After riding in the rain......

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Evo, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Evo

Evo New Member

Just wondering what are the best things for my road bike after riding it in the rain...........

What things should I keep an eye on, and should I use a water-dispersant on moving components?

Any ideas?

Tags:

2. dougc

dougc New Member

I keep a can of compressed air in the garage. When I get home after riding in the rain, I blow the water out of the cassette and off the chain. Then wipe down the bike and relube the chain. Kind of a pain, considering that we don't have to do this when we pull the car into the driveway, but I guess this is the price we must pay. If I had a stainless steel chain, I could probably get away without relubing the chain, but there is still the matter of all the fine grit that gets all over the bike.

3. Cyclesmith

Cyclesmith New Member

Shoot a little WD-40 in all the mech. of the bike...thats what its for...Water Displacement - 40. Better yet, shoot a little WD-40 before you ride in the rain

4. abv8

abv8 New Member

. . .Excellent idea

5. vladimir102

vladimir102 New Member

would wd-40 be okay to use after washing the bike to relube all the mechanisms?

6. Cyclesmith

Cyclesmith New Member

Important point...WD-40 is not a lube, even though most people think it is...is acts only to displace moisture and prevent corrosion. Use Tri-Flow for a lube. I normally shoot WD-40 on everything, then wipe it down with rubbing alcohol and follow up with Tri-Flow in all the pivot points.

7. Evo

Evo New Member

Cool, thanks guys!

8. Boyracir

Boyracir New Member

I rub down the bike with a damp cloth and even sometimes put car wax on it to give it a great shine and prtection from the elements! Cleaning the chain, sprockets and chain wheel is also a good idea. Every month or so I take off the chain and clean it in petrol with an old toothbrush. Then I put it back on and oil away as usual.

Keep your bike clean is wise preventive medicine! and will help retain its value!!!