Age related training

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by belto, Apr 19, 2006.

  1. belto

    belto Guest

    Hi I am 67 years of age 5' 11", 82 Kgs (180 lbs) and keep myself
    reasonably in trim I think, via diet exercise etc. I played Rugby union
    until approx 45 years
    Being semi retired and selfish I wish to feel good and look good ?
    A few months ago I started at the local Gym using various resistance
    machines and also the cross trainer to warm up.
    I began to feel a bit giddy and my eyes became a little blurred but quickly
    corrected itself and now I go longer and harder without the same effects
    This must be good I suppose.
    I have since read via various NG that my Heart rate target should be between
    92 - 138 but this is like a walk in the park with no feeling of exercise or
    challenge to my body.
    I reach 158 - 162 on the cross trainer and breathing heavy but quickly
    recover.
    Should I take note of the recommended heart rate, are there any long term
    effects or should I just listen to my body.
    My blood pressure at rest is 128 SYS / 87Dia pulse @71
    Advice from qualified persons most welcome to me and also of help to many
    other old farts that may use this NG

    Tags:

  2. rev

    rev Guest

    belto wrote:
    > Hi I am 67 years of age 5' 11", 82 Kgs (180 lbs) and keep myself
    > reasonably in trim I think, via diet exercise etc. I played Rugby union
    > until approx 45 years
    > Being semi retired and selfish I wish to feel good and look good ?
    > A few months ago I started at the local Gym using various resistance
    > machines and also the cross trainer to warm up.
    > I began to feel a bit giddy and my eyes became a little blurred but quickly
    > corrected itself and now I go longer and harder without the same effects
    > This must be good I suppose.
    > I have since read via various NG that my Heart rate target should be between
    > 92 - 138 but this is like a walk in the park with no feeling of exercise or
    > challenge to my body.
    > I reach 158 - 162 on the cross trainer and breathing heavy but quickly
    > recover.
    > Should I take note of the recommended heart rate, are there any long term
    > effects or should I just listen to my body.
    > My blood pressure at rest is 128 SYS / 87Dia pulse @71
    > Advice from qualified persons most welcome to me and also of help to many
    > other old farts that may use this NG

    Your BP seems a tad high depending on if that is your usual reading but
    you seem to be doing great. I, at the ripe age of 54, began weights 2
    years ago and never looked back. I don't get too fussed about cardio and
    heart rate but I know the combination of reduced body fat and weight
    lifting (compound lifts generally) has reduced my heart rate amazingly.
    I even embarrass my ever growing larger Doc these days. I chuckle.

    --
    Bob Volkmer

  3. "belto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi I am 67 years of age 5' 11", 82 Kgs (180 lbs) and keep myself
    > reasonably in trim I think, via diet exercise etc. I played Rugby
    > union
    > until approx 45 years
    > Being semi retired and selfish I wish to feel good and look good ?
    > A few months ago I started at the local Gym using various resistance
    > machines and also the cross trainer to warm up.
    > I began to feel a bit giddy and my eyes became a little blurred but
    > quickly
    > corrected itself and now I go longer and harder without the same
    > effects
    > This must be good I suppose.
    > I have since read via various NG that my Heart rate target should be
    > between
    > 92 - 138 but this is like a walk in the park with no feeling of
    > exercise or
    > challenge to my body.
    > I reach 158 - 162 on the cross trainer and breathing heavy but quickly
    > recover.
    > Should I take note of the recommended heart rate, are there any long
    > term
    > effects or should I just listen to my body.
    > My blood pressure at rest is 128 SYS / 87Dia pulse @71
    > Advice from qualified persons most welcome to me and also of help to
    > many
    > other old farts that may use this NG

    You've been athletic - trust your instincts about how hard to push.

    Consider lifting free weights - they're what most bodies need more than
    aerobic exercise as we age, IMHO. Don't give up the cardio entirely but
    consider focusing on lifting.

    Do pay a visit to the doctor just to be sure everything is OK before you
    get into things too seriously. I agree with the other responder than
    your BP sounds a bit high, but maybe regular exercise will help it
    lower.

    Good luck, and please ask again if you need.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  4. Adam K

    Adam K Guest

    As long as you are a-okay by the doc, you could push yourself on the cardio
    getting it in your heartrate levels on going for the time. I would also
    start encorporating strength training and getting those muscles as in shape
    as possible.

    --
    Adam K
    Check out the Rejuvenation

    "belto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi I am 67 years of age 5' 11", 82 Kgs (180 lbs) and keep myself
    > reasonably in trim I think, via diet exercise etc. I played Rugby union
    > until approx 45 years
    > Being semi retired and selfish I wish to feel good and look good ?
    > A few months ago I started at the local Gym using various resistance
    > machines and also the cross trainer to warm up.
    > I began to feel a bit giddy and my eyes became a little blurred but
    > quickly
    > corrected itself and now I go longer and harder without the same effects
    > This must be good I suppose.
    > I have since read via various NG that my Heart rate target should be
    > between
    > 92 - 138 but this is like a walk in the park with no feeling of exercise
    > or
    > challenge to my body.
    > I reach 158 - 162 on the cross trainer and breathing heavy but quickly
    > recover.
    > Should I take note of the recommended heart rate, are there any long term
    > effects or should I just listen to my body.
    > My blood pressure at rest is 128 SYS / 87Dia pulse @71
    > Advice from qualified persons most welcome to me and also of help to many
    > other old farts that may use this NG

  5. I guess you keep doing what you are doing now. What most important, try
    to be relax. Considering your age, don't push to much to achieve a
    certain target in your exercise. Make exercise as part of your relax
    time. Once in a time, visiting doctor is also needed to care your
    health. Enjoy your life!

    Conny
    http://sweetpaprika.lipblogs.com/