Again THE FAQs: Welcome to uk.rec.walking

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Derek Moody, Jul 16, 2004.

  1. Derek Moody

    Derek Moody Guest

    I should like to volunteer my contribution towards posting the NEW
    FAQs as requested.

    FAQs for U

    (test post to validate content and size, apologies all round. Please
    do not adjust your filters, normal service will be resumed as soon as
    possible)

    This replaces the biased, self opinionated blow job drivel that the
    sex pest troll Philip Powell [email protected]>

    This FAQ can be posted by anyone, amended by anyone at any time, there
    is no designee for FAQs, please feel free to add, alter or amend any
    or all of it.

    Welcome to the uk.rec.walking newsgroup
    =======================================

    Last modified on 28th February 2003.

    This is a monthly introductory posting intended to aid newcomers to
    the
    _unmoderated_ newsgroup uk.rec.walking - a Usenet forum for the
    discussion of topics related primarily to walking in the UK and
    Ireland. The newsgroup was originally created in the summer of
    1995 and this monthly "Welcome" has been posted since 01-01-98
    following discussion among the regulars at that time.

    WHILST THIS IS GENERALLY AGREED BY THE POSTERS TO
    uk.rec.walking IT IS STRICTLY UNOFFICIAL AND SHOULD BE
    USED FOR GUIDANCE ONLY. If you have any queries regarding
    this then we will be quite happy to assist you, just ask, please
    remember opinions given are worth no more or less than anyone else
    posting here, except Powell of course.
    He's a prat and doesnt count.
    He often attempted to shut down UEC and start his own newsgroup, no
    one rallied to his whimper on either count, so he sulked and left.

    The original charter for uk.rec.walking can be found at:

    <http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.rec.walking.html>

    We have a small number of generally accepted guidelines:

    1 Strictly speaking,

    ALL NET NANNIES ARE FORBIDDEN BY THE CHARTER

    THE REPETITION OF NET NANNY whinging IS NOT WELCOME

    2 Please keep your line length to 70 characters [plain
    text] to
    assist readers whose terminals cut longer lines so that a
    post becomes almost meaningless.

    3 No binaries or MIME encoded messages.

    4 Please post in Plain Text not with HTML. MS Outlook
    [Express]
    defaults to HTML. You can change this by using the Menu
    choice Tools/Options/Send and selecting 'Plain Text for
    News
    and E-mail'.

    5 Signatures can be any length

    6 Remember that some postings are cross-posted to/from other
    newsgroups so your response may be read elsewhere.

    Some subjects may cause heated debate but they are usually resolved
    amicably which is why this is such a successful group.

    The kind of topics covered here include:
    Problems with blisters/boots etc.
    Queries and debate regarding the interpretation of footpath
    law.
    Requests for advice on a Long Distance Path.
    Details of an enjoyable walk and trip reports [TR].
    Information about walking related web sites.
    Recommendations for accommodation/equipment/maps etc.
    Compasses and navigation.
    Maps - see <http://www.old-maps.co.uk> for 19th century
    maps
    of most of the UK.

    PLEASE NOTE:
    Requests by new subscribers for information regarding the
    National Three Peaks - Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon
    -
    are most welcome

    If your query is better answered in the online FAQ or elsewhere,
    someone will almost certainly point you in the right direction.

    If you are also interested in climbing you might like to try:

    uk.rec.climbing

    Other newsgroups of probable interest include:

    uk.rec.natural-history
    uk.rec.birdwatching
    rec.backcountry
    uk.rec.caving
    uk.rec.camping

    This also contains a link to past postings available on Google
    [formerly Deja]

    For posting photographs and other items of interest, Carol Haynes
    has
    provided a group site for uk.rec.walking:

    Paul Saunders has compiled a photo gallery of the posters to
    uk.rec.walking which can be found at:

    <http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/urw/index.html>

    Adrian Marsh Tupper provides a monthly stats roundup of the
    newsgroup
    postings at:

    <http://www.highscotland.co.uk>

    The URL takes the form:
    <http://www.highscotland.co.uk/urwnov01.htm>
    using the first three letters of the month and last two digits of
    the year.

    He also has Munro Bagging on the Web at:

    <http://www.highscotland.co.uk/mindex.htm>

    At present it contains links to help you with queries regarding:
    Lists of walking related web sites
    LDPs
    Gear
    A Friendly Welcome - food and drink
    British Isles flora and fauna
    Walking/climbing screensavers

    The Boots FAQ has been revised by Chris Gilbert and Graham Drabble.
    It is posted every 21 days and is available at:

    <http://users.ox.ac.uk/~sjoh1646/urw-boot.txt>

    Of course, how this can be developed depends on the subscribers.

    If you want to see general advice from walking-related
    organisations
    see:

    The British Mountaineering Council
    <http://www.thebmc.co.uk>
    The Mountaineering Council of Scotland
    <http://www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk>
    The Scottish Rights of Way and Access Society
    <http://www.scotways.com>
    <mailto:[email protected]>
    The Ramblers Association
    <http://www.ramblers.org.uk>

    And finally - one response in a thread entitled "Why do you walk?":

    "The views of distant summits,
    the smell of wilderness heather,
    the grasp of rock and branch in the hand,
    the blowing of the wind,
    the shining of the sun,
    the solitude, the emptiness,
    the peace, the quiet,
    the shine of sunlight on speckled ice,
    the crisp feel of fresh snow under boot,
    the freshness of the mountain burn,
    the tenderness of the foot,
    the dampness of the whole spinal area,
    the scratching of the midge bite,
    the inaccuracy of the weather forecast,
    the thick cloud from two thousand feet,
    the rain, the cold,
    the distant beep of GPS,
    the rattling click of walking poles,
    the smell of insect repellent,
    the mud that's deeper than it looks,
    the leaking water bottle,
    the sting of untethered drawcord,
    the tension of annoying walking partner,
    the coach party on top of Ben Lomond,
    the getting back down,
    the comfortable car seat,
    the removal of the boots,
    the sigh,
    the relaxation,
    the pint of cold beer,
    the "I was up there" feeling.

    I guess it's just good fun."

    Copyright Colin MacDonald, ukrw, 02/11/99

    British Mountain Lists

    The Peak Bagging Phenomenon
    The allure of mountain lists is a very British phenomenon. This is a
    brief introduction to the various British mountain lists. These lists
    are concerned primarily with the mountains, hills and fells of 2000 ft
    and above.
    Peak bagging is often used as a derogatory term for walkers and
    mountaineers who appear to show more interest in the list than the
    mountain. However, it is quite possible to combine a deep love for the
    mountains and an interest in completing a list. Indeed, the target of
    completing a list can encourage the walker to get out into some of the
    more remote areas of our islands. Anyone who has completed a list
    will, at the very least, have a good knowledge of the area covered.

    Mountaineering Lists
    There are numerous mountain lists - every walker could compile his or
    her own based on individual criteria. It is my intention to outline
    the best-known of the eponymously named lists and others with, where
    available, online links.

    Munros

    The best-known of lists is the Munros. This list was first recorded by
    Sir Hugh Munro in the September 1891 issue of the Scottish
    Mountaineering Club Journal. An original member of the club, he set
    himself the task of recording all the Scottish peaks over 3000 ft -
    before then it was thought the number was little over 30.
    The original Munro Tables contained 538 tops of over 3000 ft, of which
    283 were considered distinct mountains. Unfortunately, Munro never
    made clear the criteria he used and the Tables have undergone periodic
    revision, the latest being in the summer of 1997.

    A 'Munroist' is a mountaineer who has successfully ascended the
    complete list of separate Mountains. Munro himself never did become
    a 'Munroist' as he died with two left to climb: the Innaccessible
    Pinnacle, which thwarted him on two occasions, and Carn Cloich-
    mhuillin, the Munro nearest his home which he was saving until last.

    Munros (284)
    http://www.gla.ac.uk/Subject/Hill/Lists/MunrosByRegion.html
    and Tops (511).
    http://www.gla.ac.uk/Subject/Hill/Lists/MunroTops.html

    Corbetts

    Following on from Munro, J. Rooke Corbett (the fourth man to complete
    the Munros) compiled a list of Scottish hills between 2500 and 3000
    ft. Although he never made explicit the criteria he used, it seems
    clear that his only test was a re-ascent of 500 ft on all sides -
    regardless of distance covered or the difficulty of the terrain. This
    list differs from Munro's in that it does not purport to contain every
    summit between 2500 and 2999 ft in Scotland.
    Corbetts.
    http://www.gla.ac.uk/Subject/Hill/Lists/Corbetts.html

    Grahams

    The obvious extension to the Corbetts was a list of those Scottish
    hills between 2000 and 2500 ft that fulfilled the criteria of a 500 ft
    re-ascent on all sides. This was done independently by both Fiona
    Graham and Alan Dawson. They eventually met to finalise a definitive
    list and agreed that it should be termed the Grahams. Tragically,
    Fiona Graham - whose real name was Helen Torbett - was murdered whilst

    Tags:

  2. In message <[email protected]>, Dave Fawthrop
    <[email protected]> writes
    >On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:43:00 +0100, Derek Moody <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >| ALL NET NANNIES ARE FORBIDDEN BY THE CHARTER
    >
    >This is not true.
    >The charter of urc can be found at:
    >http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.rec.walking.html
    >
    >Dave F

    "Topics relating to rock scrambling and hillwalking in full Winter
    conditions would be more appropriate to uk.rec.climbing."

    In practice this has not been kept to has it? I don't think that the
    present youarseys would be all that interested in mere rock scrambling
    or hillWALKING in winter conditions.

    --
    Martin Richardson
    239/284 Munros - 15% to go 34/34 'Furths' & 439/439 Nuttalls - 0% to go

  3. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > I should like to volunteer my contribution towards posting the NEW
    > FAQs as requested.

    Piss off.
    --
    Fran
    If you need my email address please ask.

  4. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from Martin Richardson <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > "Topics relating to rock scrambling and hillwalking in full Winter
    > conditions would be more appropriate to uk.rec.climbing."

    > In practice this has not been kept to has it? I don't think that the
    > present youarseys would be all that interested in mere rock scrambling
    > or hillWALKING in winter conditions.

    New newsgroup anyone, uk.rec.mountaineering?

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year 39 summits
    New - 22 (Marilyns 8, Sweats 5, Outlying Fells 11)

  5. In message <[email protected]>, Roger
    <[email protected]> writes
    >The message <[email protected]>
    >from Martin Richardson <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    >> "Topics relating to rock scrambling and hillwalking in full Winter
    >> conditions would be more appropriate to uk.rec.climbing."

    >> In practice this has not been kept to has it? I don't think that the
    >> present youarseys would be all that interested in mere rock scrambling
    >> or hillWALKING in winter conditions.

    >New newsgroup anyone, uk.rec.mountaineering?

    Uk.rec.gps/photoshopping

    --
    Martin Richardson
    239/284 Munros - 15% to go 34/34 'Furths' & 439/439 Nuttalls - 0% to go
    42/89 Donalds - 53% to go 0/? Himalayans - 100% to go
    442/1552 Marilyns - 72% to go

  6. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 23:03:05 +0100, Roger wrote:

    >The message <[email protected]>
    >from Martin Richardson <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    >> "Topics relating to rock scrambling and hillwalking in full Winter
    >> conditions would be more appropriate to uk.rec.climbing."

    >> In practice this has not been kept to has it? I don't think that the
    >> present youarseys would be all that interested in mere rock scrambling
    >> or hillWALKING in winter conditions.

    >New newsgroup anyone, uk.rec.mountaineering?

    Why? So we can have the 14 peaks rather than the 3 peaks?

  7. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:42:13 +0100, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] said...
    >> I should like to volunteer my contribution towards posting the NEW
    >> FAQs as requested.
    >>

    >Piss off.

    Don't beat about the bush, Fran. Say what you think!

    --

    Paul

    (Watch this space)

  8. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from Phil Cook <[email protected]> contains
    these words:

    > >> "Topics relating to rock scrambling and hillwalking in full Winter
    > >> conditions would be more appropriate to uk.rec.climbing."

    > >> In practice this has not been kept to has it? I don't think that the
    > >> present youarseys would be all that interested in mere rock scrambling
    > >> or hillWALKING in winter conditions.

    > >New newsgroup anyone, uk.rec.mountaineering?

    > Why? So we can have the 14 peaks rather than the 3 peaks?

    The 14 peaks (AKA Welsh 3000s) is still walking but hill walking in full
    winter conditions (at least in the Highlands) is mountaineering and
    scrambling might be so considered by some.

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year 39 summits
    New - 22 (Marilyns 8, Sweats 5, Outlying Fells 11)
    Repeats - 17( Marilyns 6, Sweats 12, Wainwrights 11)
    Knackered knee - 4 times

  9. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Paul Rooney <[email protected]> wrote
    >On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:42:13 +0100, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>[email protected] said...
    >>> I should like to volunteer my contribution towards posting the NEW
    >>> FAQs as requested.
    >>>

    >>Piss off.

    >Don't beat about the bush, Fran. Say what you think!

    Yeaah, why not speak out! My bird usually says "I'm going to say
    something to you involving water and travel".

    More often it's something about travel and short jerky movements....
    --
    Gordon

  10. spongebob

    spongebob Guest

    "Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The message <[email protected]>
    > from Phil Cook <[email protected]>

    contains
    > these words:

    Winter

    that the

    scrambling

    > > >New newsgroup anyone, uk.rec.mountaineering?

    > > Why? So we can have the 14 peaks rather than the 3 peaks?

    > The 14 peaks (AKA Welsh 3000s) is still walking but hill walking in

    full
    > winter conditions (at least in the Highlands) is mountaineering and
    > scrambling might be so considered by some.

    There has to be some blurring at the edges, that's why the suggestion
    is that it *would be more appropriate* to post such topics to urc.
    Martin, who pointed it out, is a keen scrambler. Judith and Bill OTOH
    would prefer flatter ground. I say keep it all here, we all get on ok.

    Graham

  11. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 08:57:37 +0100, Roger wrote:

    >The message <[email protected]>
    >from Phil Cook <[email protected]> contains
    >these words:

    >> >New newsgroup anyone, uk.rec.mountaineering?

    >> Why? So we can have the 14 peaks rather than the 3 peaks?

    >The 14 peaks (AKA Welsh 3000s) is still walking but hill walking in full
    >winter conditions (at least in the Highlands) is mountaineering and
    >scrambling might be so considered by some.

    I was thinking of these 14 peaks http://www.everestnews.com/8000.htm
    :)

  12. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:42:03 GMT, spongebob wrote:

    >"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> I was thinking of these 14 peaks http://www.everestnews.com/8000.htm
    >> :)
    >> --

    >Hasn't Alan Hinkes done K2 yet? He must spend every holiday he's got
    >in the Karakoram. I bet he'd REALLY like to go on a narrow boat.
    >C'mon, it's a doddle.

    He has K2

    He's done these

    1987 Shisha Pangma, 8046 metres
    1989 Manaslu, 8163 metres
    1990 Cho Oyu, 8201 metres
    1991 Broad Peak, 8047 metres
    1995 K2, 8611 metres
    1996 Everest, 8848 metres
    1996 Gasherbrum I, 8068 metres
    1996 Gasherbrum II, 8035 metres
    1997 Lhotse, 8516 metres
    1998 Nanga Parbat, 8125 metres
    1999 Makalu, 8463 metres
    2002? Annapurna, 8091 metres

    Which leaves

    Dhaulagiri, 8167 metres
    Kangchenjunga, 8586 metres

    Neither of which are in the Karokoram range.

  13. spongebob

    spongebob Guest

    "Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I was thinking of these 14 peaks http://www.everestnews.com/8000.htm
    > :)
    > --

    Hasn't Alan Hinkes done K2 yet? He must spend every holiday he's got
    in the Karakoram. I bet he'd REALLY like to go on a narrow boat.
    C'mon, it's a doddle.

    Graham

  14. In article <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
    <[email protected]> writes
    >On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:42:03 GMT, spongebob wrote:
    >

    >>"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >>> I was thinking of these 14 peaks http://www.everestnews.com/8000.htm
    >>> :)
    >>> --

    >>Hasn't Alan Hinkes done K2 yet? He must spend every holiday he's got
    >>in the Karakoram. I bet he'd REALLY like to go on a narrow boat.
    >>C'mon, it's a doddle.

    >He has K2
    >
    >He's done these
    >
    >1987 Shisha Pangma, 8046 metres
    >1989 Manaslu, 8163 metres
    >1990 Cho Oyu, 8201 metres
    >1991 Broad Peak, 8047 metres
    >1995 K2, 8611 metres
    >1996 Everest, 8848 metres
    >1996 Gasherbrum I, 8068 metres
    >1996 Gasherbrum II, 8035 metres
    >1997 Lhotse, 8516 metres
    >1998 Nanga Parbat, 8125 metres
    >1999 Makalu, 8463 metres
    >2002? Annapurna, 8091 metres
    >
    >Which leaves
    >
    >Dhaulagiri, 8167 metres

    He has now done Dhaulagiri:

    http://www.berghaus.com/index.asp?bhcd2=1090069125
    http://www.everestnews2004.com/everestnews3/alanhinkes2004dis2.htm

    >Kangchenjunga, 8586 metres
    >
    >Neither of which are in the Karokoram range.

    --

    Dominic Sexton
    http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

  15. In message <M%[email protected]>, spongebob
    <[email protected]> writes
    >> He's done these
    >>
    >> 1987 Shisha Pangma, 8046 metres
    >> 1989 Manaslu, 8163 metres
    >> 1990 Cho Oyu, 8201 metres
    >> 1991 Broad Peak, 8047 metres
    >> 1995 K2, 8611 metres
    >> 1996 Everest, 8848 metres
    >> 1996 Gasherbrum I, 8068 metres
    >> 1996 Gasherbrum II, 8035 metres
    >> 1997 Lhotse, 8516 metres
    >> 1998 Nanga Parbat, 8125 metres
    >> 1999 Makalu, 8463 metres
    >> 2002? Annapurna, 8091 metres
    >>
    >> Which leaves
    >>
    >> Dhaulagiri, 8167 metres

    >He did that in May
    >
    >> Kangchenjunga, 8586 metres
    >>

    >Which is his last one.

    Ben Hope?

    --
    Martin Richardson
    239/284 Munros - 15% to go 34/34 'Furths' & 439/439 Nuttalls - 0% to go
    42/89 Donalds - 53% to go 0/? Himalayans - 100% to go
    442/1552 Marilyns - 72% to go

  16. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from "spongebob" <[email protected]> contains these words:

    snip

    > > The 14 peaks (AKA Welsh 3000s) is still walking but hill walking in
    > > full winter conditions (at least in the Highlands) is mountaineering
    > > and scrambling might be so considered by some.

    > There has to be some blurring at the edges, that's why the suggestion
    > is that it *would be more appropriate* to post such topics to urc.
    > Martin, who pointed it out, is a keen scrambler. Judith and Bill OTOH
    > would prefer flatter ground. I say keep it all here, we all get on ok.

    Actually I think it is more in keeping here than in urc. I subscribed to
    urc briefly back in 1996 but found too many of the contributors right
    bastards. Someone posted here relatively recently that urc had almost
    died as some bulletin board (or suchlike) had become the focus of
    attention among climbers.

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year 39 summits
    New - 22 (Marilyns 8, Sweats 5, Outlying Fells 11)
    Repeats - 17( Marilyns 6, Sweats 12, Wainwrights 11)
    Knackered knee - 4 times

  17. spongebob

    spongebob Guest

    "Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote

    > He has K2

    So he has.

    > He's done these
    >
    > 1987 Shisha Pangma, 8046 metres
    > 1989 Manaslu, 8163 metres
    > 1990 Cho Oyu, 8201 metres
    > 1991 Broad Peak, 8047 metres
    > 1995 K2, 8611 metres
    > 1996 Everest, 8848 metres
    > 1996 Gasherbrum I, 8068 metres
    > 1996 Gasherbrum II, 8035 metres
    > 1997 Lhotse, 8516 metres
    > 1998 Nanga Parbat, 8125 metres
    > 1999 Makalu, 8463 metres
    > 2002? Annapurna, 8091 metres
    >
    > Which leaves
    >
    > Dhaulagiri, 8167 metres

    He did that in May

    > Kangchenjunga, 8586 metres

    Which is his last one. The last time I took any notice must have been
    nine years ago when he seemed to be on K2 for ages. He's got cracking
    since then.

    Graham

  18. Ian Dainty

    Ian Dainty Guest

    "Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Actually I think it is more in keeping here than in urc. I subscribed to
    > urc briefly back in 1996 but found too many of the contributors right
    > bastards.

    Yes indeed, I wonder what happened to Roy who also used to post here?

    Ian.

  19. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:42:13 +0100, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >[email protected] said...
    > >> I should like to volunteer my contribution towards posting the NEW
    > >> FAQs as requested.
    > >>

    > >Piss off.

    > Don't beat about the bush, Fran. Say what you think!

    <g>

    Dunno 'bout anyone else, but I've had enough of these so-called
    'faq' threads. Anyone know where Phillip is?