

"Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello. I'm looking for a black or grey rim that comes in both 28 and 32 drilling under 440g. I'm
> thinking of the Aerohead, but both the Campy Montreal and Open Pro CD have double eyelets. An
> off-center rim would be a plus for the rear wheel. Any historical problems with the Velocity
> Aerohead or other recommendations.
>
> Thanks again for your help.

I have some 5 year old American Classic wheels built on Aeroheads. The front is nice and light. The
rear 32 hole rim has a crack on both sides of every eyelet. I just picked up a CXP 21 to replace it
since it's the exact same effective diameter. $18!

http://www.chucksbikes.com/mavcxp21.htm

"Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hello. I'm looking for a black or grey rim that comes in both 28 and 32 drilling under 440g. I'm
> > thinking of the Aerohead, but both the Campy Montreal and Open Pro CD have double eyelets. An
> > off-center rim would
be a
> > plus for the rear wheel. Any historical problems with the Velocity
Aerohead
> > or other recommendations.
> >
> > Thanks again for your help.
>
> I have some 5 year old American Classic wheels built on Aeroheads. The front is nice and light.
> The rear 32 hole rim has a crack on both sides of every eyelet. I just picked up a CXP 21 to
> replace it since it's the exact same effective diameter. $18!
>
> http://www.chucksbikes.com/mavcxp21.htm

The current Velocity Aeroheads don't have eyelets. Did the 5 year old ones on the American Classic
wheels have eyelets? .... or do you mean their are cracks at each of the spoke holes?? Were their
cracks at every one, both front and rear? What was the spoke configuration (3 cross, radial, etc.)?
What kind of spokes (14 G straight or some double butted spokes)?

David Ornee

jeff-<< Hello. I'm looking for a black or grey rim that comes in both 28 and 32 drilling under 440g.
I'm thinking of the Aerohead, but both the Campy Montreal and Open Pro CD have double eyelets.

Montreals are 'single eyelet', but I wouldn't recommend them...

<< An off-center rim would be a plus for the rear wheel. Any historical problems with the Velocity
Aerohead or other recommendations.

Built many and they have an OCR rear, nice rims all around. Built with sufficient spokes for you and
your needs.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> jeff-<< Hello. I'm looking for a black or grey rim that comes in both 28 and 32 drilling under
> 440g. I'm thinking of the Aerohead, but both the Campy Montreal and Open Pro CD have double
> eyelets.
>
> Montreals are 'single eyelet', but I wouldn't recommend them...

I've had good luck in the past with several models of Campagnolo rims. What in particular is wrong
with the Montreal rim?

Mark McMaster [email protected]

"David Ornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<37fxa.16388$%[email protected]>...
> "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Hello. I'm looking for a black or grey rim that comes in both 28 and 32 drilling under 440g.
> > > I'm thinking of the Aerohead, but both the Campy Montreal and Open Pro CD have double eyelets.
> > > An off-center rim would
> be a
> > > plus for the rear wheel. Any historical problems with the Velocity
> Aerohead
> > > or other recommendations.
> > >
> > > Thanks again for your help.
> >
> > I have some 5 year old American Classic wheels built on Aeroheads. The front is nice and light.
> > The rear 32 hole rim has a crack on both sides of every eyelet. I just picked up a CXP 21 to
> > replace it since it's the exact same effective diameter. $18!
> >
> > http://www.chucksbikes.com/mavcxp21.htm
>
> The current Velocity Aeroheads don't have eyelets. Did the 5 year old ones on the American Classic
> wheels have eyelets? .... or do you mean their are cracks at each of the spoke holes?? Were their
> cracks at every one, both front and rear? What was the spoke configuration (3 cross, radial,
> etc.)? What kind of spokes (14 G straight or some double butted spokes)?
>
> David Ornee

Sorry - I misspoke. There are crask going perpendicular to the rim center at each spoke "Hole".
Every one of the 32 rear spoke holes had cracks. The front is totally fine for some reason despite a
couple crashes on them.

The front is radial laced, the rear is radial non-drive. 3x drive. The spokes are all double butted
DT spokes.

I still ride these wheels on my fair weather commuter since they are light enough to be responsive,
but old enough that if I toast them, I won't feel too bad. I just finished rebuilding the rear with
the CXP21 and it looks nice with the Velocity. Very similar looking rims.

-a

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message

> Frequently seen cracks around many eyelets after little use. 32 hole, 14/15 spkes, tensioned to
> 100 kgf, built by me...

I have also built 32 hole, 3x wheels using 14/15 spokes but tensioned to 140 kg on the drive
side. Have cracks at all eyelets on the drive side (but none on nondrive side). I had assumed the
cause was the high tension on the drive side and wouldn't expect cracks if the tension was
limited to 100 kg.

Dave

> [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
> > Frequently seen cracks around many eyelets after little use. 32 hole,
14/15
> > spkes, tensioned to 100 kgf, built by me...

"Dave S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have also built 32 hole, 3x wheels using 14/15 spokes but tensioned to 140 kg on the drive
> side. Have cracks at all eyelets on the drive side (but none on nondrive side). I had assumed the
> cause was the high tension on the drive side and wouldn't expect cracks if the tension was
> limited to 100 kg.

I build quite a few Montreals (mostly 36, some 32h) and haven't had that experience.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> "Dave S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I have also built 32 hole, 3x wheels using 14/15 spokes but tensioned to 140 kg on the drive
> > side. Have cracks at all eyelets on the drive side (but none on nondrive side). I had assumed
> > the cause was the high tension on the drive side and wouldn't expect cracks if the tension was
> > limited to 100 kg.
>
> I build quite a few Montreals (mostly 36, some 32h) and haven't had that experience.
> --

I have - on the 2 rears I have built and the only other rear Montreal I've seen. Aeroheads also
crack but after more kilometres. Mark Lee