AFTQ: YHA Membership, HRMs, To camp or not to camp..

hippy wrote:
> [...]

> May 13.
>
>> No need to send your bike seperately unless you are carrying mountains
>> of gear. We are taking a tandem with us and I've never had a problem
>> taking a half-bike on a plane.

> I was told it would cost me $30/kg excess baggage. That's pretty ****
> compared to $6.50 unaccompanied. It might not _all_ be excess baggage
> but it's a steel mtb with rack and panniers and I'm taking to the UK
> everything I think I'll need to live there once the bike touring is
> done. This could amount to a lot of stuff - I hoard!
>
>> We have YHA memberships that we have been using in Aus and found all
>> but the one we tried to stay at in Queenscliff excellent, especially
>> Pittwater YHA.

> Lonely Planet suggests getting YHA membership. I think I'll get it over
> there - seems cheaper that way and I find out if I really need it first.
>
>> We will be camping most of the time. We will pre book accomodation in
>> places that we know we are going to be on a certain day eg., on arrival
>> or departure from a country. Apart from that we will be camping as we
>> will be traveling during holiday time and dont want to be caught out by
>> having to be in a certian place at a certain day when we've found
>> somewhere else where the wine is good or its raining and we want to
>> explore.

> I don't have an itinery. I'm planning on hostel-hopping my way across
> Europe freestyle-like.
>
>> Don't know if it's still he case but last time I was in France I found
>> out the the wine at cafes was cheaper than the coffee!! Great for the
>> pocketl, bloody hard riding up 15% hills when youv'e had to much to
>> dring though!

> I hate wine. What were beer prices like? :)
>
>> As we are traveling on a tandem we only have 4 panniers for the 2 of us
>> so we have to pack well. Macpac Escapade 350 sleeping bags compress down
>> to zip.

> Macpac Escapade 350: $260, 1kg
> Merlin Softie 3: $300RRP, 800g (army boys use 'em)
>
>> A silk liner is a must.

> Saw these at Mountain Designs.. $75!! Why are they so much better? Can't
> I just stink? :) Is there a cheaper option, like polypro?
>
>> Cotton is BAD. No jeans! Paddy Pallin
>> or Kathmandu have some great quick drying clothes.

> I've got some thermals and some polypro tops. I'll wear knicks and put
> shorts over 'em in town. Change of 'normal' clothes for when I'm washed
> and going out in town.
>
>> Without camping gear
>> our panniers packed way in at 14kgs for our last trip to NZ. Our Orteib
>> panniers arrive this week so we will see how we go for a trial pack.

> So with camping gear you'd be at 20kg baggage limit. I then have to pack
> 'real' clothes and stuff in a suitcase for when I head back to London to
> find a job. This is gonna hurt my wallet, hence Fast Air or Jetta.
>
>> Have you planned a route yet??

> London -> Dover, ferry to Calais, ride north until money runs out :)

Hippy we still have heaps of bike boxes :)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 01:49:45 +1000, hippy <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Tamyka Bell wrote:
>> It doesn't really matter how the sleeping bag smells if the thing you
>> put in it reeks anyway. Hippy, you will reek if you sleep outdoors for a
>> few days with no shower. Invest in baby wipes, and make sure that your
>> sleeping bag dries quickly so you can wash it next time you're indoors.
>> And seriously, if you're camping out, get a bivvy bag, they're sooooo
>> good.

>My bro said to get a Merlin Softie 3.
>Anyone have any personal experience with this sleeping bag?

Stu,
My suggestions on sleeping bags :

Down bags are expensive, vey light and warm, pack very small,
and if tey get wet, they're rooted. They take a week to dry -
literally!

Synthetic bags - heavier (but a lot better than they used to be)
bulky, but they're ok if they get damp, and easier to work with.

If your panniers are 100% waterproof *and* you carry the bag in a
waterproof stuffsack *and* your tent/bivvy doesn't leak, get a
light down bag.Otherwise, get a synthetic. I get my synth bags
from scratchmanpoo when they have sales - *never* shop there
at any other time! You can roll over to my place and have a look
at about 4 different bags and if you've been washed recently, even
get in one and try it out.

The real key is a good sleeping mat, and the right warmth bag for
your trip - remember you *can* put clothes on inside a sleeping
bag to make it warmer. It is a myth that this does not work.

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 02:27:07 +1000, hippy <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> As we are traveling on a tandem we only have 4 panniers for the 2 of us
>> so we have to pack well. Macpac Escapade 350 sleeping bags compress down
>> to zip.

>Macpac Escapade 350: $260, 1kg
>Merlin Softie 3: $300RRP, 800g (army boys use 'em)

Macpac bags are expensive - you'll get a bag just as good from
scratchmanpoo. forget anthing the army uses, it'll be cheap
rubbish - soliders use what the army gives them, and it's not
made to be anything more than as cheap as possible, and heavy
and "rugged" to survive a bunch of grunts beating the
**** out it after lugging 20kg of ammo all day on a forced march.

TimC <[email protected]> wrote in news:slrn-
[email protected]:

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 at 04:13 GMT, Graeme (aka Bruce)
>> Or alternatively "Je suis un Étranger stupide. Parlez anglais vous
>> grenouille!" although I don't recommend that last one :)

> "I am a stupid Foreigner. Speak English splashes you"?
>
> Stupid foreigner systran.

Almost, the second sentence was (meant to be) "Speak English you Frog!".
Again, not one to be used, but unfortunately represents the attitude of far
too many English speakers.

Graeme

Carl Brewer wrote:
> If your panniers are 100% waterproof *and* you carry the bag in a
> waterproof stuffsack *and* your tent/bivvy doesn't leak, get a
> light down bag. Otherwise, get a synthetic. I get my synth bags
> from scratchmanpoo when they have sales - *never* shop there
> at any other time! You can roll over to my place and have a look
> at about 4 different bags and if you've been washed recently, even
> get in one and try it out.
>
> The real key is a good sleeping mat, and the right warmth bag for
> your trip - remember you *can* put clothes on inside a sleeping
> bag to make it warmer. It is a myth that this does not work.

Thanks everyone for your sleeping bag suggestions. I ended up going to
Mountain Designs in Hawthorn and picked up the following:

Mountain Designs Travelite 350 (down bag, 350g fill, 1160g) RRP: $280?
Thermarest Prolite 3 S (51x119cm, 370g, the f'n small one!) RRP: $160
Thermarest Stuff Sack 3 S RRP: $17.95
Thermarest Repair Kit RRP: $13.95

Got the lot for $392..
or about the cost of the sleeping bag alone from Kathmandu :)

Now I'm just worried about my cheap panniers and their ability to keep
out the water which I will inevitably have to ride through..

Carl, you mentioned kayaking stores for their water-tight bags? Still
reckon I should get some to use in the panniers?

hippy

hippy wrote:

> Carl Brewer wrote:
> > If your panniers are 100% waterproof *and* you carry the bag in a
> > waterproof stuffsack *and* your tent/bivvy doesn't leak, get a
> > light down bag. Otherwise, get a synthetic. I get my synth bags

<snips>

> Now I'm just worried about my cheap panniers and their ability to keep
> out the water which I will inevitably have to ride through..
>
> Carl, you mentioned kayaking stores for their water-tight bags? Still
> reckon I should get some to use in the panniers?
>
> hippy

Well, Carl would know better than me but...

Unless you're planning on fording beyond pannier depth, surely some
garbage bags would do the trick?

Tam

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> hippy wrote:
>>Now I'm just worried about my cheap panniers and their ability to keep
>>out the water which I will inevitably have to ride through..
>>
>>Carl, you mentioned kayaking stores for their water-tight bags? Still
>>reckon I should get some to use in the panniers?

> Well, Carl would know better than me but...

Don't encourage him! :p

> Unless you're planning on fording beyond pannier depth, surely some
> garbage bags would do the trick?

Yeah, but garabage bags tear. I would prefer something more durable.

hippy

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:29:14 +1000, hippy <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Don't encourage him! :p

Not fair!

>> Unless you're planning on fording beyond pannier depth, surely some
>> garbage bags would do the trick?

>Yeah, but garabage bags tear. I would prefer something more durable.

Give Canoes plus a call and see what they have. they're in Kew, on
Whitehorse Rd, near Glenferrie. Garbags work too, and are cheaper,
but a drybag is a nice thing to have.

hippy said:
Yeah, but garabage bags tear. I would prefer something more durable.

hippy

Any bushwalking store should sell packliners - They'll do the job and are tougher than garbage bags. I've just got a cheap Paddy Pallin one which they threw in for free with my Macpac pack and it's survived many years of keeping my down bag dry...

This site (http://www.thru-hiker.com/) has a lot of useful info which might translate well to bike touring...

Eddie(mmmm...macpac)c

wrote:

>Don't encourage him! :p

Not fair!

>> Unless you're planning on fording beyond pannier depth, surely some
>> garbage bags would do the trick?

>Yeah, but garabage bags tear. I would prefer something more durable.

Big ziplock bags can be good.
But even better is Ortleib.
We just received a complete set of Ortleib panners on Monday from the US.
They include the Backroller Plus, Sportpacker Plus, a medium H/bar bag and a Rack Pack. They material is fairly bombproof (although I have seen a hungry squirrel chew through one) and they dont fall off. We have met with a few long distance tourers and they all seem to end up with Ortleib.
We have worked our way through Cannondale, Karrimor, Serratus and Summit panniers so far.
With only 4 panniers between the two off us so we must pack well and use compact gear or it just wont fit. We each have 1 20l bag each for our clothes and sleeping bag. Cooking gear and food will be in the front 2. The thermarests will be in the Rack Bag with the overflow.
My old Berghaus sleeping bag weighs in at 1350g. The new Macpac weighs 850g and packs into half the space.

37 days to go!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Geoff

Carl Brewer wrote:
>>>Unless you're planning on fording beyond pannier depth, surely some
>>>garbage bags would do the trick?

>>Yeah, but garabage bags tear. I would prefer something more durable.

> Give Canoes plus a call and see what they have. they're in Kew, on
> Whitehorse Rd, near Glenferrie. Garbags work too, and are cheaper,
> but a drybag is a nice thing to have.

Thanks!

http://www.canoesplus.com.au/canoesplus/contact.html

hippy

geoffs wrote:
>>Big ziplock bags can be good.

I want some smaller ones too for little items, obviously :)

>>But even better is Ortleib.

Yeah, but I already have these panniers.. I'm hesitant to shell out on
Ortliebs right now, with so little touring experience. I can just tell
I'm gonna get annoyed with these ones and get Ortliebs - these are a bit
fiddly to take off the bike.

If I use a tough liner or waterproof bag or whatever, it means I can
take it out of the panniers when the bike is locked, without having to
take the panniers themselves off.

What do you do when you see something interesting where a bike wont
enter? Lock it outside and hope nothing gets nicked? Remove the panniers
and see if they can be stored somewhere?

>>We have worked our way through Cannondale, Karrimor, Serratus and
>>Summit panniers so far.

I've got a few brands to go then! :p

>>With only 4 panniers between the two off us so we must pack well and
>>use compact gear or it just wont fit. We each have 1 20l bag each for
>>our clothes and sleeping bag. Cooking gear and food will be in the
>>front 2. The thermarests will be in the Rack Bag with the overflow.
>>My old Berghaus sleeping bag weighs in at 1350g. The new Macpac weighs
>>850g and packs into half the space.

I found the label for mine. They are "Axiom Kootenay" panniers. Made
from 1200 water 'resistant' (don't like the sound of that) polyester.
38.5L capacity for the pair, but I guess that's including the small
pockets too.

>>37 days to go!!!!!!!!!

22 days to go... oh fark!

hippy

hippy <[email protected]> wrote in news:d46nd1$h9i$1
@otis.netspace.net.au:

> Thermarest Repair Kit RRP: $13.95

Be warned that this is a real bugger to get to work properly. I tried it
several times on a punctured thermarest at home and I never got it to work
properly. In the end I used "Shoe Goo" which was simple to use and did the
trick straight away. It's wonderful stuff and is great for fixing holes in
camping gear, the end result may not look too fancy, but it does the job.

Graeme

hippy said:
What do you do when you see something interesting where a bike wont
enter? Lock it outside and hope nothing gets nicked? Remove the panniers
and see if they can be stored somewhere?

hippy
Bar bag, bar bag, bar bag. Or if you like and normally ride with a backpack or courier bag, one of those. Keep valuables in that, ie camera, documents, money, negotiable instruments, medications etc. Sling it over your shoulder and take it everywhere. The rest is merely camping gear and old clothers (no matter how expensive) and stays in panniers on bike with a long cable around panniers, bike and something solid. Won't stop the slash and grab merchants but it will stop the opportunist just lifting your gear and walking off.

Courier bag probably looks a bit more stylish. Bar bag probably a bit less useable volume but will sit better on bike. Backpack would be useful if you decide to go for a stroll on Ben Nevis, Mont Blanc etc

What did you do about a sleeping bag liner?

Oh, and good choice on the sleeping bag. I have the great grandfather of that bag, bought in 1975 when Mountain Designs was just a single shop in Brisbane and their sleeping bags were made in Australia. Used it backpacking in Europe and as a doona on the bed when I was back in London. Still going strong.

SteveA

The Karrimors lasted for something like 30,000kms of touring and I still have them as a momento. They were repaired many times and when I first started using them on tandem No1, I extended them to fit more gear in. Make sure there is absolutely no way that they can swing around and get caught in the spokes. A well designed steel pannier rack such as a tubus Cargo will prevent this. I bought a good rack before I bought good panniers. Blackburn do break! We met a couple of cyclists on the Otago Rail Trail in Sth NZ who were having to walk out to find a road.
Spray the panniers with Techniseal and get some Bostic seam sealer. Carry a needle and thread. You can buy some really strong poly-cotton thread and if they start to fall apart you can repair them. Some duct tape and electrical tape wrapped around an allen key can come in handy. Cableties are another great thing to have.
I were going to make do with our Summit Gear panniers but we did a deal and have bought them through the guy that we are getting the tandem from at trade price. Couldn't say no :eek:)
We have a Macpac Apollo which has vestibules on each side. We put the rear panniers with the clothes on one side and the cooking gear on the other. If we are leaving the tent for the day unattended for a days exploration, we will leave the panniers in the tent. Camping near family groups seems to help security. Handlebar bag goes wherever I go.
People are pretty helpful and friendly to cycle tourists. Most places will let you park the bike somewhere safe and out of the way. If a place doesn't seem friendly, dont go there. I have never had any trouble with losing equipment but I always remove easy to take items such as meter, pump etc.
In Menton (French Riviera),we had a restuarant tell us not to lean the tandem on the wall beside them so we just went to the restuarant next door and worked our way through the menu. Their loss.

Cheers

Geoff

Graeme wrote:

> hippy <[email protected]> wrote in news:d46nd1$h9i$1
> @otis.netspace.net.au:
>
> > Thermarest Repair Kit RRP: $13.95

> Be warned that this is a real bugger to get to work properly. I tried it
> several times on a punctured thermarest at home and I never got it to work
> properly. In the end I used "Shoe Goo" which was simple to use and did the
> trick straight away. It's wonderful stuff and is great for fixing holes in
> camping gear, the end result may not look too fancy, but it does the job.
>
> Graeme

How do you puncture a thermarest?

Tam

Hippy,

Although we have been talking about cycle touring when you are away, discussion in another thread prompts me to raise 'the International Driving Permit'. Not universally necessary to drive overseas. Not required in the UK or many other parts of Europe, but in some places they do ask to see them before they will hire a car to you.

Can only get them from Australian motoring orgs (like RACV) if you hold an Australian licence, but you can apply by post from overseas.

For you, it is probably only a 'just-in-case' item rahter than a necessity.

$27 for 12 months from RACV.

http://motoring.racv.com.au/racvrt/beforeyougo/roadrules.cfm?id=49633BBC-83BC-11D5-9FD5000629A8697D

Can be useful for ID purposes. I gave mine to the shipping agent who wanted to hold my passport when he was arranging ferry tickets from Greece to Turkey.

SteveA

geoffs wrote:

<snip>
> thread and if they start to fall apart you can repair them. Some duct
> tape and electrical tape wrapped around an allen key can come in handy.
> Cableties are another great thing to have.

<snip>

Don't even THINK about leaving home without gaffa tape or (especially)
zip ties. With gaffa tape, zip ties and a handy pocket knife, anyone can
be the next MacGuyver (sp?)

Tam

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:39:36 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Graeme wrote:
>>
>> hippy <[email protected]> wrote in news:d46nd1$h9i$1
>> @otis.netspace.net.au:
>>
>> > Thermarest Repair Kit RRP: $13.95

>> Be warned that this is a real bugger to get to work properly. I tried it
>> several times on a punctured thermarest at home and I never got it to work
>> properly. In the end I used "Shoe Goo" which was simple to use and did the
>> trick straight away. It's wonderful stuff and is great for fixing holes in
>> camping gear, the end result may not look too fancy, but it does the job.
>>
>> Graeme

>How do you puncture a thermarest?

with anything sharp, or abrasion - they're a foam-filled inflatable
mattress - very fancy cross between a lilo and a foam bed