after Armstrong retires, US cycling is over?

your riders must come to Europe young, like the great Lemon did. this is why the French respect Lemon because he came to Europe, learned the language and adapted our culture (without complaining). but I think it is difficult for other Americans to do this. I don't think your race system can produce enough talent to really challenge Europeans.

paris_boy said:
your riders must come to Europe young, like the great Lemon did. this is why the French respect Lemon because he came to Europe, learned the language and adapted our culture (without complaining). but I think it is difficult for other Americans to do this. I don't think your race system can produce enough talent to really challenge Europeans.
Depends on what you mean about challenging the Europeans. If you mean becoming the majority riders on the Tour or the Vuelta, I would agree wholeheartedly. If you mean producing riders with the talent of Leipheimer, Hamilton, Julich, etc., on a regular basis, riders that can perform as a team leader, then I would disagree. Of course, I don't expect there to be another Lemond or Armstrong the first year after Armstrong retires, whenever that is, but I bet there is a 13 or 14 year old kid somewhere that has a ton of talent who will show up in the next decade and be a front-runner in stage races. Heck, I think any country can do that with the right inspiration. I just think the inspiration that Armstrong provides to the younger generation who might just be getting started in the sport is hard to overestimate.

paris_boy said:
Yes, Lemon was a heckofa rider, and being a Lemon, he rode up those mountains with the help of fellow limey Robert Millar!

paris_boy said:
your riders must come to Europe young, like the great Lemon did. this is why the French respect Lemon because he came to Europe, learned the language and adapted our culture (without complaining).
American riders don't go to Europe to earn French respect. American riders go to Europe to win races at the highest level of the sport. No different than when a European comes to play on the US PGA tour or the NBA.

The complaining part. Well it seems you have made an art complaining about Americans.

I think that American cycling will definely continue after Armstrong retires. The level of popularity and whether or not there continues to be an Ameican sponsored team when LA is gone remains to be seen.

I'm sure there will always be some American riders in the peloton. What's amazing to me is that while there are very few American riders in the peloton, the ones that are there (with the exception of Floyd Landis) are either team leaders or co-leaders (Armstrong, Hamilton, Leipheimer, Julich).

I don't think there will ever be a proportianate number of American riders in the peloton. Simply because cycling is nowhere near as popular in the US as it is in Europe and other countries.

paris_boy said:
it seems US cycling is just about Armstrong. do you have anybody else or will it be over when Armstrong retires. where are the young riders?

TDF Best Young Rider Final Classification

1 Karpets Vladimir Rus Ibb 84h 01' 13"
2 Casar Sandy Fra Fdj 03' 42"
3 Voeckler Thomas Fra Blb 06' 01"
4 Rogers Michael Aus Qsd 16' 28"
5 Camano Iker Esp Eus 22' 03"
6 Pineau Jérôme Fra Blb 22' 32"
7 Chavanel Sylvain Fra Blb 29' 32"
8 Scarponi Michele Ita Dve 37' 50"
9 Astarloza Mikel Esp A2r 1h 29' 53"
10 Noval Gonzalez Benjamin Esp Usp 1h 32' 30"
11 Calzati Sylvain Fra Rag 1h 44' 23"
12 Portal Nicolas Fra A2r 1h 44' 34"
13 Lang Sebastian Ger Gst 1h 50' 20"
14 Scanlon Mark Irl A2r 2h 02' 38"
15 Krivtsov Yuriy Ukr A2r 2h 09' 05"
16 Davis Allan Aus Lst 2h 11' 05"
17 Charteau Anthony Fra Blb 2h 16' 20"
18 Loosli David Sui Sae 2h 19' 13"
19 Cancellara Fabian Sui Fas 2h 23' 31"
20 Pozzato Filippo Ita Fas 2h 29' 44"

Anquetil, Merckx, Hinault, Indurain, Armstrong are the only 5 times winners of the Tour de France. Anquetil's and Merckx' time was before this list, which starts in 1975. Merckx would certainly have won best young rider if they had such an award back then (I don't know if they did). He won his first Tour in 1969 with an 18 minute gap to second place, the widest in Tour history. Merckx is in a different league though--the anomaly. He raced until he was 29 before he had to quit. That's a young age to be retiring in cycling, but he already had become the best rider of all time.

Most notably, I don't see Hinault, Indurain or Armstrong on this list. Anquetil was earlier--mid 1950's and 1960's. That's what I was talking about--multi tour champions. As for winning fewer than 5, maybe it's better to flair out young. But if you want to win 5 or more, they are more careful about not wearing themselves out in their early 20's.

paris_boy said:
it seems US cycling is just about Armstrong. do you have anybody else or will it be over when Armstrong retires. where are the young riders?
Have you heard of Tom Danielson?

paris_boy said:
26 is young?

Tom got a late start in high level racing, just like Tyler. Both should be able to carry on well into their 30's (i.e. they are much fresher than those who race full on at a very high level from the junior years onward).

I have high hopes for Tom.. IMHO he just needs to get on the right team and adapt to the European system. He has loads of talent.

paris_boy said:

There were three US leaders of teams in the Tour. I predict that the impact of Armstrong will be in the future from people drawn into the sport. The US had 9 Tour wins since 1985. It isn't reasonable to expect that kind of success in the future. Tom Danielson does have potential but that just means he hasn't done anyting yet.
U.S. cycling won't die but it is inevitable that Lance's departure will weaken it significantly. I think there will always be a U.S. prescence in Europe.
About LeMond I think he did plenty of whining and is still at it. Just ask him about Hinault.

Hehe, Paris, looks like your spelling of Lemon[d] is becoming infectious. I know you said your reasons for it somewhere else:D but if you're not careful it may spread and it will be forever misspellt...your own personal mark on world cycling..