Ah, I finally found "the greatest bike race photo"...

Remember I was asking about a certain very cool bike race photo last
spring? Then we broadened it to contenders for 'greatest bike pic' and
a few folks posted some pics.

Well, I found the photo I was looking for!

It was from a Miroir way back before the Net, way before color race
photography was available in the US---we only had the little B&W VN
tabloid. OK, we did have Winning finally, but it took a sub to Miroir
to get access to the GREAT Eurostyle race photos---where they used a
flash in the daytime. What a thought!

So here's a link to the pic that gave me inspiration back in the day,
of the early 1980's...

http://outyourbackdoor.com/Images/pic.bike.race.duclos.moser.jpg

(You're welcome.)

Oh, and photo credit and kudos to HENRI BESSON / Miroir.

Here's another supercool photo that I had on my shop wall back in those
years. I found it in the same old folder. More inspiration!

Now, both of these pics show why we resisted sunglasses (and helmets)
when they first came out. Yeah, and both are good arguments FOR them!
Still...what ya wanted was to see the whites of their eyes. Ya wanted
to SEE how your rivals were doing and you wanted to SHOW your own
dominance---or whatever card you wanted to play, or hide. It's like
poker. And this STUPID new TV poker where the morons are wearing
SUNGLASSES is as offensive as the thought of shades used to be in bike
racing. What's the point when you can't see their eyes? The eyes show
the suffering and the victory. Oh well, that was back then...

Here's a link to a pic of OUR king in his prime...

http://outyourbackdoor.com/Images/pic.sean.kelly.jpg

Now back to your regularly scheduled conservative racing... (ouch...no,
I don't really mean it...LA rocks! And so does
GEOOOORRRRRGGGGGIIIIIEEEE!!!!!)

--JP

[email protected] wrote in news:1121645671.634589.150870
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> So here's a link to the pic that gave me inspiration back in the day,
> of the early 1980's...
>
> http://outyourbackdoor.com/Images/pic.bike.race.duclos.moser.jpg
>
> (You're welcome.)

Thanks! That is a good one.

> Oh, and photo credit and kudos to HENRI BESSON / Miroir.
>
> Here's another supercool photo that I had on my shop wall back in those
> years. I found it in the same old folder. More inspiration!

Where? You forgot to put the link here.

NS

I hope those guys are racing to a barber.

Also, they'd definitely look even cooler if they were riding 'bents.

-RJ

On 17 Jul 2005 17:14:31 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Remember I was asking about a certain very cool bike race photo last
>spring? Then we broadened it to contenders for 'greatest bike pic' and
>a few folks posted some pics.
>
>Well, I found the photo I was looking for!
>
>It was from a Miroir way back before the Net, way before color race
>photography was available in the US---we only had the little B&W VN
>tabloid. OK, we did have Winning finally, but it took a sub to Miroir
>to get access to the GREAT Eurostyle race photos---where they used a
>flash in the daytime. What a thought!
>
>So here's a link to the pic that gave me inspiration back in the day,
>of the early 1980's...
>
>http://outyourbackdoor.com/Images/pic.bike.race.duclos.moser.jpg

New desktop. Replaces Pantani on Galibier (sp? etc.)

>(You're welcome.)

Thanks.

Ron

>Oh, and photo credit and kudos to HENRI BESSON / Miroir.
>
>Here's another supercool photo that I had on my shop wall back in those
>years. I found it in the same old folder. More inspiration!
>
>Now, both of these pics show why we resisted sunglasses (and helmets)
>when they first came out. Yeah, and both are good arguments FOR them!
>Still...what ya wanted was to see the whites of their eyes. Ya wanted
>to SEE how your rivals were doing and you wanted to SHOW your own
>dominance---or whatever card you wanted to play, or hide. It's like
>poker. And this STUPID new TV poker where the morons are wearing
>SUNGLASSES is as offensive as the thought of shades used to be in bike
>racing. What's the point when you can't see their eyes? The eyes show
>the suffering and the victory. Oh well, that was back then...
>
>Here's a link to a pic of OUR king in his prime...
>
>http://outyourbackdoor.com/Images/pic.sean.kelly.jpg
>
>Now back to your regularly scheduled conservative racing... (ouch...no,
>I don't really mean it...LA rocks! And so does
>GEOOOORRRRRGGGGGIIIIIEEEE!!!!!)
>
>--JP

"Those guys" --- good one. Well, I'll let you tell em. They're in their
fifties now, but I still bet on them...

And if anyone is off the front of PR I'd say they look cool enough even
if they're riding 3-speeds.

---JP

You're welcome!

Yeah, that clipping is going back on the shop wall where it belongs.
Never to be removed!

There are some pics of Hinault out there that are just about as fiesty,
though.

As always, more contenders in the "best ever bike race photo" category
are always welcome! Sure, it's kind of a silly contest---there are so
many brilliant photos. It's such a photogenic sport! The eyes are a big
part of great cycling. Just ask Lance.

--JP

PS: Here's another one of my all-time favorite images. But it's not the
best photo of that day, just the only one I could find. Anyone have a
link to a better version? Man, Greg really shows the maximum spirit and
Kelly shows the maximum deflation in that photo. It totally captures a
huge historic moment in cycling. Poor Sean, never won a World's... So
close! Anyone know of a good video showing the last couple km's of that
race? It was just awesome to watch. As Sean says in the Pez interview:
Greg was just astounding in that rainy, slippery finale. Sean is a
class act.

http://www.bikes.msu.edu/greatest_cyclists/lemond-screaming.gif

--JP

That's always been my all time favorite cycling photo... I have the video
that I recorded from TV at the time... If you're in the Sacramento area
you're welcome to come watch it... after the tour is over, of course.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> PS: Here's another one of my all-time favorite images. But it's not the
> best photo of that day, just the only one I could find. Anyone have a
> link to a better version? Man, Greg really shows the maximum spirit and
> Kelly shows the maximum deflation in that photo. It totally captures a
> huge historic moment in cycling. Poor Sean, never won a World's... So
> close! Anyone know of a good video showing the last couple km's of that
> race? It was just awesome to watch. As Sean says in the Pez interview:
> Greg was just astounding in that rainy, slippery finale. Sean is a
> class act.
>
> http://www.bikes.msu.edu/greatest_cyclists/lemond-screaming.gif
>
> --JP

How about digitizing it and putting it on the 'net? If you don't have a
digitizer, I do (and live in Sac).

KP

"Brian Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote:

> That's always been my all time favorite cycling photo... I have the video
> that I recorded from TV at the time... If you're in the Sacramento area
> you're welcome to come watch it... after the tour is over, of course.
>
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > PS: Here's another one of my all-time favorite images. But it's not the
> > best photo of that day, just the only one I could find. Anyone have a
> > link to a better version? Man, Greg really shows the maximum spirit and
> > Kelly shows the maximum deflation in that photo. It totally captures a
> > huge historic moment in cycling. Poor Sean, never won a World's... So
> > close! Anyone know of a good video showing the last couple km's of that
> > race? It was just awesome to watch. As Sean says in the Pez interview:
> > Greg was just astounding in that rainy, slippery finale. Sean is a
> > class act.
> >
> > http://www.bikes.msu.edu/greatest_cyclists/lemond-screaming.gif
> >
> > --JP

I taped it live off the TV as I was in Europe in '89 and was able to
watch/tape it.

It was so amazing. I was jumping around the room. It was especially
cool because so much happened in the last minute-plus. It was a long,
fast downhill run-in in the rain, of a couple km's, as I recall and
several moves were made that each seemed to be the winning ones but the
outcome kept changing due to even crazier moves. I'd never seen such a
finale before. Of course it's been so long since I've seen it...

But my tape is PAL format and I've never been able to watch it. It sits
and waits til I get a player that can handle it. Or pay to have it
converted. If I had a playable version I could digitize the last few
minutes myself and put it up on a server somehow. --JP

JeffOYB wrote:
> But my tape is PAL format and I've never been able to watch it. It sits
> and waits til I get a player that can handle it.

Don't you get dual format vcr's in the US ?

> I taped it live off the TV as I was in Europe in '89 and was able to
> watch/tape it.
>
> It was so amazing. I was jumping around the room. It was especially
> cool because so much happened in the last minute-plus. It was a long,
> fast downhill run-in in the rain, of a couple km's, as I recall and
> several moves were made that each seemed to be the winning ones but the
> outcome kept changing due to even crazier moves. I'd never seen such a
> finale before. Of course it's been so long since I've seen it...
>
> But my tape is PAL format and I've never been able to watch it. It sits
> and waits til I get a player that can handle it. Or pay to have it
> converted. If I had a playable version I could digitize the last few
> minutes myself and put it up on a server somehow. --JP

Many camera stores offer services to convert film and odd-format tapes
to DVD.

Ken P.

I also have another tape I need to convert. They want $20 per
conversion. I'm just not quite flush enough to pop for em.

As regards the other query, my VCR is old and half burned-out, so when
it quits entirely I might be able to watch my PALs on the new player I
get.