aerohead vs razor

Belij3

Guest
I know this has been discussed before, but in reading past threads, I did not see an explanation of
the difference. I know the razor used to be listed as 400 grams, but velocity now lists them as 450
and the aerohead as 400. Did they increase the weight of the razor to make them stronger? Other than
looks, is there a reason one should prefer one of these over the other? The new off center rear
aerohead should be a preference for some.

belij-<< I know this has been discussed before, but in reading past threads, I did not see an
explanation of the difference.

Aerohead is a delta shaped design, no eyelets, Razor is a more boxy shape, single eyelets. Razor is
the heavier of the two. As you mentioned, the aerohead has an offcenter rear, the razor does not. If
coupled with the proper spoke number and gauge and a good build, both make for great wheelsets.

Belij3 wrote:
> I know this has been discussed before, but in reading past threads, I did not see an explanation
> of the difference. I know the razor used to be listed as 400 grams, but velocity now lists them as
> 450 and the aerohead as 400. Did they increase the weight of the razor to make them stronger?
> Other than looks, is there a reason one should prefer one of these over the other? The new off
> center rear aerohead should be a preference for some.

Peter Chisholm replied:
> Aerohead is a delta shaped design, no eyelets, Razor is a more boxy shape, single eyelets. Razor
> is the heavier of the two. As you mentioned, the aerohead has an offcenter rear, the razor does
> not. If coupled with the proper spoke number and gauge and a good build, both make for great
> wheelsets.

What about the original question: Was the Razor redesigned at a heavier weight? Given that caveat
that sample weights can have a larger variation, I weighed some Velocity rims about a year ago, and
my two samples of Razor rims (403g,
413g) were lighter than my one sample of an Aerohead rim
(413h). Is the Razor now heavier than it once was?

Mark McMaster [email protected]

Mark-<< Is the Razor now heavier than it once was?

Don't know, don't have any in the shop-

Razor has eyelets. http://www.yellowjersey.org/velocity.html

>Razor has eyelets.

Didn"t they have eyelets when they were listed as 400gms? B