age & weight

sonomasp

Feb 19, 2004
In my 20's - early 30's my weight was always around 140 -150 lb.
But in the last few years I have slowly crept up to 160-165.

I got down to 150 for a few months last year around the time of doing a double century with 16,000 vertical.

I just turned 39 but don't feel it.
Used to be a Cat 3, now hanging with Cat 4 in Twilights Crits.

Question: Is this a condition of my age and metabolism that I can't change?

By that I mean I don't want to just lose the weight but keep it off.
But I fear that I may end up killing myselft to do this.

I may be dilusional but want to get super fit like some years ago.

Used to do "Death Rides" as my friend called them. 3-4 days back to back 100-130 a day with around 5K - 10k of climbing.

Thanks

Lots of smart folks on this subject. They'll be here shortly I'm sure.

I THINK what they will say is diet. Write down everything you eat in a week. You may be surprised?
What's the body fat % at?

Anyway, the folks that really KNOW this stuff will be here shortly.

Lots of threads on weight loss etc.

Originally posted by sonomasp
In my 20's - early 30's my weight was always around 140 -150 lb.
But in the last few years I have slowly crept up to 160-165.

I got down to 150 for a few months last year around the time of doing a double century with 16,000 vertical.

I just turned 39 but don't feel it.
Used to be a Cat 3, now hanging with Cat 4 in Twilights Crits.

Question: Is this a condition of my age and metabolism that I can't change?

By that I mean I don't want to just lose the weight but keep it off.
But I fear that I may end up killing myselft to do this.

I may be dilusional but want to get super fit like some years ago.

Used to do "Death Rides" as my friend called them. 3-4 days back to back 100-130 a day with around 5K - 10k of climbing.

Thanks

Combining weight training with cardio will help u lose the lbs and keep it off. Weight training increases muscle mass which in turn will up your metobolic rate which means you will be burning calories while at rest. This coupled with sensible diet and cardio (riding bike) should do it....

30 yo / 5'10" / 195 lbs. (as low as 190 during the summer) / never higher than 9% bosy fat.

Basically I maintain this by eating right, not dieting, and riding. As for other strength attributes: sit-ups, push-ups, & pull-ups.

It was mentioned above to keep a log of what you eat and how your rides. This will give you a good idea how your body processes foods and how it benefits or hurts your cycling/fitness leve. Everyone is different. You just have to find out what is best for you.

Yes your body & metabolism changes with age. I use to be a max of 185 lbs. when I was in my 20's. I am actually faster on my bike now, and yet I am heavier. But now I watch what goes in, except for Sunday night dinner (eat like a pig night). I do not believe in "diets", but I do believe in eating right. I just think how is this going to help me ride better or faster, if it has a positive affect I eat alot of it. I have ridden with people that have bonked hard because they were dieting, limiting calories. Not a really good idea if you are going to be doing long rides.

Just my 2 cents worth of babble...

Ron

I've found a direct correlation between having a steady girlfriend and putting on weight.

Apparently, with a significant other, I'm more relaxed and therefore I burn fewer calories. I sleep better at night, and I find myself eating more.

I eat all kinds of unhealthy food when we go out, and sometimes I have to eat things just because she cooked it for me, rather than eating simply because I'm hungry.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you, but I've just noticed the connection, and I was wondering if you might be experiencing something similar.

Originally posted by ibike73
30 yo / 5'10" / 195 lbs. (as low as 190 during the summer) / never higher than 9% bosy fat.

Basically I maintain this by eating right, not dieting, and riding. As for other strength attributes: sit-ups, push-ups, & pull-ups.

It was mentioned above to keep a log of what you eat and how your rides. This will give you a good idea how your body processes foods and how it benefits or hurts your cycling/fitness leve. Everyone is different. You just have to find out what is best for you.

Yes your body & metabolism changes with age. I use to be a max of 185 lbs. when I was in my 20's. I am actually faster on my bike now, and yet I am heavier. But now I watch what goes in, except for Sunday night dinner (eat like a pig night). I do not believe in "diets", but I do believe in eating right. I just think how is this going to help me ride better or faster, if it has a positive affect I eat alot of it. I have ridden with people that have bonked hard because they were dieting, limiting calories. Not a really good idea if you are going to be doing long rides.

Just my 2 cents worth of babble...

Ron

Bl.... h... Ron, you sure that's 9% bf? 48 yo / 5'10" / 150 lbs and still aiming to shed 5 or 6 lbs prior to the etape du tour

No, you're not delusional (or if you are, you've got some company there!)

I'm going to hit 36 in a few months, but for the last few years I've consistently been 4-8kg lighter than I was all through my 20s. My general fitness levels are a lot better too. Better than they've ever been, in fact.

It's mostly due to increased regular exercise... 1-3 hours a day on 4 out of 5 weekdays (mostly cardio such as cycling, jogging or rowing, plus a bit of strength work), and a bit more than that on weekend days. It's definitely not due to diet because I eat like a horse (or a pig according to some people), half live on junk food, and don't make any effort to control my weight.

What I'm thinking of doing now is getting back my top-level upper body strength. As a 5-foot-nuthin' teenage girl I could throw about 80kg around (a couple of bags of cement, anyway) without too much difficulty. I can't do that at the moment, but I'm aiming to get it back. Even, as you said, if it kills me. That's my delusion du jour. ;)