aftermarket brake lever recommendation

Bruce Edge

Guest
I'm looking for some better levers for my hayes. I rode this guys bike
that had some aftermarket levers on it that felt amazing. No, I didn't
ask him, yes, that was dumb.

Any recommendations on aftermarket levers. Don't care about weight.

Thanks, Bruce

Bruce Edge wrote:
> I'm looking for some better levers for my hayes. I rode this guys bike
> that had some aftermarket levers on it that felt amazing. No, I didn't
> ask him, yes, that was dumb.
>
> Any recommendations on aftermarket levers. Don't care about weight.
>
> Thanks, Bruce

I don't know if they are still in business, but I wouldn't part with my
RazorRocks.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Bruce Edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for some better levers for my hayes. I rode this guys bike
> that had some aftermarket levers on it that felt amazing. No, I didn't
> ask him, yes, that was dumb.
>
> Any recommendations on aftermarket levers. Don't care about weight.
>
> Thanks, Bruce

Some considerations:

http://www.grcomponents.com/home.htm

http://www.balleracing.com

http://www.bikebonz.com/

Razor Rock and DangerBoy CNC don't have websites that are up and running,
they are also great products. Maybe you can try and find their phone
numbers.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

"Bruce Edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for some better levers for my hayes. I rode this guys bike
> that had some aftermarket levers on it that felt amazing. No, I didn't ask
> him, yes, that was dumb.
>
> Any recommendations on aftermarket levers. Don't care about weight.
>
> Thanks, Bruce

Bruce,

I am on the same quest...so far have not found want I am looking for.

I wanted Razor Rock Racing Shifftys but they are no longer available. My
bike shop tells me Razor Rock is out of business. The levers are still
listed on Go-rides website, but not available...guess I waited too long.
Rumor has it that another company is going to start making them again.

http://www.go-ride.com/prod_brakes.html

If you find adjustable levers that change the reach and engagement for Hayes
Mags, please let me know.

Chris Phillipo wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>
>>Subject: Re: aftermarket brake lever recommendation
>>From: Ride-A-Lot <[email protected]>
>>Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
>>
>>Bruce Edge wrote:
>>
>>>I'm looking for some better levers for my hayes. I rode this guys bike
>>>that had some aftermarket levers on it that felt amazing. No, I didn't
>>>ask him, yes, that was dumb.
>>>
>>>Any recommendations on aftermarket levers. Don't care about weight.
>>>
>>>Thanks, Bruce

>>I don't know if they are still in business, but I wouldn't part with my
>>RazorRocks.
>>
>>--
>>o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>>www.schnauzers.ws
>>

> I hope the price on those has come down, it was cheaper for me to switch
> to complete Shimano Deore levers than to put those on my Hayes a couple
> of years ago :)

They ain't/weren't cheap, but they have some fine machining. Reminds of
Chris King type work. It's almost as if they help the bike stop better.

Chris King should by the name. I don't think it would be that difficult
for them to start cutting levers. They need to expand their product
line anyway if they are going to grow. That is if they want to grow.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Chris Phillipo wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] says...
>>
>>> Subject: Re: aftermarket brake lever recommendation
>>> From: Ride-A-Lot <[email protected]>
>>> Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike

>>> I don't know if they are still in business, but I wouldn't part
>>> with my RazorRocks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>>> www.schnauzers.ws
>>>

>> I hope the price on those has come down, it was cheaper for me to
>> switch to complete Shimano Deore levers than to put those on my
>> Hayes a couple of years ago :)

> They ain't/weren't cheap, but they have some fine machining. Reminds
> of Chris King type work. It's almost as if they help the bike stop
> better.
> Chris King should by the name. I don't think it would be that
> difficult for them to start cutting levers. They need to expand
> their product line anyway if they are going to grow. That is if they
> want to grow.

They probably don't. That's how QC goes down the drain.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:09:59 -0800, Bruce Edge <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm looking for some better levers for my hayes. I rode this guys bike
> that had some aftermarket levers on it that felt amazing. No, I didn't
> ask him, yes, that was dumb.
>
> Any recommendations on aftermarket levers. Don't care about weight.
>
> Thanks, Bruce

Well, I can recommend three different ones. Two of which I actually own
and use. The last one, I've only checked out on some else's rig, not
riding.

Razor Rock: Excellent machine work and very purdy. Extremely stiff with a
very wide profile. Works best, IMO, for dudes with larger hands/fingers.
Razor Rock sold their design to another company
<http://www.dabombusa.com/> Go to "Products" and then "Others" I bought
mine when Razor Rock was still around, so I can't tell you anything about
the new company.

Dangerboy <http://dangerboyusa.com/levers.php> : Excellent machine work.
Smaller profile than RR levers. Very nice feel. I actually like my
DangerBoy's more than my RRs, but this could be due to my small hands.
Great customer service from DB. I bought mine direct, and they shipped
within 48 hrs of ordering, which was nice. I really like them a lot :)

GRC <http://www.grcomponents.com/levers.htm> : Again, excellent machine
work and smaller profile than the RRs. Great little hook on the end of
their levers if you're in need of that kind of thing. The GRCs felt very,
very good. If I actually had some riding time with them, they might
overtake my DBs. But I'd be happy with either. No direct experience with
GRC, but I've heard they have exceptional customer service. Their levers
can be purchased thru http://www.balleracing.com/GRC_Levers.htm or direct.
Erik is a good guy and fellow rider... I've done business with him a
couple times and plan on doing more.

Dang, I could almost start my own ragzine... I could call it SlackRag and
sell it for $5.99 usd/$10.99 cad :p
--
Slacker

Slacker wrote:
> <http://www.dabombusa.com/> Go to "Products" and then "Others" I

Dabo Mbusa? Isn't that the guy from Africa who is emailing me to depost his
check for $20 mil into my bank account so I can help save his country? ;^)

Mike

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:07:04 -0500, Michael Dart <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Slacker wrote:
>> <http://www.dabombusa.com/> Go to "Products" and then "Others" I

> Dabo Mbusa? Isn't that the guy from Africa who is emailing me to depost
> his
> check for $20 mil into my bank account so I can help save his country?
> ;^)
>
> Mike

Forget his sorry country; do you have any idea how many M3s, DHRs,
Shivers, XTDs and Shock Therapy forks we could buy with 20 mil :p

--
Slacker

Slacker wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:07:04 -0500, Michael Dart <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Slacker wrote:
>>
>>> <http://www.dabombusa.com/> Go to "Products" and then "Others" I

>> Dabo Mbusa? Isn't that the guy from Africa who is emailing me to
>> depost his
>> check for $20 mil into my bank account so I can help save his
>> country? ;^)
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Forget his sorry country; do you have any idea how many M3s, DHRs,
> Shivers, XTDs and Shock Therapy forks we could buy with 20 mil :p

Mmmm.... Visions of doolar signs dancing in my head.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Slacker wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:41:06 -0500, Ride-A-Lot
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Slacker wrote:

>>> Forget his sorry country; do you have any idea how many M3s, DHRs,
>>> Shivers, XTDs and Shock Therapy forks we could buy with 20 mil :p
>>>

>> Mmmm.... Visions of doolar signs dancing in my head.
>>

> What country is Doolar from and how much was he/she kicking down?

ROTFLMAO at my own stupidity! Ugh! I'm tired.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

<[email protected]> wrote:

> Slacker wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:07:04 -0500, Michael Dart <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>> Dabo Mbusa? Isn't that the guy from Africa who is emailing me to
>>> depost his
>>> check for $20 mil into my bank account so I can help save his
>>> country? ;^)
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> Forget his sorry country; do you have any idea how many M3s, DHRs,
>> Shivers, XTDs and Shock Therapy forks we could buy with 20 mil :p
>>

> Mmmm.... Visions of doolar signs dancing in my head.

What country is Doolar from and how much was he/she kicking down?

--
Slacker

> Well, I can recommend three different ones. Two of which I actually own
> and use. The last one, I've only checked out on some else's rig, not
> riding.
>
> Razor Rock: Excellent machine work and very purdy. Extremely stiff with
> a very wide profile. Works best, IMO, for dudes with larger
> hands/fingers. Razor Rock sold their design to another company
> <http://www.dabombusa.com/> Go to "Products" and then "Others" I bought
> mine when Razor Rock was still around, so I can't tell you anything
> about the new company.
>

> Dangerboy <http://dangerboyusa.com/levers.php> : Excellent machine
> work. Smaller profile than RR levers. Very nice feel. I actually like
> my DangerBoy's more than my RRs, but this could be due to my small
> hands. Great customer service from DB. I bought mine direct, and they
> shipped within 48 hrs of ordering, which was nice. I really like them a
> lot :)
>

> GRC <http://www.grcomponents.com/levers.htm> : Again, excellent machine
> work and smaller profile than the RRs. Great little hook on the end of
> their levers if you're in need of that kind of thing. The GRCs felt
> very, very good. If I actually had some riding time with them, they
> might overtake my DBs. But I'd be happy with either. No direct
> experience with GRC, but I've heard they have exceptional customer
> service. Their levers can be purchased thru
> http://www.balleracing.com/GRC_Levers.htm or direct. Erik is a good guy
> and fellow rider... I've done business with him a couple times and plan
> on doing more.
>

> Dang, I could almost start my own ragzine... I could call it SlackRag
> and sell it for $5.99 usd/$10.99 cad :p

Pretty cool stuff. Thanks for all the links. I tracked down the ones I
had used and liked, they were bonz levers.
They make 1 and 2 finger versions. I really liked them because they were
so close to your bars that it felt like you had a better grip even with
your fingers over the brakes.
They also had exellent leverage, easy 1 finger nose stands.

-Bruce

> I tracked down the ones I had used and liked, they were bonz levers.
> They make 1 and 2 finger versions. I really liked them because they were
> so close to your bars that it felt like you had a better grip even with
> your fingers over the brakes.
> They also had exellent leverage, easy 1 finger nose stands.
>
> -Bruce

Man, my long winded novel didn't convince you :-( Maybe I won't start a
ragzine...

Looking at a picture of the Bonz levers, they look identical to the RR,
less the secondary adjustment. They look very nice.
--
Slacker

"Bruce Edge" <edge_take-this#-!#*%[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> Well, I can recommend three different ones. Two of which I actually own
>> and use. The last one, I've only checked out on some else's rig, not
>> riding.
>>
>> Razor Rock: Excellent machine work and very purdy. Extremely stiff with a
>> very wide profile. Works best, IMO, for dudes with larger hands/fingers.
>> Razor Rock sold their design to another company
>> <http://www.dabombusa.com/> Go to "Products" and then "Others" I bought
>> mine when Razor Rock was still around, so I can't tell you anything about
>> the new company.
>>

>> Dangerboy <http://dangerboyusa.com/levers.php> : Excellent machine work.
>> Smaller profile than RR levers. Very nice feel. I actually like my
>> DangerBoy's more than my RRs, but this could be due to my small hands.
>> Great customer service from DB. I bought mine direct, and they shipped
>> within 48 hrs of ordering, which was nice. I really like them a lot :)
>>

>> GRC <http://www.grcomponents.com/levers.htm> : Again, excellent machine
>> work and smaller profile than the RRs. Great little hook on the end of
>> their levers if you're in need of that kind of thing. The GRCs felt very,
>> very good. If I actually had some riding time with them, they might
>> overtake my DBs. But I'd be happy with either. No direct experience with
>> GRC, but I've heard they have exceptional customer service. Their levers
>> can be purchased thru http://www.balleracing.com/GRC_Levers.htm or
>> direct. Erik is a good guy and fellow rider... I've done business with
>> him a couple times and plan on doing more.
>>

>> Dang, I could almost start my own ragzine... I could call it SlackRag and
>> sell it for $5.99 usd/$10.99 cad :p

> Pretty cool stuff. Thanks for all the links. I tracked down the ones I had
> used and liked, they were bonz levers.
> They make 1 and 2 finger versions. I really liked them because they were
> so close to your bars that it felt like you had a better grip even with
> your fingers over the brakes.
> They also had exellent leverage, easy 1 finger nose stands.
>
> -Bruce

I can do no finger nose stands!

Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> "Bruce Edge" <edge_take-this#-!#*%[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Well, I can recommend three different ones. Two of which I actually
>>> own and use. The last one, I've only checked out on some else's
>>> rig, not riding.
>>>
>>> Razor Rock: Excellent machine work and very purdy. Extremely stiff
>>> with a very wide profile. Works best, IMO, for dudes with larger
>>> hands/fingers. Razor Rock sold their design to another company
>>> <http://www.dabombusa.com/> Go to "Products" and then "Others" I
>>> bought mine when Razor Rock was still around, so I can't tell you
>>> anything about the new company.
>>>

>>> Dangerboy <http://dangerboyusa.com/levers.php> : Excellent machine
>>> work. Smaller profile than RR levers. Very nice feel. I actually
>>> like my DangerBoy's more than my RRs, but this could be due to my
>>> small hands. Great customer service from DB. I bought mine direct,
>>> and they shipped within 48 hrs of ordering, which was nice. I
>>> really like them a lot :) GRC <http://www.grcomponents.com/levers.htm>
>>> : Again, excellent
>>> machine work and smaller profile than the RRs. Great little hook on
>>> the end of their levers if you're in need of that kind of thing.
>>> The GRCs felt very, very good. If I actually had some riding time
>>> with them, they might overtake my DBs. But I'd be happy with
>>> either. No direct experience with GRC, but I've heard they have
>>> exceptional customer service. Their levers can be purchased thru
>>> http://www.balleracing.com/GRC_Levers.htm or direct. Erik is a
>>> good guy and fellow rider... I've done business with him a couple
>>> times and plan on doing more. Dang, I could almost start my own
>>> ragzine... I could call it
>>> SlackRag and sell it for $5.99 usd/$10.99 cad :p

>> Pretty cool stuff. Thanks for all the links. I tracked down the ones
>> I had used and liked, they were bonz levers.
>> They make 1 and 2 finger versions. I really liked them because they
>> were so close to your bars that it felt like you had a better grip
>> even with your fingers over the brakes.
>> They also had exellent leverage, easy 1 finger nose stands.
>>
>> -Bruce

> I can do no finger nose stands!

Literal or figurative? Or do you just shove that foot in the crown
BMX-style?
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:%[email protected]...
> Dean A. Stepper wrote:
>> "Bruce Edge" <edge_take-this#-!#*%[email protected]> wrote in
>> message news:[email protected]...

>>> Pretty cool stuff. Thanks for all the links. I tracked down the ones
>>> I had used and liked, they were bonz levers.
>>> They make 1 and 2 finger versions. I really liked them because they
>>> were so close to your bars that it felt like you had a better grip
>>> even with your fingers over the brakes.
>>> They also had exellent leverage, easy 1 finger nose stands.
>>>
>>> -Bruce

>> I can do no finger nose stands!

> Literal or figurative? Or do you just shove that foot in the crown
> BMX-style?
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

As in downhill endo!

Slacker wrote:
>> I tracked down the ones I had used and liked, they were bonz levers.
>> They make 1 and 2 finger versions. I really liked them because they
>> were so close to your bars that it felt like you had a better grip
>> even with your fingers over the brakes.
>> They also had exellent leverage, easy 1 finger nose stands.
>>
>> -Bruce

> Man, my long winded novel didn't convince you :-( Maybe I won't start a
> ragzine...
>

> Looking at a picture of the Bonz levers, they look identical to the RR,
> less the secondary adjustment. They look very nice.

Hmmm, which ones had the secondary adjustment?
That might be a plus, the owner of the test rig I liked said he bled
them to get that feel. A non-bleed option would be nice.

Maybe you just did convince me.

-Bruce