After 100 miles, my feet hurt, why?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Pat Fleming, Jun 17, 2003.

  1. Pat Fleming

    Pat Fleming Guest

    Last Saturday, I rode 210 miles. After 100 miles, the balls of my feet started to hurt. At 150
    miles, it was unbearable. Another pair of sox over the original pair relieved the pain until about
    180 miles. Then the pain returned but I was able to finish. The pain subsided in 24 hours. Has
    anyone ever experienced this? And what can be done to prevent it?

    Tags:

  2. I've had pain in the past with shoes which were flexible, or shoes which were slightly tight
    in the heat.

  3. You need to 'ride' 500 more.

    "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" wrote:

    > I've had pain in the past with shoes which were flexible, or shoes which were slightly tight in
    > the heat.

    I hate it when that happens. All ready to have a go and your damn shoes are too tight.

    ....... I think Dennis may be right - 210 miles?

    Ah well. Raising a Pint your way (and yours, too, Dennis).

  4. Chuck Anderson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > You need to 'ride' 500 more.
    >
    > "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" wrote:
    >
    > > I've had pain in the past with shoes which were flexible, or shoes which were slightly tight in
    > > the heat.
    >
    > I hate it when that happens. All ready to have a go and your damn shoes are too tight.
    >
    > ....... I think Dennis may be right - 210 miles?
    >
    > Ah well. Raising a Pint your way (and yours, too, Dennis).

    If I understand you correctly you are suspecting the original post of being a troll because he said
    that he rode 210 miles.

    FYI, people do this all the time. I am planning on doing it this coming Saturday. Try
    http://www.caltriplecrown.com/. There are also brevet events which are for even longer distances.

    To the original poster, I have also experienced your problem but nowhere near as severe. It occurs
    most often in extremely hot weather. I don't have any suggested remedy, unfortunately.

    Tom Tom

  5. Billcotton

    Billcotton Guest

    > If I understand you correctly you are suspecting the original post of being a troll because he
    > said that he rode 210 miles.
    >
    > FYI, people do this all the time. I am planning on doing it this coming Saturday. Try
    > http://www.caltriplecrown.com/. There are also brevet events which are for even longer distances.
    >
    > To the original poster, I have also experienced your problem but nowhere near as severe. It occurs
    > most often in extremely hot weather. I don't have any suggested remedy, unfortunately.
    >
    > Tom Tom
    I have use multiple 100 miles continuously to celebrate my birthdays.
    http://www.billcotton.com/71st_birthday_ride.htm 380 miles this year, I miss my goal of 400 miles.
    The first year I did it on my 69 birthday, 227 miles in 22 hours. I made sandal to help with burning
    feet. http://www.billcotton.com/Shoes.jpg I cut all of the mesh from my touring shoes. I have since
    purchase touring sandals. I loose the ball strap when I do get burning. I found that by spinning,
    that is, power on the up stroke, the burning tend to go away. People that uses road cleat claims
    that they don't have the problem because the shoe is stiffer and spread the pressure over a larger
    area. My plans are to repeat this ride for my 72nd birthday, hold the miles to 340 so as not to have
    to muti-night riding. I don't do sanction ride like the Jersey Double cross or the Brevet because
    that tell you when to clear the course. I cannot beat 12 mile per hours and feel comfortable. This
    ride use signed bicycle road in Pennsylvania and Delaware. The cue sheet and GPS files are on the
    web for anyone that wants to download.

    --
    // Bill Cotton: Latitude N40° 03.756' W75° 06.192' / / Phone 215 663-8363 Data 215 663-8364 //
    [email protected] [email protected] // [email protected] [email protected] //

    "Thomas Reynolds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Chuck Anderson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > You need to 'ride' 500 more.
    > >
    > > "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've had pain in the past with shoes which were flexible, or shoes
    which
    > > > were slightly tight in the heat.
    > >
    > > I hate it when that happens. All ready to have a go and your damn shoes
    are
    > > too tight.
    > >
    > > ....... I think Dennis may be right - 210 miles?
    > >
    > > Ah well. Raising a Pint your way (and yours, too, Dennis).
    >
    > If I understand you correctly you are suspecting the original post of being a troll because he
    > said that he rode 210 miles.
    >
    > FYI, people do this all the time. I am planning on doing it this coming Saturday. Try
    > http://www.caltriplecrown.com/. There are also brevet events which are for even longer distances.
    >
    > To the original poster, I have also experienced your problem but nowhere near as severe. It occurs
    > most often in extremely hot weather. I don't have any suggested remedy, unfortunately.
    >
    > Tom Tom

  6. John Moulder

    John Moulder Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Pat Fleming"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Last Saturday, I rode 210 miles. After 100 miles, the balls of my feet started to hurt. At 150
    > miles, it was unbearable. Another pair of sox over the original pair relieved the pain until about
    > 180 miles. Then the pain returned but I was able to finish. The pain subsided in 24 hours. Has
    > anyone ever experienced this? And what can be done to prevent it?

    Many ultradistance riders (including myself) have experienced this.

    Temporary:
    - Pour cold water on your feet, you can even do this while riding if you have enough water.
    - Get off the bike and soak your feet in cold water. While soaking my bare feet in a fountain
    somewhere in Normany during PBP-91, a French rider just stuck his feet in shoes and all.

    Long-term _ if using clips and straps, shift to clipless (worked for me)
    - try moving your cleat position on the pedal
    - get bigger shoes (or buy your new shoes after long ride).

    My guess is that the pain is due to foot swelling (but your experience that extra socks helped, does
    not fit my theory).

  7. J999w

    J999w Guest

    >Temporary:
    >- Pour cold water on your feet, you can even do this while riding if you have enough water.
    >- Get off the bike and soak your feet in cold water. While soaking my bare feet in a fountain
    > somewhere in Normany during PBP-91, a French rider just stuck his feet in shoes and all.
    >
    >Long-term _ if using clips and straps, shift to clipless (worked for me)
    >- try moving your cleat position on the pedal
    >- get bigger shoes (or buy your new shoes after long ride).
    >
    >My guess is that the pain is due to foot swelling (but your experience that extra socks helped,
    >does not fit my theory).

    - loosen the buckles and ride with them open for a while.

    - remove your foot and pedal with it unclipped for a while.

    - If you ride with support, perhaps switch to a slightly larger size shoe later in your 'epic' ride.

    - stop riding 210 miles !

    :^]

    jw milwaukee

  8. Kendall

    Kendall Guest

    I get a burning hypersensitive spot on the bottom of my big toe when I get about 100 miles or so. A
    foam corn pad cut out in the middle or a lot of vaseline on the toe seems to do the trick and
    prevent the pain. Also I tend to curl my toes sometimes. If I am more stroke conscious and peddle in
    circles, it is less of a problem.

    Ken

    news:[email protected]...