age limit?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by STXR814, Jul 7, 2007.

1. STXR814

STXR814 New Member

My question is my son, 11 yrs. old, is wanting to ride with me and I don't ride alot but about 4 20mile rides a week, that's about all I've got time for right now until I can possibly go to more days per week then longer rides. Anyways, my question is for an 11 yr. old boy is there to much riding he could do or can he overdo it? Thanks

Tags:

2. punksurfer024

punksurfer024 New Member

as much as he can handle....

3. KatieS

KatieS New Member

My 9 year old is pretty comfortable with a 20 mile ride (I think the most she's done is about 28). You might have to be prepared to go a bit slower though, which I personally find a bit frustrating.

4. AndROOb

AndROOb New Member

Use your recovery rides for kids day out.

Once they get used to that, take them out on shorter L2 rides etc

5. Ade Merckx

Ade Merckx New Member

Get in a short hard ride before the riide with your daughter and bring down the frustration levels:D

6. Lanerossi

Lanerossi New Member

In my opinion you should start with something like a 10 miles walk, if he never ride for such a distance!
    I remember that the first time I rode a bike longer than my courtyard I had a bad crysis and I hadn't rode for a long time, when I was 12-13

7. STXR814

STXR814 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I let him go riding with me yesterday and we were prob. 3 miles away from home and he started having problems breathing so we went back and I went by myself. He has asthma so I was wondering how the heat would be, its about 100 or close to it when we went out and personally it doesn't affect me because I work in it 10 hrs. a day and at that 3 mile mark when he was having problems I was just getting warmed up and getting strong so I understand the frustration but I was concerned about him too. We've learned just that he is only going to be able to ride when it's cooler early in the morning or later at night. BTW, I know I just started riding but when I see this L2, L3, and so on what does that mean? Thanks for the input.

8. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

See here for an explanation. Basically they refer to intensity levels while riding which correspond with the primary physiological development attained by riding at that level:
    http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/power411/levels.asp