Affixing Speedo Magnet to Flat Spokes?

Mike Elliott

Guest
My Specialized Allez Dolce has Shimano bladed stainless steel spokes.

The magnet holder for my Supergo computer's speedo function is built with round spokes in mind.

The width of the bladed spokes exceeds the width of the slot in the magnet holder. The slot is not a
good candidate for widening -- I could sketch the holder but can't describe it well. Let's just say
that a machinist could modify it, but in its unmodified form it does not impress with its ability to
hold onto a spoke. Post-modification it would be pretty pitiful.

So -- suggestions on affixing a magnet to a flat stainless spoke that has been finished with some
kind of black color would be greatly appreciated.

Barring that, a good knock-knock joke would help pass the time.

MikeE

Mike Elliott wrote:
> So -- suggestions on affixing a magnet to a flat stainless spoke that has been finished with some
> kind of black color would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Barring that, a good knock-knock joke would help pass the time.

I put the magnet down close to the hub where the spokes are round. This has the additional advantage
of not unbalancing the wheel so much. I got sort of sea sick when the magnet was out toward the rim.
The bike kept speeding up and slowing down as the wheel went around. <g

Mike,

Mike Elliott wrote:
> My Specialized Allez Dolce has Shimano bladed stainless steel spokes.
>
> The magnet holder for my Supergo computer's speedo function is built with round spokes in mind.

Most are.

> The width of the bladed spokes exceeds the width of the slot in the magnet holder. The slot is not
> a good candidate for widening -- I could sketch the holder but can't describe it well. Let's just
> say that a machinist could modify it, but in its unmodified form it does not impress with its
> ability to hold onto a spoke. Post-modification it would be pretty pitiful.

You can modify this slot with a cheap jewelers file. I have done several. These magnet holders are
basically plated brass so they file easily. What you need is a very small file so you can get a
start, which can be found very inexpensively at places like ACE hardware.

Start by removing the screw and then angle the file into the slot and carefully cut with the edge of
the file into either side of the bottom at the slot. It might be easier to get a rat tail version
and just oval out the bottom of the slot. You don't need to take much off- just enough that after
you start at the round end of the spoke, you can slide it onto the bladed part.

In my experience, start to finish is about 10-15 minutes.

Terry

Mike Elliott wrote:

>My Specialized Allez Dolce has Shimano bladed stainless steel spokes.
>
>The magnet holder for my Supergo computer's speedo function is built with round spokes in mind.
>
>The width of the bladed spokes exceeds the width of the slot in the magnet holder. The slot is not
>a good candidate for widening -- I could sketch the holder but can't describe it well. Let's just
>say that a machinist could modify it, but in its unmodified form it does not impress with its
>ability to hold onto a spoke. Post-modification it would be pretty pitiful.
>
>So -- suggestions on affixing a magnet to a flat stainless spoke that has been finished with some
>kind of black color would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Barring that, a good knock-knock joke would help pass the time.
>
>MikeE

Some of Shimano's wheels include a small rare-earth magnet in a plastic holder that snaps onto a
flat-bladed spoke. They also include some tiny aluminum wrenches for adjusting spokes without
twisting them, and a valve extender. I only include this information on the chance that you have the
magnet and misplaced it. Shimano sells the magnet separately, but IIRC it's about $15, pretty
grossly overpriced. Also, it does not fit all bladed spokes; Rolf spokes, for example, are too wide.

Another option is to use a 5 or 6 mm dia. disc rare earth magnet, and glue it directly to the spoke
with epoxy or superglue. Degrease both before gluing. I rode a wheel with a glued-on magnet, which
worked fine until a stone kicked up from another rider's bike knocked it off. I wouldn't try this
with the big ceramic magnets included with most speedometers.

Dave Lehnen

Mike-<< Shimano bladed stainless steel spokes.

The magnet holder for my Supergo computer's speedo function is built with round spokes in mind.

Cateye makes a nice magnet for bladed spokes.

"Waldo Hinshaw" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mike Elliott wrote:
>> So -- suggestions on affixing a magnet to a flat stainless spoke that has been finished with some
>> kind of black color would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Barring that, a good knock-knock joke would help pass the time.
>>

> I put the magnet down close to the hub where the spokes are round. This has the additional
> advantage of not unbalancing the wheel so much. I got sort of sea sick when the magnet was out
> toward the rim. The bike kept speeding up and slowing down as the wheel went around. <g>

I put my magnet out by the rim, where the spokes are also round (a Rolf wheel). But I made sure it
was opposite the valve (as near as possible) so that it actually improves the balance of the wheel.
Plus you have less air resistance from the wire going down the fork blade.

--
Ray Heindl (remove the X to reply)

Specialized sells a stick-on magnet that will work for you.
http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProduct.jsp?section=13200&browselevel=sparep
arts&JServSessionIdroot=vz1v7vvl7l.j27002

(you may need to click the "U.S." link to reach this URL)

"Mike Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My Specialized Allez Dolce has Shimano bladed stainless steel spokes.
>
> The magnet holder for my Supergo computer's speedo function is built with round spokes in mind.
>
> The width of the bladed spokes exceeds the width of the slot in the magnet holder. The slot is not
> a good candidate for widening -- I could sketch the holder but can't describe it well. Let's just
> say that a machinist could modify it, but in its unmodified form it does not impress with its
> ability to hold onto a spoke. Post-modification it would be pretty pitiful.
>
> So -- suggestions on affixing a magnet to a flat stainless spoke that has been finished with some
> kind of black color would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Barring that, a good knock-knock joke would help pass the time.
>
> MikeE

> You can modify this slot with a cheap jewelers file. I have done several. These magnet holders are
> basically plated brass so they file easily. What you need is a very small file so you can get a
> start, which can be found very inexpensively at places like ACE hardware.
>
> Start by removing the screw and then angle the file into the slot and carefully cut with the edge
> of the file into either side of the bottom at the slot. It might be easier to get a rat tail
> version and just oval out the bottom of the slot. You don't need to take much off- just enough
> that after you start at the round end of the spoke, you can slide it onto the bladed part.
>
> In my experience, start to finish is about 10-15 minutes.
>
> Terry
>

>> So -- suggestions on affixing a magnet to a flat stainless spoke that has been finished with some
>> kind of black color would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Barring that, a good knock-knock joke would help pass the time.
>>
>> MikeE

I do a modified version of the above. Enlarge the bottom of the slot wit a drill large enough to
accommodate the blade. Slide on sideways and rotate. Bill

I read that [email protected] said in article <3E496DCA.5030903 @nospamatt.net>, . . .
> >> So -- suggestions on affixing a magnet to a flat stainless spoke that has been finished with
> >> some kind of black color would be greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >> Barring that, a good knock-knock joke would help pass the time.
> >>
> >> MikeE
>
> > You can modify this slot with a cheap jewelers file.
> >
> > Start by removing the screw and then angle the file into the slot and carefully cut with the
> > edge of the file into either side of the bottom at the slot. You don't need to take much off-
> > just enough that after you start at the round end of the spoke, you can slide it onto the
> > bladed part.
> >

> I do a modified version of the above. Enlarge the bottom of the slot wit a drill large enough to
> accommodate the blade. Slide on sideways and rotate. Bill

Bill, that's pretty much what I'm thinking I'll might do. The adhesive magnet solution sounds iffy
to me. The suggestions from fellows to mount the magnet at the ends of the spoke, where they are
round, is a good one, but these wheels' spokes are flat all the way to where they snake into their
rim holes. The only place they are round is down near the hub, but there's no room between the
spokes and the fork ends to allow the Supergo's speedo sensor to squeeze in. At least not if I don't
want to hear "Thwack, thwack, thwack, pt-TWAAANNG!"

I'd like to know more about the Cateye magnet mount for bladed spokes that another helpful person
mentioned. I was able to obtain the part number from Cateye -- 169-9691 -- but I'll be darned if I
can find that
P/N on their site, www.cateye.com. A search function they could use.

MikeE

Ray Heindl wrote:

> I put my magnet out by the rim, where the spokes are also round (a Rolf wheel). But I made sure it
> was opposite the valve (as near as possible) so that it actually improves the balance of the
> wheel. Plus you have less air resistance from the wire going down the fork blade.
>
> --
> Ray Heindl (remove the X to reply)

I'll add that installations with the magnet near the rim also look clean. The sensor stays way up
near the top of the fork, so there's no unsightly wire or wire ties going down the fork.

Barry

Any magnet would do - even a refrigerator magnet with a piece of packing tape behind it. It is
hardly critical, it just needs to close a steel/brass reed switch inside the sensor. The aesethetics
are probably the sticking point, right?

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971 "Mike Elliott"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My Specialized Allez Dolce has Shimano bladed stainless steel spokes.
>
> The magnet holder for my Supergo computer's speedo function is built with round spokes in mind.
>
> The width of the bladed spokes exceeds the width of the slot in the magnet holder. The slot is not
> a good candidate for widening -- I could sketch the holder but can't describe it well. Let's just
> say that a machinist could modify it, but in its unmodified form it does not impress with its
> ability to hold onto a spoke. Post-modification it would be pretty pitiful.
>
> So -- suggestions on affixing a magnet to a flat stainless spoke that has been finished with some
> kind of black color would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Barring that, a good knock-knock joke would help pass the time.
>
> MikeE

> I read that [email protected] said in article <3E496DCA.5030903 @nospamatt.net>, . . .

> > > You can modify this slot with a cheap jewelers file.
> > >
> > > Start by removing the screw and then angle the file into the slot and carefully cut with the
> > > edge of the file into either side of the bottom at the slot. You don't need to take much off-
> > > just enough that after you start at the round end of the spoke, you can
slide
> > > it onto the bladed part.
> > >

> > I do a modified version of the above. Enlarge the bottom of the slot wit a drill large enough to
> > accommodate the blade. Slide on sideways and rotate. Bill

"Mike Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bill, that's pretty much what I'm thinking I'll might do. The adhesive magnet solution sounds iffy
> to me. The suggestions from fellows to mount the magnet at the ends of the spoke, where they are
> round, is a good one, but these wheels' spokes are flat all the way to where they snake into their
> rim holes. The only place they are round is down near the hub, but there's no room between the
> spokes and the fork ends to allow the Supergo's speedo sensor to squeeze in. At least not if I
> don't want to hear "Thwack, thwack, thwack, pt-TWAAANNG!"
>
> I'd like to know more about the Cateye magnet mount for bladed spokes that another helpful person
> mentioned. I was able to obtain the part number from Cateye -- 169-9691 -- but I'll be darned if I
> can find that
> P/N on their site, www.cateye.com. A search function they could use.

I think the Cateye has become the standard replacement magnet at most shops - did you ride over to
your LBS yet?

"Mike Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My Specialized Allez Dolce has Shimano bladed stainless steel spokes.
>
> The magnet holder for my Supergo computer's speedo function is built with round spokes in mind.
>
> The width of the bladed spokes exceeds the width of the slot in the magnet holder. The slot is not
> a good candidate for widening -- I could sketch the holder but can't describe it well. Let's just
> say that a machinist could modify it, but in its unmodified form it does not impress with its
> ability to hold onto a spoke. Post-modification it would be pretty pitiful.
>
> So -- suggestions on affixing a magnet to a flat stainless spoke that has been finished with some
> kind of black color would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Bilenky the frame builder showed me a set of Campy Neutron wheels with 24 flat spokes. I asked
him how I could attach my magnet from my Cateye computer. He showed me a small round magnetic button
that attaches to a single spoke. However, I don't know where he got it. You might want to call him
and ask. (215)329-4744.

> Barring that, a good knock-knock joke would help pass the time.
>
> MikeE

"Mike Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'd like to know more about the Cateye magnet mount for bladed spokes that another helpful person
> mentioned. I was able to obtain the part number from Cateye -- 169-9691 -- but I'll be darned if I
> can find that
> P/N on their site, www.cateye.com. A search function they could use.

Polar HR Monitors with bicycle functions come with two magnets. One of them fits nicely on my Rolf
wheels. It is also very much lighter.

--
Replace the dots to reply

Perre

I wonder if two of the thin refrigerator type magnets of about 3 times the width of the spoke and
maybe 1/2" wide would work. Just place a magnet on each side so they hold them selves on the spoke.
I would put two layers together and then cut them out in the desired shape.

--
Cy Galley, TC - Chair, Emergency Aircraft Repair, Oshkosh

Editor, EAA Safety Programs [email protected] or [email protected]

Always looking for articles for the Experimenter

"Wayne T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mike Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My Specialized Allez Dolce has Shimano bladed stainless steel spokes.
> >
> > The magnet holder for my Supergo computer's speedo function is built with round spokes in mind.
> >
> > The width of the bladed spokes exceeds the width of the slot in the magnet holder. The slot is
> > not a good candidate for widening -- I could sketch the holder but can't describe it well. Let's
> > just say that a machinist could modify it, but in its unmodified form it does not impress with
> > its ability to hold onto a spoke. Post-modification it would be pretty pitiful.
> >
> > So -- suggestions on affixing a magnet to a flat stainless spoke that has been finished with
> > some kind of black color would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Steve Bilenky the frame builder showed me a set of Campy Neutron wheels
with
> 24 flat spokes. I asked him how I could attach my magnet from my Cateye computer. He showed me a
> small round magnetic button that attaches to a single spoke. However, I don't know where he got
> it. You might want to
call
> him and ask. (215)329-4744.
> >
> > Barring that, a good knock-knock joke would help pass the time.
> >
> > MikeE

Mike Elliott <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> So -- suggestions on affixing a magnet to a flat stainless spoke
------------------
well, I went and got a small bar-shaped magnet from home depot(about .25x1.0x.125), and hot-glued it
to my spoke.... works fine, but is not real pretty. I was concerned about crimping down on a thin
section aero spoke. I just slobbered the hot-glue on the spoke and made a "bed" for the magnet.

I do not believe hot glue will stand up to the vibration a wheel spoke endures.

Another idea is to get one of the older style magnets, which used a thin flat plate on either side
of the spoke, using two tiny screws to hold it in place. I bet there are millions of "retired" bike
computers that used this type of wheel magnet and I bet a bunch can be found at established LBSs.

Terry

Terry Rudd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I do not believe hot glue will stand up to the vibration a wheel spoke endures.
well, so far so good. but its on my race wheels which only have a couple hundred miles on'em.