Since my recent decision to start riding again, my daughter has shown an interest in ridding with me. I'm curious if anyone else rides with their children and what ages are they? My daughter is 9 and has more energy than I could ever dream of. We haven't riden more than just around the neighborhood together because I'm iffy about taking her where cars are driving by.
I ride with my son, who's almost 7, several times a week. I make a point of picking routes away from cars. We ride at his pace and stop when he want's to - so it's more of an exercise in my patience than anything else! However we have lots of fun and he rides easily 20 miles on a 30# BMX bike!. I just got him a new aluminum 24" wheel bike with 21 speeds so longer rides are definetly possible.
But I know your concern about her being near cars. I'm fortunate as there are several "no cars allowed" trails nearby. I have noticed that when we are out on a road, the motorists give us a lot more room than if I'm by myself.
My kids are 11 and 12. My son always starts off with good intentions and then about 10 mins in he's complaining about a sore backside, legs, feet, you name it. It just makes things miserable! I am thinking about getting him a new bike for Christmas, but I wonder if it is going to be a waste of money?
I took them up the forest trails and then my daughter crashed off her bike going downhill. It is a real sickener when that happens and you do nothing but blame yourself when it does. She was really keeping up with me going round as well. She's fine though fortunately, but not too keen on going out again just now ...