AFTQ: YHA Membership, HRMs, To camp or not to camp..

Carl Brewer wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:39:36 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Graeme wrote:
> >>
> >> hippy <[email protected]> wrote in news:d46nd1$h9i$1
> >> @otis.netspace.net.au:

> >> Be warned that this is a real bugger to get to work properly. I tried it
> >> several times on a punctured thermarest at home and I never got it to work
> >> properly. In the end I used "Shoe Goo" which was simple to use and did the
> >> trick straight away. It's wonderful stuff and is great for fixing holes in
> >> camping gear, the end result may not look too fancy, but it does the job.
> >>
> >> Graeme

> >How do you puncture a thermarest?

> with anything sharp, or abrasion - they're a foam-filled inflatable
> mattress - very fancy cross between a lilo and a foam bed

<snip>

Yeah I'm familiar with 'em, very much so, I've just never seen one
punctured before. That'd be some serious abrasion or some deliberate
jabbing, surely?

Tam

SteveA wrote:
> Bar bag, bar bag, bar bag.

Yeah.. gotta get one.

> Or if you like and normally ride with a backpack or courier bag, one of those.

I do.. but was going to try to avoid that when touring.

> Sling it over your shoulder and take it everywhere. The rest is merely
> camping gear and old clothers (no matter how expensive) and stays in
> panniers on bike with a long cable around panniers, bike and something
> solid. Won't stop the slash and grab merchants but it will stop the
> opportunist just lifting your gear and walking off.

I'll need to buy some u locks, cable, etc. I'll see how long Krypto
cables are..

> Courier bag probably looks a bit more stylish. Bar bag probably a bit
> less useable volume but will sit better on bike. Backpack would be
> useful if you decide to go for a stroll on Ben Nevis, Mont Blanc etc

Hmm.. I'll see what the bar bags with the shoulder strap are like. I
plan on taking the Crumpler but I was going to leave it in London for
when I get back.

> What did you do about a sleeping bag liner?

Kathmandu, silk, $50.

> Oh, and good choice on the sleeping bag.

Blame Carlos for that.. ;) <everybody> Thanks Carl! </everybody>

hippy

hippy> Yeah, but I already have these panniers.. I'm hesitant to
hippy> shell out on Ortliebs right now, with so little touring
hippy> experience. I can just tell I'm gonna get annoyed with these
hippy> ones and get Ortliebs - these are a bit fiddly to take off
hippy> the bike.

Have you read this?

http://www.downtheroad.org/Equipment/Bikes/Bicycle_Touring_Panniers.htm

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Ortleibs rock. Fair enough I
only use mine for commuting but I've been through some hellish rain in
that time and they've come through with flying colours. Also skated
down the road thanks to my complete incompetence with tram tracks with a
teeny scuff the only evidence.

Don't even think about garbage bags, absolute waste of time. Invest
your money in something more durable. Suggestion about Crumpler is a
good one, you needn't wear it while riding 'cause you can bungy it to
the rack. That'll save your back a bit.

Just the opinion of an ex-squaddie who's invested much time in to
keeping things dry in the field :)
--
Cheers
Euan

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Ortleibs rock.

'nuff said.
We met this family in Sth NZ and invited them to stay with us when they arrived in Sydney. They had taken a year off work and cyled through Sth America, NZ and Asia. We convinced them to hire a car in Sydney to explore for a couple of weeks. They had 2 tandems and a single that the kids took turns on. The eldest was 9yrs and the youngest was 6 which I didn't think would be safe in wonderful Sydney.
They had a few different panniers and the only ones they said were any good and would recommend were the ortleibs.
I am a big believer in not reinventing the wheel and the do it once do it right school of thought.

Cheers

Geoff

SteveA wrote:
> Although we have been talking about cycle touring when you are away,
> discussion in another thread prompts me to raise 'the International
> Driving Permit'. Not universally necessary to drive overseas. Not
> required in the UK or many other parts of Europe, but in some places
> they do ask to see them before they will hire a car to you.
>
> Can only get them from Australian motoring orgs (like RACV) if you hold
> an Australian licence, but you can apply by post from overseas.
>
> For you, it is probably only a 'just-in-case' item rahter than a
> necessity.
>
> $27 for 12 months from RACV.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/973dw
>
> Can be useful for ID purposes. I gave mine to the shipping agent who
> wanted to hold my passport when he was arranging ferry tickets from
> Greece to Turkey.

Ta. I had one of these when I went to Japan. Kinda dismissed it early
for this trip due to taking the bike, but you know it could come in handy..

I might just head over to RACV..

Tanks!
hippy

hippy wrote:
>> http://tinyurl.com/973dw
>>
>> Can be useful for ID purposes. I gave mine to the shipping agent who
>> wanted to hold my passport when he was arranging ferry tickets from
>> Greece to Turkey.

> Ta. I had one of these when I went to Japan. Kinda dismissed it early
> for this trip due to taking the bike, but you know it could come in handy..
>
> I might just head over to RACV..

Well.. that was quick.. I'm now licensed all across the globe.. scary :p

hippy

Tamyka Bell said:
Yeah I'm familiar with 'em, very much so, I've just never seen one
punctured before. That'd be some serious abrasion or some deliberate
jabbing, surely?
Sleeping in a field of bindi-eyes on the first night of a 3 month tour of Central Aus. At Uluru, I was able to buy a foam mat and sent my thermarest home. Others in the party used their rain coats or heavier ground sheets underneath their thermarests from then on.

In Europe, you probably won't have this problem. If there are small holes, you can use the glue from your patch kit or Seam Grip.

geoffs said:
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Ortleibs rock.
I wouldn't worry about your panniers too much, Hippy. Sure Ortleibs are great, but you're only going for a short time, you've already got reasonable panniers, you might not ride in the rain much, and I assume you won't be fording huge rivers.

I've always wrapped my gear in ordinary plastic bags, usually two for my sleeping bag. My wife bags me (so too speak) for keeping a collection of plastic shopping bags for camping trips, but it's handy to have a supply in a variety of sizes of the better ones eg. Myers, Khatmandu etc...

I've used one set of Karrimor and 2 sets of Wilderness Equipment panniers and these have lasted over 20 years of touring, including 3 years RTW. Just recently started using a pair of Ortleib fronts, but still use the WE fronts that are 20 years old.

Found this on Sheldon Brown's site:

Top Ten List: Why Bicycle through Europe?

(Direct from the home office in Sioux City, Iowa!)

</FONT>Reasons for:

  • 10. Cheaper than EurailPass (in the long term)
  • 9. You want to camp most of the time
  • 8. More satisfying - bragging rights
  • 7 Will make you incredibly fit very quickly
  • 6 You'll see more diverse areas of the country you're visiting
  • 5. You are very independent minded
  • 4. You'll develop a greater spirit of adventure
  • 3. More opportunities to meet the people
  • 2. Richer experience of the country and it's culture
  • 1. Don't have to pay outrageous European gas prices
Reasons against:

  • You hate physical exercise (people in that category probably aren't here)
  • You don't have a bike / haven't ridden in years
  • You're only/mostly interested in the large cities
  • Limited time to visit many places (although - 1990!)
  • You get discouraged easily
  • You have no one to travel with and get lonely easily
  • Depending on country and route, you won't always have access to hostels
  • Traveling in winter

SteveA

slaw wrote:

<snip>

> Sleeping in a field of bindi-eyes on the first night of a 3 month tour
> of Central Aus. At Uluru, I was able to buy a foam mat and sent my
> thermarest home. Others in the party used their rain coats or heavier
> ground sheets underneath their thermarests from then on.

Hmmmm I think only one of us ( not me...:-( ) had a decent ground sheet
for under the tent. Good thing I took the old tent - the floor could've
been used as a tea strainer by the time I got home. Did I have a
raincoat with me ?? I can't remember.

I don't remember a great lot about flat thermarests but I DO remember
some of those bloooooody corrugations - particularly the Heather
Highway.

--
Humbug

"SteveA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Found this on Sheldon Brown's site:
>

> TOP TEN LIST: WHY BICYCLE THROUGH EUROPE?
> *(Direct from the home office in Sioux City, Iowa!)*
>
> </FONT>*Reasons for:*
>

> - 10. Cheaper than EurailPass (in the long term)
> - 9. You want to camp most of the time
> - 8. More satisfying - bragging rights
> - 7 Will make you incredibly fit very quickly
> - 6 You'll see more diverse areas of the country you're visiting
> - 5. You are very independent minded
> - 4. You'll develop a greater spirit of adventure
> - 3. More opportunities to meet the people
> - 2. Richer experience of the country and it's culture
> - 1. Don't have to pay outrageous European gas prices

1A. Beats the hell out of going to work!

Geez, I'm glad there's a neat little touring thread going. It's heightening
my anticip.......ation of trotting off in July.

> REASONS AGAINST:

There's reasons against????

> - You hate physical exercise (people in that category probably aren't
> here)

I'm here! As long as I don't think of biking as exercise I'm OK. It's just
fun, OK? The fitness bit is ONLY a by-product of riding for fun. I DON'T
EXERCISE!! I have a reputation to uphold!

> - You don't have a bike / haven't ridden in years
> - You're only/mostly interested in the large cities
> - Limited time to visit many places (although - 1990!)

So visit fewer places and go again when you can!

> - You get discouraged easily

That's me too. Unmotivated slob. Only riding because it's fun (see above!).

> - You have no one to travel with and get lonely easily

All by my own! There's always plenty of people to talk to if I want, or
lovely solitude when I want that.

> - Depending on country and route, you won't always have access to
> hostels

But there's always access to plonk. Enough plonk and you don't need a
hostel!

> - Traveling in winter

Done that too. Bloody cold in East Germany in winter! But bearable...
just... with plenty of time spent in warm places and very little riding
(slipping and sliding mostly!)

> SteveA

FBF Frank (Fat, Balding and Fortymumble)