Ah, Activity Points - skiing in Seattle (G)

Fred

Guest
Just getting dressed for a bit of classic cross-country skiing in the north end of Seattle.

There are about 4 inches of snow and it is 28F.

I'm hoping that on a grassy slope or two I may be able to do a few telemark turns (G)

... or you could come here and go skating. <g>

I was trying to be nice this morning, thought I would warm the vehicle up for dd before she headed
off to school. Got to the bottom of the front stairs and was greeted by solid ice ... everywhere.
Slowly made it to the car, thermometer inside said it was -3F (-19C). Well no wonder everything is
frozen solid! We reached a high of 5F this afternoon ... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I checked in with sonny
boy, he said it is -8F at his school. We both decided we are staying in where it's warm (somewhat).

Have a great time skiing!

Joyce

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:21:43 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just getting dressed for a bit of classic cross-country skiing in the north end of Seattle.
>
>There are about 4 inches of snow and it is 28F.
>
>I'm hoping that on a grassy slope or two I may be able to do a few telemark turns (G)

We got a little over 6 inches in Olympia!! No skiing for me though--I did go out and walk though so
I got some exercise!!!! Now it's freezing rain and boy are the roads bad here--I'm thinking my
vacation will be extended again one more day--I think I'm about ready to go back though!!!

--
Janice
263/252/150 (maybe 130)

> Just getting dressed for a bit of classic cross-country skiing in the north end of Seattle.
>
> There are about 4 inches of snow and it is 28F.
>
> I'm hoping that on a grassy slope or two I may be able to do a few telemark turns (G)

Greenlake? I miss it since I moved south.

Sandy

> Just getting dressed for a bit of classic cross-country skiing in the north end of Seattle.
>
> There are about 4 inches of snow and it is 28F.
>
> I'm hoping that on a grassy slope or two I may be able to do a few telemark turns (G)

Enjoy. I haven't gone X-country skiing since highschool. My skis are stored in the basement. Old
style where you have to burn on the wax.

> Just getting dressed for a bit of classic cross-country skiing in the north end of Seattle.
>
> There are about 4 inches of snow and it is 28F.
>
> I'm hoping that on a grassy slope or two I may be able to do a few telemark turns (G)

have a great time, Lee
Fred <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just getting dressed for a bit of classic cross-country skiing in the north end of Seattle.
>
> There are about 4 inches of snow and it is 28F.
>
> I'm hoping that on a grassy slope or two I may be able to do a few telemark turns (G)

Glad you have those temps and not me. I had enough over the weekend of MINUS.

I did have a great ski - I had not expected to ski again till next weekend in the mountains.

ROADS are now treacherous. As Janice notes, it is now freezing rain. I'm in for the night.......

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:40:33 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:

>... or you could come here and go skating. <g>
>
>I was trying to be nice this morning, thought I would warm the vehicle up for dd before she headed
>off to school. Got to the bottom of the front stairs and was greeted by solid ice ... everywhere.
>Slowly made it to the car, thermometer inside said it was -3F (-19C). Well no wonder everything is
>frozen solid! We reached a high of 5F this afternoon ... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I checked in with sonny
>boy, he said it is -8F at his school. We both decided we are staying in where it's warm (somewhat).
>
>Have a great time skiing!
>
>Joyce
>
>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:21:43 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Just getting dressed for a bit of classic cross-country skiing in the north end of Seattle.
>>
>>There are about 4 inches of snow and it is 28F.
>>
>>I'm hoping that on a grassy slope or two I may be able to do a few telemark turns (G)

You folks have all the luck - Gary Locke and 6 inches of snow (G)

Yes, the rain, freezing style is up in the vicinity, too. I-405 is GONE!!!!

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:43:20 GMT, "Janice Kennish" <[email protected]> wrote:

>We got a little over 6 inches in Olympia!! No skiing for me though--I did go out and walk though so
>I got some exercise!!!! Now it's freezing rain and boy are the roads bad here--I'm thinking my
>vacation will be extended again one more day--I think I'm about ready to go back though!!!

You got it - Greenlake and upper Woodland Park by the zoo. Tons of folks, walking, sledding,
snowboarding (not that many) and x-country skiing and the occasional bikie (bicycle rider - now
they are nuts
(G)). It is about 5 blocks away.

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 01:20:05 GMT, "Sandy W" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Greenlake? I miss it since I moved south.
>
>Sandy
>

>"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Just getting dressed for a bit of classic cross-country skiing in the north end of Seattle.
>>
>> There are about 4 inches of snow and it is 28F.
>>
>> I'm hoping that on a grassy slope or two I may be able to do a few telemark turns (G)

I still have a pair of "WOOD WAX" skis - my first pair. Yup, they need pine tar burned on.

But I still ski on mainly WAX based skis. The patterned waxless type are generally too slow for me
and noisy, too. But I do have one pair of waxless skis that I never liked - so they are my urban
adventure skis - so I hit a curb or two. Those are the ones I used today.

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 01:36:38 GMT, "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Enjoy. I haven't gone X-country skiing since highschool. My skis are stored in the basement. Old
>style where you have to burn on the wax.
>
>"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Just getting dressed for a bit of classic cross-country skiing in the north end of Seattle.
>>
>> There are about 4 inches of snow and it is 28F.
>>
>> I'm hoping that on a grassy slope or two I may be able to do a few telemark turns (G)

Hang in there, Joyce. You have one more day of bitter cold and then the temps start to rise again.

I'm not sure which is worse, these below zero temps and wind chills or the freezing torrents in the
Pacific Northwest. Believe it or not, I think I'll stay where I am. At least the roads are dry.

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:40:33 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:

>... or you could come here and go skating. <g>
>
>I was trying to be nice this morning, thought I would warm the vehicle up for dd before she headed
>off to school. Got to the bottom of the front stairs and was greeted by solid ice ... everywhere.
>Slowly made it to the car, thermometer inside said it was -3F (-19C). Well no wonder everything is
>frozen solid! We reached a high of 5F this afternoon ... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I checked in with sonny
>boy, he said it is -8F at his school. We both decided we are staying in where it's warm (somewhat).
>
>Have a great time skiing!
>
>Joyce
>
>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:21:43 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Just getting dressed for a bit of classic cross-country skiing in the north end of Seattle.
>>
>>There are about 4 inches of snow and it is 28F.
>>
>>I'm hoping that on a grassy slope or two I may be able to do a few telemark turns (G)

Prairie Roots
232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

please be careful, Lee
Janice Kennish <[email protected]> wrote in message
> We got a little over 6 inches in Olympia!! No skiing for me though--I did go out and walk though
> so I got some exercise!!!! Now it's freezing rain and boy are the roads bad here--I'm thinking my
> vacation will be extended again one more day--I think I'm about ready to go back though!!!
>
> --
> Janice
> 263/252/150 (maybe 130)
>

> "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Just getting dressed for a bit of classic cross-country skiing in the north end of Seattle.
> >
> > There are about 4 inches of snow and it is 28F.
> >
> > I'm hoping that on a grassy slope or two I may be able to do a few telemark turns (G)

We are lucky aren't we (I so can't wait to elect a new govenor!!)!!!

My husband said the roads are absolutely awful here today. Is 405 still closed--I know they closed
it last night?

--
Janice
263/252/150 (maybe 130)

> You folks have all the luck - Gary Locke and 6 inches of snow (G)
>
> Yes, the rain, freezing style is up in the vicinity, too. I-405 is GONE!!!!
>
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:43:20 GMT, "Janice Kennish" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >We got a little over 6 inches in Olympia!! No skiing for me though--I
did
> >go out and walk though so I got some exercise!!!! Now it's freezing rain and boy are the roads
> >bad here--I'm thinking my vacation will be extended again one more day--I think I'm about ready
> >to go back though!!!

I'm not going anywhere!!! I don't like driving in the snow so I just stay home--that's why I like
that school is cancelled--otherwise I'd have to find a way to work in this stuff!!!

--
Janice
263/252/150 (maybe 130)

"Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
> please be careful, Lee Janice Kennish <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > We got a little over 6 inches in Olympia!! No skiing for me though--I
did
> > go out and walk though so I got some exercise!!!! Now it's freezing
rain
> > and boy are the roads bad here--I'm thinking my vacation will be
extended
> > again one more day--I think I'm about ready to go back though!!!
> >
> > --
> > Janice
> > 263/252/150 (maybe 130)
> >

> > "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Just getting dressed for a bit of classic cross-country skiing in the north end of Seattle.
> > >
> > > There are about 4 inches of snow and it is 28F.
> > >
> > > I'm hoping that on a grassy slope or two I may be able to do a few telemark turns (G)

Yes, do be extra careful. My DH fell on the snow covered ice Friday morning and broke 2 ribs. He
will now be sleeping in his recliner for the next 4 to 6 weeks. He just can't up and down out of bed
- makes enough faces & grimaces just trying to get in and out of his chair.
--
Donna in Idaho! Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/ The
ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply

"Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
> please be careful, Lee Janice Kennish <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > We got a little over 6 inches in Olympia!! No skiing for me though--I
did
> > go out and walk though so I got some exercise!!!! Now it's freezing
rain
> > and boy are the roads bad here--I'm thinking my vacation will be
extended
> > again one more day--I think I'm about ready to go back though!!!
> >
> > --
> > Janice
> > 263/252/150 (maybe 130)
> >

> > "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Just getting dressed for a bit of classic cross-country skiing in the north end of Seattle.
> > >
> > > There are about 4 inches of snow and it is 28F.
> > >
> > > I'm hoping that on a grassy slope or two I may be able to do a few telemark turns (G)

Well, I did manage to get out today - to attend my CANCELLED WW meeting. I called the 800 number
twice and each time, including 1/2 hour before and told it was on. I drove up there through slush to
find it closed. Actually, it looked like the little shopping center it is located in had no power -
there are a lot of lines down due to the snow weighted down by the rain water on trees.

Driving was not great but nothing like yesterday.

34F and slushy everywhere.

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:40:00 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hang in there, Joyce. You have one more day of bitter cold and then the temps start to rise again.
>
>I'm not sure which is worse, these below zero temps and wind chills or the freezing torrents in the
>Pacific Northwest. Believe it or not, I think I'll stay where I am. At least the roads are dry.
>
>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:40:33 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>... or you could come here and go skating. <g>
>>
>>I was trying to be nice this morning, thought I would warm the vehicle up for dd before she headed
>>off to school. Got to the bottom of the front stairs and was greeted by solid ice ... everywhere.
>>Slowly made it to the car, thermometer inside said it was -3F (-19C). Well no wonder everything is
>>frozen solid! We reached a high of 5F this afternoon ... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I checked in with sonny
>>boy, he said it is -8F at his school. We both decided we are staying in where it's warm
>>(somewhat).
>>
>>Have a great time skiing!
>>
>>Joyce
>>
>>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:21:43 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Just getting dressed for a bit of classic cross-country skiing in the north end of Seattle.
>>>
>>>There are about 4 inches of snow and it is 28F.
>>>
>>>I'm hoping that on a grassy slope or two I may be able to do a few telemark turns (G)
>>>

>Prairie Roots
>232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

It doesn't take very long to get tired of those below zero temps ... maybe all of 1 minute. <G>
Glad you are staying in with those nasty road conditions. There is a lot to be said for using
common sense.

Joyce

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 19:07:06 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

>Glad you have those temps and not me. I had enough over the weekend of MINUS.
>
>I did have a great ski - I had not expected to ski again till next weekend in the mountains.
>
>ROADS are now treacherous. As Janice notes, it is now freezing rain. I'm in for the night.......
>
>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:40:33 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>... or you could come here and go skating. <g>
>>
>>I was trying to be nice this morning, thought I would warm the vehicle up for dd before she headed
>>off to school. Got to the bottom of the front stairs and was greeted by solid ice ... everywhere.
>>Slowly made it to the car, thermometer inside said it was -3F (-19C). Well no wonder everything is
>>frozen solid! We reached a high of 5F this afternoon ... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I checked in with sonny
>>boy, he said it is -8F at his school. We both decided we are staying in where it's warm
>>(somewhat).
>>
>>Have a great time skiing!
>>
>>Joyce
>>
>>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:21:43 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Just getting dressed for a bit of classic cross-country skiing in the north end of Seattle.
>>>
>>>There are about 4 inches of snow and it is 28F.
>>>
>>>I'm hoping that on a grassy slope or two I may be able to do a few telemark turns (G)

Today was a bit better, was 6 when I started the car for daughter this morning. I have no idea what
it finally got too - I hibernated today. <G> Hub has said he has heard forecasts of more snow, and
bitter temps again next week. Ahhhhhh, winter in the midwest. <G>

I agree, I'll take the colder temps over freezing rain anyday. With dry roads we can still bundle up
and get out if we HAVE to. I tend to get cabin fever quicker when I know I am stuck inside and it's
not MY choice.

Joyce

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:40:00 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hang in there, Joyce. You have one more day of bitter cold and then the temps start to rise again.
>
>I'm not sure which is worse, these below zero temps and wind chills or the freezing torrents in the
>Pacific Northwest. Believe it or not, I think I'll stay where I am. At least the roads are dry.
>
>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:40:33 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>... or you could come here and go skating. <g>
>>
>>I was trying to be nice this morning, thought I would warm the vehicle up for dd before she headed
>>off to school. Got to the bottom of the front stairs and was greeted by solid ice ... everywhere.
>>Slowly made it to the car, thermometer inside said it was -3F (-19C). Well no wonder everything is
>>frozen solid! We reached a high of 5F this afternoon ... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I checked in with sonny
>>boy, he said it is -8F at his school. We both decided we are staying in where it's warm
>>(somewhat).
>>
>>Have a great time skiing!
>>
>>Joyce
>>
>>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:21:43 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Just getting dressed for a bit of classic cross-country skiing in the north end of Seattle.
>>>
>>>There are about 4 inches of snow and it is 28F.
>>>
>>>I'm hoping that on a grassy slope or two I may be able to do a few telemark turns (G)
>>>

>Prairie Roots
>232/167/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

I believe 405 is open. I don't know what shape it is in. I-5 was fine from Greenlake to Northlake,
all of 3 miles (G)

A few local streets were slushy.

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 17:36:35 GMT, "Janice Kennish" <[email protected]> wrote:

>We are lucky aren't we (I so can't wait to elect a new govenor!!)!!!
>
>My husband said the roads are absolutely awful here today. Is 405 still closed--I know they closed
>it last night?

A power outage might also explain the absence of a message on the answering machine announcing the
cancellation. I'm gonna cast my vote for cold temps and dry roads over near-freezing temps and ic-
covered roads. I've spun out on a bridge in just those conditions, totalling my car. Thankfully, due
to seat belts, I walked away without a scrape or a bruise. But whenever I'm on roads that appear to
be the slightest bit icy, I head back home. If I want those kind of thrills, I can go on one of the
rides at the Mall of America.