afternoon jaunt

Wafflycathcsdir

Guest
The Unfit Family did a 25 mile leisure ride over to Hingham & then back home today. Had a light late
lunch at the cafe there - I was good as I had beans on toast (no spread on the bread) and the men
had a sausage roll followed by chocolate & kumkwat torte with ice cream. I refrained from dessert
and had a banana when we finally got back home. On the way back we got caught in a shower, but we
had our waterproofs with us so it wasn't a problem. As I pulled into the driveway at home I
swallowed a fly - I don't think I'll die ;-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
> The Unfit Family did a 25 mile leisure ride over to Hingham & then back home today. Had a light
> late lunch at the cafe there - I was good as I had beans on toast (no spread on the bread)

It might not have been so wise http://tinyurl.com/cmns ?? ;-)

I did my 50 mile loop through Garforth, Barwick, Scholes, Thorner, East Keswick, Harewood, Pool,
Otley and back home through Leeds. Got caught in the rain on two occasions one of which was hail,
dried off in between, my rain jacket does not keep me dry just a bit warmer. No stops for beans or
sausages or kumkwat torte or any other ravataillement. Still the Great Cycling God owes me a few
favours now. An enjoyable ride all in all, I seemed to be going pretty well.

> The Unfit Family did a 25 mile leisure ride over to Hingham & then back
home
> today. Had a light late lunch at the cafe there - I was good as I had
beans on
> toast (no spread on the bread) and the men had a sausage roll followed by chocolate & kumkwat
> torte with ice cream. I refrained from dessert and had
> banana when we finally got back home. On the way back we got caught in a shower, but we had our
> waterproofs with us so it wasn't a problem. As I
pulled
> into the driveway at home I swallowed a fly - I don't think I'll die ;-)
>
> Cheers, helen s
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~
> Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply
>
> Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
keyboaRRRDdd
> ~~~~~~~~~~

>It might not have been so wise http://tinyurl.com/cmns ?? ;-)

One bit of research does not a good case make

Yoda ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
>> It might not have been so wise http://tinyurl.com/cmns ?? ;-)
>
> One bit of research does not a good case make

Lucky there were two studies then? Philadelphia and Pennsylvania, btw. ;-)

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
>> Lucky there were two studies then? Philadelphia and Pennsylvania, btw. ;-)
>
> Nah - still not enough:)
>
> Personally I can't see the point of eating in an unbalanced way as long-term, you'll fail even if
> there are no other adverse health implications. One thing about science - just about for every
> study showing one conclusion, it's likely sooner or later there'll be another along showing the
> exact opposite

How else can poor academics justify their existence? We shouldn't be too harsh. ;-)

> >Lucky there were two studies then? Philadelphia and Pennsylvania, btw.
;-)

> Nah - still not enough:)
>
> Personally I can't see the point of eating in an unbalanced way as
long-term,
> you'll fail even if there are no other adverse health implications. One
thing
> about science - just about for every study showing one conclusion, it's
likely
> sooner or later there'll be another along showing the exact opposite -
hence
> *lots* of studies needed. To quote from the article, "On the face of it,
this
> study suggests the Atkins diet isn't that bad, but more research is
certainly
> needed." Besides which, having lost a sniff under 12lbs in a fortnight on
> low-fat calorie restricted plan, I don't particularly want to lose weight
any
> faster than that - it really wouldn't be healthy.
>
> Cheers, helen s

Helen,

You might not have enjoyed your bike ride so much today either. I briefly tried the Atkins diet, but
found it left me without much energy and with tired, heavy legs. Not ideal for cycling ):

Maureen

>The Unfit Family did a 25 mile leisure ride over to Hingham & then back home today. Had a light
>late lunch at the cafe there - I was good as I had beans on toast (no spread on the bread) and the
>men had a sausage roll followed by chocolate & kumkwat torte with ice cream. I refrained from
>dessert and had a banana when we finally got back home. On the way back we got caught in a shower,
>but we had our waterproofs with us so it wasn't a problem. As I pulled into the driveway at home I
>swallowed a fly - I don't think I'll die ;-)
>
>Cheers, helen s

It's a good feeling when you feel as though you've had a good 'jaunt'.

I did a cool 50 miles today, up to Ealing and back to see brother/wife and nephew. I was able to
maintain a steady cadence all the way, and felt reasonably strong. Three years ago I was on over 20
a day and doing bugger-all exercise. Today I've packed up smoking and can pedal a bit here and
there. Suits
me.

I'm convinced a good night's sleep is as good a preparation as anything to feeling 'capable' when
exercising.

bob

>So long as you stop before swallowing the damned horse;-)

Too many calories in a whole one.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

>It's a good feeling when you feel as though you've had a good 'jaunt'.

Indeed it is!

>Today I've packed up smoking and can pedal a bit here and there. Suits
>me.

Excellent.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote:

> So long as you stop before swallowing the damned horse;-)

Would that be an _old_ lady you're thinking of?

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

<[email protected]> wrote:
>> Would that be an _old_ lady you're thinking of?
>
> Not in Helens case, honest Guv. <Goes into paving slab alert mode>

I thought I was - erm - pointing out a discrepancy in your allusion.

--

On Sun, 25 May 2003 17:24:09 GMT, "Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Lucky there were two studies then? Philadelphia and Pennsylvania, btw. ;-)

Serious point where none intended: Always read the label. Atkins' diet was designed to for those
with an essentially sedentary lifestyle. Modifying it to provide the carbo required for cycling or
whatever is a bit like modifying a detox diet by adding alcohol and coffee.

Me, I swear by the old-fashioned EH diet. It works.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Unfit? How many really unfit people could manage to ride 25 miles? My family would be knackered
doing it in the car! Keep it up and promote the English sausage.
P.S. I was at Fort Bill for the World Cup. It was bib short heaven. You should have been
there. Or not.

Robin (World Cup Chaser Failure) Long.

> The Unfit Family did a 25 mile leisure ride over to Hingham & then back
home
> today. Had a light late lunch at the cafe there - I was good as I had
beans on
> toast (no spread on the bread) and the men had a sausage roll followed by chocolate & kumkwat
> torte with ice cream. I refrained from dessert and had
> banana when we finally got back home. On the way back we got caught in a shower, but we had our
> waterproofs with us so it wasn't a problem. As I
pulled
> into the driveway at home I swallowed a fly - I don't think I'll die ;-)
>
> Cheers, helen s
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~
> Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply
>
> Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
keyboaRRRDdd
> ~~~~~~~~~~

>Unfit? How many really unfit people could manage to ride 25 miles

This one does - I cycle *slowly* ;-)

>My family would be knackered doing it in the car! Keep it up and promote the English sausage.

Thank you - start off on very short distances & gradually work up. I just love cycling - wouldn't
get me in a gym for love nor money though!

>P.S. I was at Fort Bill for the World Cup. It was bib short heaven. You should have been there. Or
> not.

Or not, I think ;-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

Robin Long wrote:
> Unfit? How many really unfit people could manage to ride 25 miles? My family would be knackered
> doing it in the car! Keep it up and promote the English sausage.

My wife intends to join me on a 30 mile ride next weekend, so hopefully at least one. Mind you, she
has observed that looking after a toddler has made her a lot fitter than she was 6 months ago. Last
weekend she had no trouble with a 16 mile ride, a distance that previously would have been a
challenge.

> P.S. I was at Fort Bill for the World Cup. It was bib short heaven. You should have been there. Or
> not.

Dangerous ground ;-)

Thomas Paine