aging tubulars

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike Krueger, Jan 27, 2003.

  1. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    user wrote in RBM: << FS: 1 pair of new, never glued Challenge Strada tubulars. Made in Thailand
    from Clement patterns. Been hanging on rims for 1 year-aged & ready to go. Sold as pair only: $65. +
    shipping ($5-6 for postage). PayPal accepted. Reply to: [email protected] >>

    What is the advantage of aging tires for a year or more before riding them?

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    There is none.

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    "Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > user wrote in RBM: << FS: 1 pair of new, never glued Challenge Strada tubulars. Made in
    Thailand
    > from Clement patterns. Been hanging on rims for 1 year-aged & ready to go. Sold as pair only: $65.
    > + shipping ($5-6 for postage). PayPal accepted. Reply to: [email protected] >>
    >
    > What is the advantage of aging tires for a year or more before riding
    them?

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > user wrote in RBM: << FS: 1 pair of new, never glued Challenge Strada tubulars. Made in
    Thailand
    > from Clement patterns. Been hanging on rims for 1 year-aged & ready to go. Sold as pair only: $65.
    > + shipping ($5-6 for postage). PayPal accepted. Reply to: [email protected] >>
    >
    > What is the advantage of aging tires for a year or more before riding
    them?

    None that I know of.

    At one time tubulars were delivered damp, freshly made and I think that may be where this urban
    myth began.

    I would guess that there's probably some small truth that older rubber whose volatile components
    have flashed would be ever so slightly harder (and putatively faster) but I bet it's not enough to
    measure. These things start when someone surmises a performance effect and others mindlessly repeat
    it as gospel.

    It is, however, a good idea to air a tubular on a clean rim to ensure that it holds air and is
    straight because you cannot return a tubular if there is cement on the base tape. That's industry
    -wide policy and makes sense.

  4. On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:04:33 -0500, Mike Krueger wrote:

    > What is the advantage of aging tires for a year or more before riding them?

    It's old folklore, supposed to make the rubber harder, wear longer.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and _`\(,_ | Excellence. (_)/ (_) |

  5. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Subject: 8b.18 Tubular Fables From: Jobst Brandt <[email protected]>

    > Why is it better to deflate tubulars between rides or is this just a silly rumor?

    Yes and no. The "rumor" arises from a misunderstanding. Track tires, and these are most often still
    tubulars, are generally inflated to more than 10 bar and are dangerous if they were to explode. Good
    track tires, unlike road tires, are often made of silk with fine and thin strands that are not
    coated or otherwise protected.

    I have seen these tires get touched by another rider's pedal and explode, or even when carelessly
    laid on any angular object, they can burst because only breaking a few cords is enough to start a
    burst. For this reason track tires are best deflated to less than half their running pressure
    when not in use. I can still vividly hear the sound of a tire exploding in an indoor track
    although I heard it only a few times years ago. It is not something you would like to have happen
    in your car or room.

    The reasons people give for deflating tubulars are generally false and are given for lack of
    understanding. This is what makes it sound like an old wive's tale. Most people do it just to be
    doing what they think is "professional" when in fact the protected sidewalls and pressure of most
    road tubulars makes deflation as meaningless for them as it is for clinchers.

    > What advantage is there in aging tubulars?

    None! The aging concept arose from the same source as the "steel frames need to be replaced because
    they get soft with age" concept. Both were intended to improve sales during the off (winter) season
    by bike shops with too much inventory on their shelves. Tires oxidize, outgas, and polymerize from
    ultraviolet light. The concept of a tire manufacturer making a tire that cannot be used until
    ripened for six months from the date of purchase is ridiculous. Tires can be made to any
    specification at the factory. Tires are most flexible and durable when they are new. They don't
    improve with time and exposure to heat, light, and oxygen or ozone.

    "Over-aged" tubular tires, have crumbling hard brown latex on their sidewalls that exposes
    separating cords directly to weather and wear and they have treads that crack when flexed.
    Considering that this is a continuous process, it is hard to explain where, in the time from
    manufacture to the crumbly condition, the optimum age lies. The claim that tires are lighter after
    aging is true. Their elastomers have evaporated making the tire brittle and weak.

    Purchasing tubular tires in advance to age them is unwise, although if there is a supply problem,
    tubular tires bought in advance should be sealed tightly in airtight bags and kept in the dark,
    optimally in a freezer. For best results, use new tires because aged tires are only as good as how
    little they have aged.