After seeing this Pic, I'm thinking about selling my Carbon Rims

Turbo329

Aug 7, 2009
1276624581_extras_albumes_0.jpg

Happened in the Tour De Suisse

Well, the frame collapsing was more DUE to Cav going down, not the cause of it.

Yup. Cav caused a crash, which resulted in the wheel damage seen. Stuff happens.

alienator said:
Yup. Cav caused a crash, which resulted in the wheel damage seen. Stuff happens.

Bottom line is your carbon rims should be fine unless you fall down and somebody right on your hip rides over your wheel.

Now, that happens to ME all the time but others probably not so much. ;)

^^ LOL! Sarcasm is a botch - ain't it?!

Considering how an airplane crumples on impact, I've totally given up air travel:D...

And interestingly enough, neither of the two in the photo are anywhere close to being Clydes, unlike myself...

Carbon rims are going to kill you for sure. I recommend that you do not sell them - give them away immediately to me and I will look after them for you. I am so concerned for your personal safety that I am even offering to pay for the carriage.;)

xpc316e said:
Carbon rims are going to kill you for sure. I recommend that you do not sell them - give them away immediately to me and I will look after them for you. I am so concerned for your personal safety that I am even offering to pay for the carriage.;)

+1 for looking after these dangerous carbon wheels! I'll hang on to them for those of you living out my way in Toronto. Promise to merely 'demo' them once in a while. You know....quality control. Anyone????? I'll even provide a pick up service!

CdnRider said:
+1 for looking after these dangerous carbon wheels! I'll hang on to them for those of you living out my way in Toronto. Promise to merely 'demo' them once in a while. You know....quality control. Anyone????? I'll even provide a pick up service!

Careful what you ask for. There are some kack CF wheels out there. One brand was known for flex, especially the rear wheel which had some "interesting" flexural characteristics, like the wheel could flex enough going uphill to cause the spokes to rub the RD in the lowest three gears (the three biggest cassette cogs) and flex enough hitting a bump to remove the RD.

I'd give all three of my left nuts to have a set of either the latest gen Zipp 303's (cross version) or the new set of 404 clinchers (The Firecrest).

Can I make a couple of observations:
1)Everybody is heading pretty much straight, except for the guy in the front, who's hooking left 2nd in line wouldn't be looking down with someone inches in front of him.
2) The bottom third of his front wheel disappeared(no wreckage), yet the tire is still sitting just where it should on a fully inflated tire. and even the spokes haven't moved.

Good Photoshopping though

Originally Posted by frbock .

1)Everybody is heading pretty much straight, except for the guy in the front, who's hooking left 2nd in line wouldn't be looking down with someone inches in front of him.
2) The bottom third of his front wheel disappeared(no wreckage), yet the tire is still sitting just where it should on a fully inflated tire. and even the spokes haven't moved.

It's not a photoshop effort...

Here's the wheel afterwards - Cav signing it for Josh, the head engineeer at Zipp.

I guess that when someone nails you at 40 to 45mph then bad things tend to happen.

Post crash sychronised "spooning"

Spokes bend, tires fold. its definately a legit pic

Originally Posted by frbock .

Right, Moto.

If you look closely at the first pic, you can see the folded portion of the wrecking dude's tire behind the front wheel of the #2 guy. Then, in the second pic, you see that once the #1 dude's weight is off the front fork and the wheel springs back, it's actually lifting #2's front wheel off the ground. Doesn't look Photoshopped to me at all.

Jason

tubulars are glued on hence the rubber still attached and CF will shatter not bend like aluminum. Great photo, ride hard...crash hard.

I want to know what brand of helmet the guy in the polka dot jersey had. I really like that. Bet it's not "approved".

I'll stick to my aluminum rims thank you....I have nothing against carbon anything but as I Clyde I like to stick to the tried and true. (Steel framed road bike, heavy duty rims)

I also need to point out there is more graphite in a pencil than some of the racing rims (sarcasm) :) A lot of the retail end carbon stuff is not as light as the high end racing stuff so most folks neddn't worry too much about what rolls round and round under them.

Also, is anyone else tired of the endless cavalcade of people replying that every sodding thing on the planet is photoshopped? I'm not coming at anyone but it gets old gang...

I cringed seeing the pic too as I went down Monday and bruised a rib or two. The photo reminded me of that....and no, my aluminum rims are just fine... ;)

You can see in the picture that when the spokes went, there was absolutely no strength to hold the wheel together...