After market bike racks

Cyrock

Feb 25, 2011
Hello all, new to the forum

Last year I rode 3-4 times per week at 18-25 miles and looking to buy a new bike that has some flexibility yet somewhat fast and comfortable, hence Carbon Fiber. Currently looking at the Roubaix SL2 and the Secteur Comp for carbon frames. I am finding each LBS shop has a different view about attaching an aftermarket bike rack on the back that fits on the back axle and brake... My question is, can you place an after market rack on a carbon frame without messing up the frame or losing warranty? I would only need it to haul max of 15-20 Lbs (Camera equipment) on rare occasion and I weigh 190.. Any thoughts.

By the way, great site!

Z

IMO I would only mount a rack on a bikeframe that is made for a rack. Whats wrong with a backpack?

Originally Posted by Cyrock .

... My question is, can you place an after market rack on a carbon frame without messing up the frame or losing warranty?
I think you would have to get the answer to that warranty question directly from the manufacturer that makes the bike....

you cn do anything with enough time and money, as for whether or not you should, that is another question. What are you riding now? no desire to have a dedicated commuter bike and a separate bike for riding?

Great feedback by all of you. The following probably moves my inquiry out of this forum more into Road Bikes. I currently ride a Giant Hybird...I have the bars low and the seat higher because I like to get out and roll. Well that is not fast enough for me and fast was not the reason I bought it...family riding basically. Now I am looking to buy a decent road bike and I am looking for flexibility with it, which the CF doesn't seem to have in my price range.. If I want to go out for a century ride, I might want to take my camera gear some time and take photo's, or go out for two days and take a few things to camp...slap on the rack and go..15-20lbs of equipment? Also, a perfect road bike would have the ability to put light weight fenders on based on the weather....spring/fall. But the majority of the time, I will be bike paths and roads.

I am new to the road bikes and looking for a CF frame(Preferred...not a must) that is comfortable, fast enough and provides flexibility based on conditions. So far at around $2000 USA, not much flexibility with the CF frames that I am finding.

Cyrock

Cyrock, you and I are in similar boats. I got into cycling last year with a Giant Rapid 3, which is probably what you have or perhaps the predecessor the fcr? At any rate, you honestly wont notice any huge speed increases with a different bike. My rapid 3 weighed in at 25lbs with a heavy chromoly fork. I then got a dedicated "race" bike and quite frankly, my speeds aren't a whole lot different. The one advantage is that if the wind starts blowing I can get in the drops and be a bit more aero or if I feel the need to get up and go, the road bike with drop bars allows me to sprint a bit more but I can honestly say if your going to be doing centurys or lots of longer distance rides, the bike you have now, may actually be well suited for it and perhaps you could make a few upgrades to it to make it a little bit more road like.

In the end, I actually ended up putting drop bars on my rapid which essentially made it a Defy 3 which is giants endurance/comfort geometry road bike, perfect for centurys and the like.

I will also add that a commuter bike is really pretty much what you are looking for, true road bikes flat out aren't made for racks, fenders and the like because generally your riding them to go fast and would never have that stuff on them. A hybrid like the Giant rapid really is a road frame that has simply taken the extra steps of adding the braze-ons and bosses that you need for those things, the geometry really isn't all that different.

Take a look at the geometry charts on Giants website of the Defy and compare it to the Rapid, they are very very similar. Heck, the defy may actually have braze ons for rack mounts and fenders. If your bike is a flatbar, your most cost effective option is probbly to just add drop bars. you'll need new shifters and a new front deraileur, but it can be done for a few hundred vs a thousand for a new bike.

Couple of other things to note is that on a hybrid bike, your looking at a bike that probably has either low end wheels or simply heavier more durable wheels. Depending on your physical size, you could get way more bang for your buck in the speed department by putting a different set of wheels on your bike.

hate to be that guy that says it but in most cases its the engine that limits the bikes speed, not the bike.