Against the Wind

sansabar

Jul 19, 2005
One thing I have never gotten used to is riding against the wind. It is always a ride that I dread. I try telling myself that it's good training, better workout, etc. but I am never able to get over the psychology of it. I set goals and play mind games with hills and sprints but have yet to find a way to resolve my dread of a windy day. I'm not training for competition, just getting back into riding after several years off and forgetting just how much I loved the sport.
Anyone share my anxiety and found resolutions?

I'm with you. I don't enjoy riding in strong winds, for a whole host of reasons. Headwinds are a pain because I have to work so hard to generate any bike speed and stuff blows into my eyes. Sidewinds keep knocking me off my line and if I'm riding the shoulder and large trucks and buses are whizzing by it can actually be dangerous as the vehicles temporarily block the wind and causes me to swerve toward the vehicle. Tailwinds are fun because I can go fast but it's always short lived. But, where I live now if I didn't ride on windy days I would have to train on only about 2/3rds of the days. The only thing I can tell you is that I dislike riding in the wind less now that I have a PM. At least now I can look down and see that I am working at my desired intensity even though the bike is slow. In fact, it's easier to ride an interval at a target power into the wind.

Like climbing hills, part of the challenge of riding against the wind is mental. There is little opportunity for rest, and the momentum robbing effects can be felt in each and every pedal stroke - sapping your strength and testing your resolve. I agree with RapDaddyo that having a power meter helps the mental aspect quite a bit. It used to be "Man! Why do I feel so crappy?" and now it's "Hmmm...275W on the flats, no wonder this feels hard."

I've actually gotten more comfortable riding in the wind this year since I started thinking about it more like a long hill climb (which I actually enjoy). Now, I sit up a bit and drive through the wind like I would a steady grade, rather than struggling along trying to shrink out of the wind.

If climbing is the domain of the lightweights, then windy days are a blessing for the bigger riders.

sansabar said:
One thing I have never gotten used to is riding against the wind. It is always a ride that I dread. I try telling myself that it's good training, better workout, etc. but I am never able to get over the psychology of it. I set goals and play mind games with hills and sprints but have yet to find a way to resolve my dread of a windy day. I'm not training for competition, just getting back into riding after several years off and forgetting just how much I loved the sport.
Anyone share my anxiety and found resolutions?
One of my trunk routes has a section that's almost always a headwind up a false flat on the way home. This is the worst scenario for my psychologically, because the grade is so slight it doesn't feel like a climb, and the wind robs speed, too.

I think the worst thing about headwinds, mentally, is that I wind up going so slow that it gets me down. Lacking a powermeter, all I know is that suddenly I've lost 3 or 4 mph even though I'm working my butt off. Then I go harder (the tyranny of the speedometer!) and blow up. It'll make me stronger in the long run, but until I get a PM it'll be demoralizing. Or I could get over my preoccupation with my average speed ;)

danch said:
One of my trunk routes has a section that's almost always a headwind up a false flat on the way home. This is the worst scenario for my psychologically, because the grade is so slight it doesn't feel like a climb, and the wind robs speed, too.

I think the worst thing about headwinds, mentally, is that I wind up going so slow that it gets me down. Lacking a powermeter, all I know is that suddenly I've lost 3 or 4 mph even though I'm working my butt off. Then I go harder (the tyranny of the speedometer!) and blow up. It'll make me stronger in the long run, but until I get a PM it'll be demoralizing. Or I could get over my preoccupation with my average speed ;)
I have that same preoccupation; I place way too much emphasis on my average speed. But something that has helped me with this preoccupation when riding in the wind is calling my local airport to check current wind speeds, so that I'll know exactly what to expect.

This works really well for me since I usually have a tail wind going out and a head wind coming home. And if I know that there's a 15-20 mph wind, I'll know that my speed going out needs to be 4-5 mph faster since it's going to be at least 4-5 mph slower coming home.

And sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between a 10 or a 20 mph tailwind, so it's hard to tell that I need to take advantage of it unless I have some data telling me other wise.

Doing this has raised my average speed by about 1-2 mph in windy weather.

soonerbiker said:
This works really well for me since I usually have a tail wind going out and a head wind coming home. And if I know that there's a 15-20 mph wind, I'll know that my speed going out needs to be 4-5 mph faster since it's going to be at least 4-5 mph slower coming home.

And sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between a 10 or a 20 mph tailwind, so it's hard to tell that I need to take advantage of it unless I have some data telling me other wise.
I typically try to ride against the wind on the way out if possible. That helps to avoid the dreaded "OMG, what have I done?" when I get to the turnaround point and discover that a nice little 20mph tailwind has been pushing me along the entire time. :eek:

Powermeters. I understand what they do and what they are for but have little knowledge what to look for in one. Right now I use a simple cyclocomputer to control my speed and cadence. If I should make a move to a powermeter what should I look for?

frenchyge said:
I typically try to ride against the wind on the way out if possible. That helps to avoid the dreaded "OMG, what have I done?" when I get to the turnaround point and discover that a nice little 20mph tailwind has been pushing me along the entire time. :eek:
I made this mistake right after Katrina passed. I ddn't feel the wind so much on the way out, but that was a LONG 10 miles back. I couldn't even slack up and coast downhill or I would slow up to about 11 mph! I have paid a lot more attention to the strength of the wind before I go out now. I agree, if given the choice I'll take the headwind on the way out then I feel like I have earned the push on the way back.

sansabar said:
If I should make a move to a powermeter what should I look for?
About a $700+ price tag. If you're still interested then there are discussions of the various options over in the Power Training forum.

I too am become a slave to my average speed, and my daily route is pretty much southwest which is usually a direct head or cross wind. I hate it. Like you I have started paying close attention to wind speed and direction before I get started and this has helped me cope. I wish I had a power meter or cadence counter, I bet that would help. What do these cost and where is a good place to look for one. Would either be a better investment than clips and shoes?

soonerbiker said:
I have that same preoccupation; I place way too much emphasis on my average speed. But something that has helped me with this preoccupation when riding in the wind is calling my local airport to check current wind speeds, so that I'll know exactly what to expect.

Doing this has raised my average speed by about 1-2 mph in windy weather.

stilesiii said:
I wish I had a power meter or cadence counter, I bet that would help. What do these cost and where is a good place to look for one. Would either be a better investment than clips and shoes?
IMO, no. I'd recommend clipless pedals and shoes before either of those. I think the cost of a power meter is only justified for people who are training for competition.

So I take that the guys complaining about wind must live in FLAT areas.
I agree that is mostly a mental game and who is actually NOT a slave of the average speed?
That is one of those things about riding. You have hills and wind to deal with. Hills are predictable, since they will be the same ones on the same route. Wind is unpredictable, and it is more annoying since once you are on flat you want to go fast.

"If climbing is the domain of the lightweights, then windy days are a blessing for the bigger riders."

I have to agree with that - I am 195 - gear down, lean on the aero's, show your grin of pain, and give it hell!!
...at 15 mph!

Hey guys, the wind is just a way of providing hills for people who live in flat areas. I have heard that every 5 mph of wind is equivalent to a 1 percent grade. That means battling out against a 20 mph wind is like climbing a 4% hill. And each one of those gusts is just a steeper pitch.

If you want to complain about wind, I was doing the final day of a 5-day 360 mile ride last week. The final day was 57 miles - all of it into a 15-20 mph wind. There was also some climbing. My average speed for that ride was 11 mph and I was working hard all the way. That compares with 16-18 on the flats without wind. And the sad part was it was a one-way ride. I didn't even get to coast back with the wind

It is totally a mental game. You can call it a climb, a chance to train or just the luck of the ride. The next day it may be a tailwind and you'll be telling all your buddies about your 22-mph cruise.

Ricktoon

The more you complain about the wind the more you do your head in.The less you care,the more you get on with the job.

ricktoon said:
I have heard that every 5 mph of wind is equivalent to a 1 percent grade. That means battling out against a 20 mph wind is like climbing a 4% hill. And each one of those gusts is just a steeper pitch.
Ricktoon

It wont be so linear as the increase in drag is quadratic. That means if 5mph is 1% then 10mph will be will probably be more than 2%. However it probably wont be as simple as 4% which you might expect. In fact I might do some maths on this later and then get back.

The thing for me about the wind is that I hate cross winds on a wet day. Some roads are worn smooth and have no grip and the front wheel gets blown about which is unnerving as there is nothing you can do (I'm only a little shorty so dont put much weight on the front). Lately I have upped my training and I am much better in the wind. In fact it doesn't bother me so much these days.

Rather than use a power meter or a cycle computer (I ditched that because keeping my average speed up was getting dangerous!) I really just check on my gears. Depending on what clothes I am wearing I know what gear I should be in in various places. If I feel good and I'm down a gear then I know I should be up one on the return because I have a head wind. In some ways its also a good motivator to think I should be trying to pull a higher gear at what feels like a good cadence.

Looking to find some positive aspect to this topic I would like to slide back to the Powermeter comments. While monitoring my heartrate during yesterdays ride, against the wind, I had a thought. Is the real difference between a powermeter and a heartrate monitor one indicates how hard you are pushing your bike and the other how hard you are pushing your body? I realize that this is a simplistic approach and there are many aspects and variable involved, but isn't that basically it?
So if my HR is at 170 and I am only doing 11 mph how would knowing the watts I am producing help me?

sansabar said:
Looking to find some positive aspect to this topic I would like to slide back to the Powermeter comments. While monitoring my heartrate during yesterdays ride, against the wind, I had a thought. Is the real difference between a powermeter and a heartrate monitor one indicates how hard you are pushing your bike and the other how hard you are pushing your body? I realize that this is a simplistic approach and there are many aspects and variable involved, but isn't that basically it?
That's what the HR monitor makers would like you to think, and that's the model that most people use. In reality, a power meter indicates how hard you are pushing *your body and the bike* and a HRM indicates the body's *response* to that effort. The difference may seem subtle, but the reason I highlight it is because the body doesn't always respond in the same way to the the same effort, based on many external factors (ie, not related to the cycling effort).

sansabar said:
So if my HR is at 170 and I am only doing 11 mph how would knowing the watts I am producing help me?
There's no way to tell from your HR. One person might generate 200w at 170bpm, and another person 400w. Additionally, you might generate 200w on one day and 260w on another day at the same HR.

If you can approximate your size, wind and road conditions, then you can calculate the watts required to push the bike at 11mph using online tools such as this one: http://analyticcycling.com/

frenchyge said:
That's what the HR monitor makers would like you to think, and that's the model that most people use. In reality, a power meter indicates how hard you are pushing *your body and the bike* and a HRM indicates the body's *response* to that effort. The difference may seem subtle, but the reason I highlight it is because the body doesn't always respond in the same way to the the same effort, based on many external factors (ie, not related to the cycling effort).

There's no way to tell from your HR. One person might generate 200w at 170bpm, and another person 400w. Additionally, you might generate 200w on one day and 260w on another day at the same HR.

If you can approximate your size, wind and road conditions, then you can calculate the watts required to push the bike at 11mph using online tools such as this one: http://analyticcycling.com/
This is all true, and it's even worse. Your HR also reflects the cadence at which you are riding. I'll give you a real-world example. I have been training for a long hillclimb TT course that has numerous grade changes. Due to my gearing, I have had to ride certain sections well below my preferred climbing cadence of 90-100. In fact, sometimes my cadence drops into the high 50s on this climb with my present gearing. My PM continues to reflect my intensity of effort at these low cadences, but my HR drops quite a bit, giving me a misleading measure of my intensity of effort. I also vary my intensity of effort on this climb quite rapidly in response to grade changes. My PM responds instantly to these changes in intensity of effort but my HR lags changes in intensity by up to a minute.

RapDaddyo said:
Your HR also reflects the cadence at which you are riding.
I not sure how much I buy into that idea, although I'm not ready to dispute it yet. In your hill climbing example, you had previously said that you were unable to maintain the desired *power* through the low cadence sections. How do you know the HR drop was due to the lower cadence and not the lower power?

I certainly don't believe the examples that the posters on the other thread gave where their HR 'spiked' or 'shot-up' when they tried riding at a higher cadence.

frenchyge said:
I not sure how much I buy into that idea, although I'm not ready to dispute it yet. In your hill climbing example, you had previously said that you were unable to maintain the desired *power* through the low cadence sections. How do you know the HR drop was due to the lower cadence and not the lower power?

I certainly don't believe the examples that the posters on the other thread gave where their HR 'spiked' or 'shot-up' when they tried riding at a higher cadence.
Well, I've got lots of data on the relationship between power, cadence and HR for me personally. I don't know if the relationships I have observed for myself would apply to others (e.g., you), but I can tell you with absolute certainty that, at a given power, my HR and cadence are directly and positively correlated throughout the cadence range of 120-60. I know this in part because I have done gearing/cadence tests where on the same day and time I have ridden the identical course segment at precisely the same speed (to 0.1 mph) but with different gears and, consequently, different cadences. Because the gears are staggered and not continuous, my data are also staggered, but the results are undisputable. If I were to ride a 5% grade climb at my preferred cadence of ~100 and then went back and climbed it in a larger gear at a cadence of, say, 60, my HR would be about 10bpm lower at the lower cadence. If one believed that HR is the best measure of intensity of effort and the best predictor of fatigue, one would do the climb at 60rpm. But, HR is not the best measure of intensity of effort and is not the best predictor of fatigue and therefore I would go by my RPE and do the climb at my preferred cadence ~100rpm. It is for this exact reason that on numerous occasions here I have cautioned the HRM devotees to be careful about using HR to guide them in selecting a cadence. In my hill climb practice rides, clearly one reason for my lower HR was the lower power, but the lower cadence also contributed to the lower HR.