AFLD says incongruous products found during 2009 Tour

swampy1970

Feb 3, 2008
AFLD Says Incongruous Products Found During 2009 Tour | Cyclingnews.com

Products found by police not on WADA list, but AFLD questions their presence at Tour

At a press conference on Wednesday, officials of the French Anti-Doping Agency (AFLD) have announced that a number of unusual medications were found in teams' rubbish bins by French police during this year's Tour de France. The products, which are not prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Code, have nevertheless been described as a "surprising therapeutic arsenal" by the AFLD.
"Theoretically, they are incongruous products [to be found] in an environment where people are in good health," said Michel Rieu, the AFLD's scientific expert, according to AFP. "It seems abnormal to me to be finding anti-hypertensive drugs. Their aim is to ensure that the athlete keeps a low blood pressure. Why?"

In addition to substances designed to treat hypertension, French police forces also allegedly discovered Sitagliptin, an oral drug normally used by diabetic patients, as well as Valpromide, an anticonvulsant used in the treatment of epilepsy and psychiatric disorders.

AFLD President Pierre Bordry stated that he had "signalled this [the discoveries] to the World Anti-Doping Agency as soon as July", but Olivier Rabin, science director at WADA, denied receiving the information when asked by AFP in September.

On Monday, French newspaper Le Monde also reported that the police searches, conducted on the teams' rubbish during the Tour de France, also uncovered several products that did not have importation authorisation from the French Agency for the safety of Health products (AFSSAPS) and were thus illegal on French soil. The medications, two anti-hypertensive drugs called Telmisartan and Quinapril, were seized.

Follow Cyclingnews on Twitter for the very latest coverage of events taking place in the cycling world - twitter.com/cyclingnewsfeed.

That was already reported but the name of products werre not named. It was done by Bordry during TDF or during the next weeks following TDF.

Le Tour 2009, vraiment propre? - Libération

l'AFLD a «trouvé des médicaments lourds, comme une substance pour produire de l'insuline qui est normalement utilisée par des diabétiques» dans les poubelles de certaines équipes.

poulidor said:
A preliminary investigation has been opened about medical stuff found in teams' rubbish bins. Apparently Astana riders are under the fire.

Une nouvelle affaire Astana ? - Cyclisme - Dopage - L'EQUIPE.FR

Team's syringes disposed at Tour de France being analysed
Two and a half months after the Tour de France, public prosecution in Paris has opened a preliminary investigation against the Astana team, whose rider Alberto Contador won the event. The object of the investigation is the content of several syringes that the squad disposed of at the event, according to L'Equipe.
At the Tour de France, organiser Amaury Sport Organization (ASO) provides the teams with special containers to collect medical waste. The Central Office against environmental damage and public health (OCLAESP) has opened the proceedings after discovering several "suspect" syringes in the containers that belonged to the Astana team during the race.
The content of the syringes is currently being analysed by expert judiciary laboratory Toxlab in Paris. It is not known when the results are being expected.

Hey Swamp Rat, why bother posting or even reading about doping if you don't give a **** about it?

I'm sure someone is preparing a few donation checks as we speak.

Who said I didn't care?

What I don't care for is rumours and the usual diabtribe in this place... ;) I also find it somewhat hypocritical that riders get worked over for cheating yet we don't see labs suffering greatly when they botch tests and atheletes have to go to court to clear their names. If AFLD lost it's license to perform tests for 2 years every time a court ruled it botched a test they would have closed it's doors years ago. I find it's complete and utter BS that labs around the world don't/can't always report the same values for the same test, even from them same test samples. BS that test results are always leaked.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the labs did lose their "license" to test in the event of a botched test, a leaked result or procedural error...

... but if someone comes back with a 'non-negative' test that's been done by the rule book then I'm all for hanging them high.

swampy1970 said:
Who said I didn't care?

What I don't care for is rumours and the usual diabtribe in this place... ;) I also find it somewhat hypocritical that riders get worked over for cheating yet we don't see labs suffering greatly when they botch tests and atheletes have to go to court to clear their names. If AFLD lost it's license to perform tests for 2 years every time a court ruled it botched a test they would have closed it's doors years ago. I find it's complete and utter BS that labs around the world don't/can't always report the same values for the same test, even from them same test samples. BS that test results are always leaked.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the labs did lose their "license" to test in the event of a botched test, a leaked result or procedural error...

... but if someone comes back with a 'non-negative' test that's been done by the rule book then I'm all for hanging them high.
How many tests do a lab by year? How many problems?
How much BS heard from Landis, Armstrong, ...?
Maybe if everyone has a better understanding of science, we would not accept all BS
Maybe if the labs were much more funded, they could do a better job.

The next time there is a serious fault of police or your President , I propose to close police or the government. :D

Do you include yourself and the others in the lynch mob when you talk about people dispensing BS?

poulidor said:
How many tests do a lab by year? How many problems?
How much BS heard from Landis, Armstrong, ...?
Maybe if everyone has a better understanding of science, we would not accept all BS
Maybe if the labs were much more funded, they could do a better job.

The next time there is a serious fault of police or your President , I propose to close police or the government. :D

Labs are supposed to do things 'by the book' i.e. follow procedures developed to ensure accurate testing and prevent snafus. It's not just the actual test that's important.

I wasn't referring to Landis or Armstrong but thanks for dragging them into the thread, which I guess is par for the course here.

If the a Policeman screws up, he gets put under review. If the cop 'fails' that review and it's a serious offense he gets fired. Funnily enough it's exactly what the labs could do with - you screw up and fail to follow procedure then it's no work for you and we'll send the samples to another lab.

The labs should be held to the same 'squeaky clean' standards as the riders. If anything they should be held to a higher standard...

As for "Government" - thankfully I no longer live under the great sh1tshower of the EU, which is a great example of how bureaucracy can fail the people it's meant to serve.

My guess is that this investigation will go no where. They use syringes etc for legal treatments like vitamin injections & I can't see any team being stupid enough to dispose of dope tainted 'sharps' in 'provided for' bins.

This is more of a 'we've got our eye on you' shot across the bows.

gtm said:
They use syringes etc for legal treatments like vitamin injections & I can't see any team being stupid enough to dispose of dope tainted 'sharps' in 'provided for' bins.

I totally agree, in fact if a team is stupid enough to do that they deserve to be busted.

swampy1970 said:
Labs are supposed to do things 'by the book' i.e. follow procedures developed to ensure accurate testing and prevent snafus. It's not just the actual test that's important.

I wasn't referring to Landis or Armstrong but thanks for dragging them into the thread, which I guess is par for the course here.

If the a Policeman screws up, he gets put under review. If the cop 'fails' that review and it's a serious offense he gets fired. Funnily enough it's exactly what the labs could do with - you screw up and fail to follow procedure then it's no work for you and we'll send the samples to another lab.

The labs should be held to the same 'squeaky clean' standards as the riders. If anything they should be held to a higher standard...

As for "Government" - thankfully I no longer live under the great sh1tshower of the EU, which is a great example of how bureaucracy can fail the people it's meant to serve.

Swamp,

I take your point regarding the laboratories and their conducting tests.

What needs to be kept in mind is that many of the laboratories conducting clinical tests, carry out tests across a range of samples for a lot of different agencies.
These labs could be conducting clinical tests on samples from civil authorities such as the police, national nutrition
agencies, national drugs agencies, assisting educational research projects in education.
It is in the interest of these labs, first and foremost, to ensure that their testing procedures and processes are beyond reproach because if clinical errors are detected in their results, they will lose accreditation and funding.
More importantly they will lose their reputation for provided clinically correct data.

The risk in producing clinically incorrect data could jeopardise civil/criminal cases reliant upon the expert analysis/results provided by these institutions.

limerickman said:
Swamp,

I take your point regarding the laboratories and their conducting tests.

What needs to be kept in mind is that many of the laboratories conducting clinical tests, carry out tests across a range of samples for a lot of different agencies.
These labs could be conducting clinical tests on samples from civil authorities such as the police, national nutrition
agencies, national drugs agencies, assisting educational research projects in education.
It is in the interest of these labs, first and foremost, to ensure that their testing procedures and processes are beyond reproach because if clinical errors are detected in their results, they will lose accreditation and funding.
More importantly they will lose their reputation for provided clinically correct data.

The risk in producing clinically incorrect data could jeopardise civil/criminal cases reliant upon the expert analysis/results provided by these institutions.

You were saying...

Forensic lab errors in hundreds of crime cases | Politics | The Guardian
Forget the Police - call out the Wombles!

LAPD Fingerprint Lab Errors Trigger Review of 945 Cases - LAist

California: FORENSICS LAB ERRORS AFFECT 391 DRUG TESTS | Article from Narcotics Enforcement & Prevention Digest | HighBeam Research

It doesn't seem to matter what the lab is used for... A quick search just goes to prove that what you'd hope to be the bastion of science and conclusive answers, sadly sometimes appears to be inept and just like the rest of the world...

Orange juice said:
Didn't they find hematide and AICAR or was that just speculation from the AFLD?
Never heard that.
AFLD said that they had informations about hematide and AICAR used, maybe something reported by whistblowers correlated with the too much leaness of some riders at the start of TDF.