after the new handlebar--problems

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Pat, Jan 18, 2005.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    After I put on the new handlebar, I noticed that it must be about 1-2 inches
    wider than the old one and this made the cables shorter. So, I removed some
    of the wrapping along the handlebars and let the cable out to give it more
    ease of movement. Not long after that, I started having problems with my
    front derailleur shifting under load without my input.

    I would be riding along and come to a good incline or hill with the middle
    front chainring in use and suddenly it would shift to the granny gear
    chainring. Thankfully, I was not standing at the time, being forbidden to
    do so because of my torn rotator cuff. But, after this happened 3 times, I
    started to worry that it could happen in the future, causing me to fall.

    Now, the problem is, did I cause this by putting on the new handlebar? It
    didn't happen right away, but about a month later is when the auto-shifting
    started. Also, could I alleviate the problem simply by releasing even more
    of the cabling from under the handlebar wrap? There is no problem with
    turning the front wheel---no binding or cramping in any way. This bike has
    been ridden for 3 seasons and is a Bianchi Veloce, so the chainrings
    shouldn't be worn away, I would think. They don't appear unusual in any way.

    This is the main reason why I am considering replacing the cables and
    housing. I haven't had any problems with shifting or braking other than
    this.

    Anybody with some insight?

    thanks,

    Pat in TX

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:52:30 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >After I put on the new handlebar, I noticed that it must be about 1-2 inches
    >wider than the old one and this made the cables shorter. So, I removed some
    >of the wrapping along the handlebars and let the cable out to give it more
    >ease of movement. Not long after that, I started having problems with my
    >front derailleur shifting under load without my input.
    >
    >I would be riding along and come to a good incline or hill with the middle
    >front chainring in use and suddenly it would shift to the granny gear
    >chainring. Thankfully, I was not standing at the time, being forbidden to
    >do so because of my torn rotator cuff. But, after this happened 3 times, I
    >started to worry that it could happen in the future, causing me to fall.
    >
    >Now, the problem is, did I cause this by putting on the new handlebar? It
    >didn't happen right away, but about a month later is when the auto-shifting
    >started. Also, could I alleviate the problem simply by releasing even more
    >of the cabling from under the handlebar wrap? There is no problem with
    >turning the front wheel---no binding or cramping in any way. This bike has
    >been ridden for 3 seasons and is a Bianchi Veloce, so the chainrings
    >shouldn't be worn away, I would think. They don't appear unusual in any way.
    >
    >This is the main reason why I am considering replacing the cables and
    >housing. I haven't had any problems with shifting or braking other than
    >this.
    >
    >Anybody with some insight?
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >Pat in TX

    Hi Pat, I would replace all the cables and housing so that they are
    the correct size. Then go from there. I only got one season out of a
    front cable on my LeMond, which was just over 3000 miles.
    Remember, I'm no expert, it is just where I would start.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  3. Jeff Starr

    wrote:

    >After I put on the new handlebar, I noticed that it must be about 1-2 inches
    >wider than the old one and this made the cables shorter. So, I removed some
    >of the wrapping along the handlebars and let the cable out to give it more
    >ease of movement. Not long after that, I started having problems with my
    >front derailleur shifting under load without my input.
    >
    >I would be riding along and come to a good incline or hill with the middle
    >front chainring in use and suddenly it would shift to the granny gear
    >chainring. Thankfully, I was not standing at the time, being forbidden to
    >do so because of my torn rotator cuff. But, after this happened 3 times, I
    >started to worry that it could happen in the future, causing me to fall.
    >
    >Now, the problem is, did I cause this by putting on the new handlebar? It
    >didn't happen right away, but about a month later is when the auto-shifting
    >started. Also, could I alleviate the problem simply by releasing even more
    >of the cabling from under the handlebar wrap? There is no problem with
    >turning the front wheel---no binding or cramping in any way. This bike has
    >been ridden for 3 seasons and is a Bianchi Veloce, so the chainrings
    >shouldn't be worn away, I would think. They don't appear unusual in any way.
    >
    >This is the main reason why I am considering replacing the cables and
    >housing. I haven't had any problems with shifting or braking other than
    >this.
    >
    >Anybody with some insight?
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >Pat in TX

    Hi Pat, I would replace all the cables and housing so that they are
    the correct size. Then go from there. I only got one season out of a
    front cable on my LeMond, which was just over 3000 miles.
    Remember, I'm no expert, it is just where I would start.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  4. Jeff Starr

    wrote:

    >After I put on the new handlebar, I noticed that it must be about 1-2 inches
    >wider than the old one and this made the cables shorter. So, I removed some
    >of the wrapping along the handlebars and let the cable out to give it more
    >ease of movement. Not long after that, I started having problems with my
    >front derailleur shifting under load without my input.
    >
    >I would be riding along and come to a good incline or hill with the middle
    >front chainring in use and suddenly it would shift to the granny gear
    >chainring. Thankfully, I was not standing at the time, being forbidden to
    >do so because of my torn rotator cuff. But, after this happened 3 times, I
    >started to worry that it could happen in the future, causing me to fall.
    >
    >Now, the problem is, did I cause this by putting on the new handlebar? It
    >didn't happen right away, but about a month later is when the auto-shifting
    >started. Also, could I alleviate the problem simply by releasing even more
    >of the cabling from under the handlebar wrap? There is no problem with
    >turning the front wheel---no binding or cramping in any way. This bike has
    >been ridden for 3 seasons and is a Bianchi Veloce, so the chainrings
    >shouldn't be worn away, I would think. They don't appear unusual in any way.
    >
    >This is the main reason why I am considering replacing the cables and
    >housing. I haven't had any problems with shifting or braking other than
    >this.
    >
    >Anybody with some insight?
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >Pat in TX

    Hi Pat, I would replace all the cables and housing so that they are
    the correct size. Then go from there. I only got one season out of a
    front cable on my LeMond, which was just over 3000 miles.
    Remember, I'm no expert, it is just where I would start.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  5. Jeff Starr

    wrote:

    >After I put on the new handlebar, I noticed that it must be about 1-2 inches
    >wider than the old one and this made the cables shorter. So, I removed some
    >of the wrapping along the handlebars and let the cable out to give it more
    >ease of movement. Not long after that, I started having problems with my
    >front derailleur shifting under load without my input.
    >
    >I would be riding along and come to a good incline or hill with the middle
    >front chainring in use and suddenly it would shift to the granny gear
    >chainring. Thankfully, I was not standing at the time, being forbidden to
    >do so because of my torn rotator cuff. But, after this happened 3 times, I
    >started to worry that it could happen in the future, causing me to fall.
    >
    >Now, the problem is, did I cause this by putting on the new handlebar? It
    >didn't happen right away, but about a month later is when the auto-shifting
    >started. Also, could I alleviate the problem simply by releasing even more
    >of the cabling from under the handlebar wrap? There is no problem with
    >turning the front wheel---no binding or cramping in any way. This bike has
    >been ridden for 3 seasons and is a Bianchi Veloce, so the chainrings
    >shouldn't be worn away, I would think. They don't appear unusual in any way.
    >
    >This is the main reason why I am considering replacing the cables and
    >housing. I haven't had any problems with shifting or braking other than
    >this.
    >
    >Anybody with some insight?
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >Pat in TX

    Hi Pat, I would replace all the cables and housing so that they are
    the correct size. Then go from there. I only got one season out of a
    front cable on my LeMond, which was just over 3000 miles.
    Remember, I'm no expert, it is just where I would start.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  6. Jeff Starr

    wrote:

    >After I put on the new handlebar, I noticed that it must be about 1-2 inches
    >wider than the old one and this made the cables shorter. So, I removed some
    >of the wrapping along the handlebars and let the cable out to give it more
    >ease of movement. Not long after that, I started having problems with my
    >front derailleur shifting under load without my input.
    >
    >I would be riding along and come to a good incline or hill with the middle
    >front chainring in use and suddenly it would shift to the granny gear
    >chainring. Thankfully, I was not standing at the time, being forbidden to
    >do so because of my torn rotator cuff. But, after this happened 3 times, I
    >started to worry that it could happen in the future, causing me to fall.
    >
    >Now, the problem is, did I cause this by putting on the new handlebar? It
    >didn't happen right away, but about a month later is when the auto-shifting
    >started. Also, could I alleviate the problem simply by releasing even more
    >of the cabling from under the handlebar wrap? There is no problem with
    >turning the front wheel---no binding or cramping in any way. This bike has
    >been ridden for 3 seasons and is a Bianchi Veloce, so the chainrings
    >shouldn't be worn away, I would think. They don't appear unusual in any way.
    >
    >This is the main reason why I am considering replacing the cables and
    >housing. I haven't had any problems with shifting or braking other than
    >this.
    >
    >Anybody with some insight?
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >Pat in TX

    Hi Pat, I would replace all the cables and housing so that they are
    the correct size. Then go from there. I only got one season out of a
    front cable on my LeMond, which was just over 3000 miles.
    Remember, I'm no expert, it is just where I would start.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  7. Jeff Starr

    wrote:

    >After I put on the new handlebar, I noticed that it must be about 1-2 inches
    >wider than the old one and this made the cables shorter. So, I removed some
    >of the wrapping along the handlebars and let the cable out to give it more
    >ease of movement. Not long after that, I started having problems with my
    >front derailleur shifting under load without my input.
    >
    >I would be riding along and come to a good incline or hill with the middle
    >front chainring in use and suddenly it would shift to the granny gear
    >chainring. Thankfully, I was not standing at the time, being forbidden to
    >do so because of my torn rotator cuff. But, after this happened 3 times, I
    >started to worry that it could happen in the future, causing me to fall.
    >
    >Now, the problem is, did I cause this by putting on the new handlebar? It
    >didn't happen right away, but about a month later is when the auto-shifting
    >started. Also, could I alleviate the problem simply by releasing even more
    >of the cabling from under the handlebar wrap? There is no problem with
    >turning the front wheel---no binding or cramping in any way. This bike has
    >been ridden for 3 seasons and is a Bianchi Veloce, so the chainrings
    >shouldn't be worn away, I would think. They don't appear unusual in any way.
    >
    >This is the main reason why I am considering replacing the cables and
    >housing. I haven't had any problems with shifting or braking other than
    >this.
    >
    >Anybody with some insight?
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >Pat in TX

    Hi Pat, I would replace all the cables and housing so that they are
    the correct size. Then go from there. I only got one season out of a
    front cable on my LeMond, which was just over 3000 miles.
    Remember, I'm no expert, it is just where I would start.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  8. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    "Pat" <[email protected]> writes:

    <snip>

    > Now, the problem is, did I cause this by putting on the new handlebar? It
    > didn't happen right away, but about a month later is when the auto-shifting
    > started. Also, could I alleviate the problem simply by releasing even more
    > of the cabling from under the handlebar wrap? There is no problem with
    > turning the front wheel---no binding or cramping in any way. This bike has
    > been ridden for 3 seasons and is a Bianchi Veloce, so the chainrings
    > shouldn't be worn away, I would think. They don't appear unusual in any way.
    >
    > This is the main reason why I am considering replacing the cables and
    > housing. I haven't had any problems with shifting or braking other than
    > this.
    >
    > Anybody with some insight?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Pat in TX