Agree with Bobke..

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jaybee, Jul 2, 2005.

  1. Jaybee

    Jaybee Guest

    I was thinking the same as Bobke, when he commented that Lance might have just eased
    up enough to avoid the maillot jaune on the opening day. The radio contact they
    have certainly could have told him exactly how he stood with 100 meters to go, and
    he would have pulled out some extra if he wanted to.
    Now Discovery just rides on the backs of CSC until the TTT. Seems to me it was a
    strategy, not a loss for Discovery today.

    Tags:

  2. DepartFictif

    DepartFictif Guest

    Also with 100 meters to go, you can see the time boards. It did
    however look like LA might have held back a little before passing Jan,
    perhaps to make sure he passed him at a slightly higher rate... mind
    games?!

  3. Jet

    Jet Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:35:22 -0700, Jaybee <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I was thinking the same as Bobke, when he commented that Lance might have just eased
    >up enough to avoid the maillot jaune on the opening day. The radio contact they
    >have certainly could have told him exactly how he stood with 100 meters to go, and
    >he would have pulled out some extra if he wanted to.
    >Now Discovery just rides on the backs of CSC until the TTT. Seems to me it was a
    >strategy, not a loss for Discovery today.

    He was three seconds up on Z at 15K (16:46 vs Z's 16:49).

    I think if LA looked back and saw a pack of cuddly bunnies chasing him he
    could have pulled out 2.1 seconds in the last 200 yds.

    jj

  4. DepartFictif

  5. Jaybee <[email protected]> writes:
    > Now Discovery just rides on the backs of CSC until the TTT. Seems to
    > me it was a strategy, not a loss for Discovery today.

    Note that they'll (DSC) be leaving _before_ CSC to the TTT, which is
    not necessarily a good thing (for CSC). The last to leave has usually
    won the TTT too.

    Do they have the same timecut system in the TTT this year?

    MJ;

    --
    ..signature necesse est

  6. bikeguy11968

    bikeguy11968 Guest

    wah wah wah! i'm going to throw my helmet. I only got second. wah!

    Seems like team strategy was testing aero helmets crash worthiness. Big
    baby.

  7. bikeguy11968

    bikeguy11968 Guest

    wah wah wah! i'm going to throw my helmet. I only got second. wah!

    Seems like team strategy was testing aero helmets crash worthiness. Big
    baby.

  8. trg

    trg Guest

    "Jaybee" <[email protected]> a √©crit dans le message de news:
    [email protected]...
    |I was thinking the same as Bobke, when he commented that Lance might have
    just eased
    | up enough to avoid the maillot jaune on the opening day. The radio
    contact they
    | have certainly could have told him exactly how he stood with 100 meters to
    go, and
    | he would have pulled out some extra if he wanted to.
    | Now Discovery just rides on the backs of CSC until the TTT. Seems to me
    it was a
    | strategy, not a loss for Discovery today.

    I don't think so. DSC is 4 seconds behind the CSC. That means that unless
    there are some bonus seconds won on the second or third stage, CSC has the
    advantage of starting last. Those two seconds could make the difference.
    Starting the TTT last 'or at least after their main rivals) is something DSC
    definitely values and aims for. Besides, the sprinter teams will keep the
    breaks from going all the way the first few days, especially Quickstep,
    given Rogers poor start and Lefevre's displeasure with him.

    I wouldn't be surprised to see Hincapie or Chechu going for bonus sprints in
    the next stages. Ditto for Voigt (especially) and Julich. Might be a bit
    harder for Zabriskie or Lance to slip away unnoticed.

    Plus, with Voigt or Julich in a break CSC wouldn't have to do any work at
    all, even if the sprinter teams dithered about assuming their
    responsibilities.

  9. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Jaybee wrote:
    > I was thinking the same as Bobke, when he commented that Lance might
    > have just eased up enough to avoid the maillot jaune on the opening
    > day.

    Because LANCE didn't win he must have therefore eased up?

    Goddamn, this is gonna be a long month.

  10. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Kyle Legate <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Because LANCE didn't win he must have therefore eased up?

    > Goddamn, this is gonna be a long month.

    I had to leave before the final result to go ride to a
    race I was working at. I was in a pre-race meeting and
    someone got there late that had stayed home to watch
    the result. When he got there he announced that LANCE
    had finished second. He didn't mention who won.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email protected]

  11. gym.gravity

    gym.gravity Guest

    DepartFictif wrote:
    > Also with 100 meters to go, you can see the time boards. It did
    > however look like LA might have held back a little before passing Jan,
    > perhaps to make sure he passed him at a slightly higher rate... mind
    > games?!

    Yes.

    Random drug test? Yes.

  12. Bill C

    Bill C Guest

    Kyle Legate wrote:
    > Jaybee wrote:
    > > I was thinking the same as Bobke, when he commented that Lance might
    > > have just eased up enough to avoid the maillot jaune on the opening
    > > day.
    > >

    > Because LANCE didn't win he must have therefore eased up?
    >
    > Goddamn, this is gonna be a long month.

    C'mon Kyle Lance isn't stupid. With the radio in his ear it would've
    been stupid to win the prologue. I think Lance could've won it, but
    there's nothing good in it for him, or the team, so I'm betting that
    they made the decision to finish second. Now CSC is having to keep
    things together instead of Discovery.
    Bill C

  13. Jet

    Jet Guest

    On 3 Jul 2005 19:11:27 -0700, "Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Kyle Legate wrote:
    >> Jaybee wrote:
    >> > I was thinking the same as Bobke, when he commented that Lance might
    >> > have just eased up enough to avoid the maillot jaune on the opening
    >> > day.
    >> >

    >> Because LANCE didn't win he must have therefore eased up?
    >>
    >> Goddamn, this is gonna be a long month.

    > C'mon Kyle Lance isn't stupid. With the radio in his ear it would've
    >been stupid to win the prologue. I think Lance could've won it, but
    >there's nothing good in it for him, or the team, so I'm betting that
    >they made the decision to finish second. Now CSC is having to keep
    >things together instead of Discovery.
    >Bill C

    If you look at LA's face as he turns the corner with about 5-6 seconds to
    go he looks up, looks around and then without much expression, he goes over
    the line. At no time does he even attempt to start a sprint. Even though
    he's already going, ah, briskly, he'd be able to sprint if he thought he'd
    fail - didn't even try.

    So reports of throwing down his helmet notwithstanding, I just didn't see
    it. Maybe he wasn't paying attention? ;-)

    jj

  14. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Jet wrote:
    > On 3 Jul 2005 19:11:27 -0700, "Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > If you look at LA's face as he turns the corner with about 5-6 seconds to
    > go he looks up, looks around and then without much expression, he goes over
    > the line. At no time does he even attempt to start a sprint. Even though
    > he's already going, ah, briskly, he'd be able to sprint if he thought he'd
    > fail - didn't even try.

    Even if he wanted to, he couldn't make up 2 seconds in that amount of space.

    He has the kind of competitive arrogance that it must really have irked
    him that he fell 2 seconds shy of winning the first stage of his last
    tour. He didn't give it away.