ah, the country life....OT

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Lass Chance_2, Sep 4, 2005.

  1. Some time in the middle of the night, my dogs went nuts--barking and
    growling at the head of the bed. I awoke, naturally, feeling little
    Lo-Jack (Jack Russel terrier) trembling with adrenaline beside me,
    intent on something behind the low headboard.

    My fist thought was, "I bet there's a snake....."

    I leapt up and turned on the light.....and saw a possum, dead as a
    doornail, not two feet from my sleeping head.

    Sunny, my boxer was barking and growling, too, as was Butch, but neither
    of the big dogs seemed inclined to to leave the safety of the bed to
    investigate....but it was all I could do to hold LoJack back. he was
    going after the possum, which was every bit as big as himself. I lifted
    Lo off the bed to prevent him from leaping for the dead animal, figuring
    for the possum to come inside my house....being "Dog Days", there was a
    good chance the thing was rabid.... and carrying LoJack in my arms, I
    found my shoe.....poked the possum with it to make sure it was really as
    dead as he appeared to be.

    Sure enough, he was stiff as a board, his nasty sharp teeth bared in a
    death grin...
    His beady little eyes were open and glazed....his tongue lolled from
    between rows of needle sharp teeth.

    So, not wanting to touch the damn thing, I tossed a tee-shirt over him
    and lifted him up by the tail, where he hung imply and surprisingly
    heavy, I'd say maybe eight pounds..... tossed the corpse into my waste
    basket and went upstairs for a garbage bag. I dumped the body into the
    hefty bag, carried it outside my fence and left it on the ground to be
    disposed of this morning.

    Only.....this morning, there was NO possum in the bag.

    LOL....man....that sucker LOOKED dead.

    Ive heard of them "playing possum" to fool dogs....but evidently, the
    dogs weren't fooled. I sure was, though.

    I cant believe my brave little LoJack was willing to go after it. I know
    if I had not held him back, he would have gone for the possum. He was
    vibrating, snarling like Ive never seen him do before,

    LOL. Jack Russel's are game little dogs, tough and fearless. But the
    possum was as big, almost, as him and with those nasty teeth...I dunno.
    Could have been a bad day for LoJack. Or, could have been a very bad day
    for the possum....I'll never know.

    Anyway....if you ever happen upon a dead possum.....don't be so sure.
    They may not be real smart, but they have ONE very impressive skill.

    LassChance

    Tags:

  2. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    cool

    -but, how does a possum get into your house?

    "Lass Chance_2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Some time in the middle of the night, my dogs went nuts--barking and
    > growling at the head of the bed. I awoke, naturally, feeling little
    > Lo-Jack (Jack Russel terrier) trembling with adrenaline beside me,
    > intent on something behind the low headboard.
    >
    > My fist thought was, "I bet there's a snake....."
    >
    > I leapt up and turned on the light.....and saw a possum, dead as a
    > doornail, not two feet from my sleeping head.
    >
    > Sunny, my boxer was barking and growling, too, as was Butch, but neither
    > of the big dogs seemed inclined to to leave the safety of the bed to
    > investigate....but it was all I could do to hold LoJack back. he was
    > going after the possum, which was every bit as big as himself. I lifted
    > Lo off the bed to prevent him from leaping for the dead animal, figuring
    > for the possum to come inside my house....being "Dog Days", there was a
    > good chance the thing was rabid.... and carrying LoJack in my arms, I
    > found my shoe.....poked the possum with it to make sure it was really as
    > dead as he appeared to be.
    >
    > Sure enough, he was stiff as a board, his nasty sharp teeth bared in a
    > death grin...
    > His beady little eyes were open and glazed....his tongue lolled from
    > between rows of needle sharp teeth.
    >
    > So, not wanting to touch the damn thing, I tossed a tee-shirt over him
    > and lifted him up by the tail, where he hung imply and surprisingly
    > heavy, I'd say maybe eight pounds..... tossed the corpse into my waste
    > basket and went upstairs for a garbage bag. I dumped the body into the
    > hefty bag, carried it outside my fence and left it on the ground to be
    > disposed of this morning.
    >
    > Only.....this morning, there was NO possum in the bag.
    >
    > LOL....man....that sucker LOOKED dead.
    >
    > Ive heard of them "playing possum" to fool dogs....but evidently, the
    > dogs weren't fooled. I sure was, though.
    >
    > I cant believe my brave little LoJack was willing to go after it. I know
    > if I had not held him back, he would have gone for the possum. He was
    > vibrating, snarling like Ive never seen him do before,
    >
    > LOL. Jack Russel's are game little dogs, tough and fearless. But the
    > possum was as big, almost, as him and with those nasty teeth...I dunno.
    > Could have been a bad day for LoJack. Or, could have been a very bad day
    > for the possum....I'll never know.
    >
    > Anyway....if you ever happen upon a dead possum.....don't be so sure.
    > They may not be real smart, but they have ONE very impressive skill.
    >
    > LassChance

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Lass Chance_2) wrote:

    > Some time in the middle of the night, my dogs went nuts--barking and
    > growling at the head of the bed. I awoke, naturally, feeling little
    > Lo-Jack (Jack Russel terrier) trembling with adrenaline beside me,
    > intent on something behind the low headboard.
    >
    > My fist thought was, "I bet there's a snake....."
    >
    > I leapt up and turned on the light.....and saw a possum, dead as a
    > doornail, not two feet from my sleeping head.
    >
    > Sunny, my boxer was barking and growling, too, as was Butch, but neither
    > of the big dogs seemed inclined to to leave the safety of the bed to
    > investigate....but it was all I could do to hold LoJack back. he was
    > going after the possum, which was every bit as big as himself. I lifted
    > Lo off the bed to prevent him from leaping for the dead animal, figuring
    > for the possum to come inside my house....being "Dog Days", there was a
    > good chance the thing was rabid.... and carrying LoJack in my arms, I
    > found my shoe.....poked the possum with it to make sure it was really as
    > dead as he appeared to be.
    >
    > Sure enough, he was stiff as a board, his nasty sharp teeth bared in a
    > death grin...
    > His beady little eyes were open and glazed....his tongue lolled from
    > between rows of needle sharp teeth.
    >
    > So, not wanting to touch the damn thing, I tossed a tee-shirt over him
    > and lifted him up by the tail, where he hung imply and surprisingly
    > heavy, I'd say maybe eight pounds..... tossed the corpse into my waste
    > basket and went upstairs for a garbage bag. I dumped the body into the
    > hefty bag, carried it outside my fence and left it on the ground to be
    > disposed of this morning.
    >
    > Only.....this morning, there was NO possum in the bag.
    >
    > LOL....man....that sucker LOOKED dead.
    >
    > Ive heard of them "playing possum" to fool dogs....but evidently, the
    > dogs weren't fooled. I sure was, though.
    >
    > I cant believe my brave little LoJack was willing to go after it. I know
    > if I had not held him back, he would have gone for the possum. He was
    > vibrating, snarling like Ive never seen him do before,
    >
    > LOL. Jack Russel's are game little dogs, tough and fearless. But the
    > possum was as big, almost, as him and with those nasty teeth...I dunno.
    > Could have been a bad day for LoJack. Or, could have been a very bad day
    > for the possum....I'll never know.
    >
    > Anyway....if you ever happen upon a dead possum.....don't be so sure.
    > They may not be real smart, but they have ONE very impressive skill.

    Great story! How do you suppose it got into your house?

    Priscilla
    --
    "Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
    the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong

  4. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    Priscilla Ballou wrote:

    > Great story! How do you suppose it got into your house?
    >
    > Priscilla

    My question, too. I have my house so sealed up against possible rodent
    visitors, from the dryer vent to the gas, electric and water service
    inlets to the chimney cap.

    Susan

  5. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    that's some funny sh*t.....

    Lass Chance_2 <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> Some time in the middle of the night, my dogs went nuts--barking and
    :> growling at the head of the bed. I awoke, naturally, feeling little
    :> Lo-Jack (Jack Russel terrier) trembling with adrenaline beside me,
    :> intent on something behind the low headboard.
    :>
[...]

  6. None Given

    None Given Guest

    "Lass Chance_2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > LOL....man....that sucker LOOKED dead.
    >
    > Ive heard of them "playing possum" to fool dogs....but evidently, the
    > dogs weren't fooled. I sure was, though.

    There is a reason they call it 'playing' possum.;^)

    --
    No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

  7. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    Lass Chance_2 wrote:
    || Some time in the middle of the night, my dogs went nuts--barking and
    || growling at the head of the bed. I awoke, naturally, feeling little
    || Lo-Jack (Jack Russel terrier) trembling with adrenaline beside me,
    || intent on something behind the low headboard.
    || My fist thought was, "I bet there's a snake....."
    || I leapt up and turned on the light.....and saw a possum, dead as a
    || doornail, not two feet from my sleeping head.
    || Sunny, my boxer was barking and growling, too, as was Butch, but
    || neither of the big dogs seemed inclined to to leave the safety of
    || the bed to investigate....but it was all I could do to hold LoJack
    || back. he was going after the possum, which was every bit as big as
    || himself. I lifted Lo off the bed to prevent him from leaping for the
    || dead animal, figuring for the possum to come inside my
    || house....being "Dog Days", there was a good chance the thing was
    || rabid.... and carrying LoJack in my arms, I found my shoe.....poked
    || the possum with it to make sure it was really as dead as he appeared
    || to be.
    || Sure enough, he was stiff as a board, his nasty sharp teeth bared in
    || a death grin...
    || His beady little eyes were open and glazed....his tongue lolled from
    || between rows of needle sharp teeth.
    || So, not wanting to touch the damn thing, I tossed a tee-shirt over
    || him and lifted him up by the tail, where he hung imply and
    || surprisingly heavy, I'd say maybe eight pounds..... tossed the
    || corpse into my waste basket and went upstairs for a garbage bag. I
    || dumped the body into the hefty bag, carried it outside my fence and
    || left it on the ground to be disposed of this morning.
    || Only.....this morning, there was NO possum in the bag.
    || LOL....man....that sucker LOOKED dead.
    || Ive heard of them "playing possum" to fool dogs....but evidently, the
    || dogs weren't fooled. I sure was, though.
    || I cant believe my brave little LoJack was willing to go after it. I
    || know if I had not held him back, he would have gone for the possum.
    || He was vibrating, snarling like Ive never seen him do before,
    || LOL. Jack Russel's are game little dogs, tough and fearless. But the
    || possum was as big, almost, as him and with those nasty teeth...I
    || dunno. Could have been a bad day for LoJack. Or, could have been a
    || very bad day for the possum....I'll never know.
    || Anyway....if you ever happen upon a dead possum.....don't be so sure.
    || They may not be real smart, but they have ONE very impressive skill.
    || LassChance

    Great story. It reminded me of a few years ago when I was renting an
    apartment in a country house in Mt. Holly, NC; my landlady lived in the
    other downstairs apartment. He cats found a baby possum under her kitchen
    sink that also appeared to be dead, but she wasn't fooled. Incredibly, she
    kept it as a pet for several months. She would hold it in her arms like a
    baby and feed it powdered milk from a baby bottle. Eventually it ate
    scrambled eggs and then Purina Cat Chow! It would burrow down in Sharon's
    shirt to keep warm and never, ever hurt her. It took up residence under her
    kitchen sink (it would hang from the pipes by its tail!) and it would come
    out to eat and to snuggle. I swear that Possum thuoght Sharon was its
    mommy!

    Then one day it was just .. gone! It disappeared as mysteriously as it had
    appeared. and we always wondered what happened to it. I had never before
    heard of a domesticated possum, but after seeing it I found other instances
    on the internet of this happening. You'd have to see it to believe it!
    --
    Peter
    Website: http://users.thelink.net/marengo

  8. On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 03:46:19 -0400, "Marengo" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I had never before
    >heard of a domesticated possum, but after seeing it I found other instances
    >on the internet of this happening. You'd have to see it to believe it!
    >--

    I'd believe it, Peter.

    My late father was a park ranger. So when one of my sister's friends
    found an orphaned baby ring-tail (native Australian) possum, she
    turned it over to us to raise as the best possible carers. We didn't
    actually *have* WIRES certification (wildlife rescue service) but then
    again there weren't many in our area who did and it was deemed best to
    keep him in the area.

    Young Poss was a huge source of fun for all the family for about 6
    months. We had to be careful not to get him too used to easily-placed
    food-stuffs or non-native things, so we did a lot of setting him
    'hunting practise' to ferret out hidden eucalypt leaves, gum-blossoms
    and young gum-nuts, supplemented by the occasional rose petal or slice
    of apple. As he got older, we would let him find his own meals on the
    trees in our yard.

    Eventually, Dad took him deep into the bushland that was his 'patch'
    and set him free. I like to think of him having a little family of
    his own, out in native plants and well away from the roads that had
    caused his mother's death.

    Aramanth

  9. LOL, oh it could have gotten in from either the upstairs doggy door or
    the downstairs foggy door.

    My cat brings in all kinds of wild critters (not this posum, tho---it
    was bigger than her!) She brings in mice, moles, birds, baby squirels,
    frogs, snakes....and clever cat that she is, she carries them in to the
    bath tub and let's them go! She knows, somehow, that they cant escape
    the slippery sides of the tub.....and many a morning in the spring and
    summer I wake to fine some poor terrified (but usually unharmed) animal
    in my tub. I ve saved dozens, LOL.

    I expect the possum just strolled right in thru either doggy door....

    Looking back on it I now realize how STOOOOPID I was. I mean, IF the
    possum HAD really been dead, the dogs would have noticed it when we all
    went to bed....not suddenly jumping up from their slep, obviously having
    either smelled, heard or seen it....DUH! And here's me, the ostensible
    "intelligent" human, picking up a live and potentially dangerous animal
    by the tail! Good grief....the tee-shirt I threw over it was just so I
    wouldnt have to touch the tail with my bare hand....not a thought did I
    give to the possibility it was NOT dead...and might turn, grab my hand
    and bite the crap out of it.....leading to....oh, probably having to
    have a series of anti-rabies shots....not to mention whatever damage to
    my hand.....

    At the VERY least, I should have put on a heavy gardening
    glove....although even my gloves probably arent thick enough to prevent
    a half inch long tooth from piercing thru.....sheesh, I was LUCKY, cuz I
    sure as hell was NOT smart!
    I keep imagining....there I was, holding this big possum by the tail,
    walking across myy room to the trash can.....thinking I was holding a
    DEAD animal.....and if suddenly it had coe to "life", grabbed my hand
    and started biting.....well, Id have probably died on the spot of heart
    failure, LOL....which is probably better, come to think of it, than
    having to take those anti-rabies shots......

    I WILL NEVER believe a possum is dead again ubnless I SEE it's squished
    or something. Good grief. So much for the "superior intelligence" of
    humans....I was fooled by a marsupial, for god's sake.

    DUH all over me.

    Lass

  10. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    I wonder if all of the opossums I see in the streets around here are dead or
    faking....I've always thought of them as the definition of road kill :)

    You had better get a long pole with a noose on the end....

[...]

  11. Peter---NO KIDDING??? That's so cool!
    They are kind of cute when they're babies....I might try to raise one as
    a pet, too, if I found a baby. Their fur is quite beautiful....it's
    their tails and beady little eyes.....and those teeth!

    My son and I found a young mongoose in St. Croix and tried to tame
    it....no luck.

    That mongoose would sit in the back coner of the cage staring into my
    eyes, unblinking....as I'd SLOWLY open the cage door, singing softly,
    soothingly.....and the second I got the door open enough to put food or
    water in----BAM! That sucker wouold be RIGHT in my face....

    Ive never seen anything move so fast. A cat, for instance, signals
    his moves....you can SEE a cat gather himself up, become tense, and you
    KNOW in advance he's gonna pounce.

    NOT true oe the mongoose! They are SO fast that your eye cannot
    register ANY movement AT ALL until after they're already in your
    face.... We kept "Ricki" long enough for me to try twice to feed
    him....that was enough to tell me he was NEVER likely to just LET me
    open his cage and reach in there....and my nerves wernt up to trying.
    So, I just left the cage open one night and he was gone in the morning.

    Ive heard that IF you get a mongoos so young his eyes are still closed
    and bottle feed, sometimnes you CAN tame one....but ours was already
    three or four months old----too wild and TOO FAST to try to keep.

    LOL., my OTHER possum story.....

    Several years ago, In Atlanta, on Thanbksgiving Day, I opened my broiler
    to light the oven, to put the turkey in....and there in the broiler was
    a HUGE possum! All I could see was it's enormous BUTT, with it's LONG
    tail curled around it. I SAW the tail move....so I quickly slammed the
    broiler shut and sat down to think how the hell I was gonna get a
    monstrous-huge possum OUT of my oven......

    I called my best friend and told her the story. She said NOT to even
    TRY to get him out...a possum that big could be truly
    dangerous.......and to call the County Extension Service....which I
    did...who refered me to the right number to call for "wild animals in
    the home".

    So, they sent out this young, small woman armed with a long pole and
    noose to retrieve this HUGE possum.

    I was desperately afraid for her....I thought a minimum of a 220 lb six
    foot tall man should do this job......LOL.

    She said not to worry.....and opened the broiler drawer and in about two
    seconds, had the possum out, dangling unharmed from the noose at the end
    of the pole.

    I was never so mortified in my life. The possum I had seen (for the
    second it took to slam that drawer closed) as HUGE was maybe two mohnths
    old....as tiny as a kitten and about as harmless.

    The baby was taken to the park and let go....not harmed. I kept
    apologising and saying, "I dont understand! It was HUGE!"

    At least now I understand why "eye witness" accounts arent always
    reliable. Fear....makes you see things that arent there, it seems, or at
    least magnify all out of porportion what IS there.....

    The cool part was, inside the oven was a neat little pile of Iam's cat
    food. Evidentaly, he wandered in, found a way into the oven from the
    back....had a nice little stash of food handy, from the cat's
    dish....and had built a nice warm, snug home in my rarely used oven.

    That's one Thanksgiving I wont likely forget.

    Lass

[...]

  12. Aramanth! How lovely!

    what a lucky little guy to have you to raise him RIGHT---teaching him to
    be independent so he could survive on his own---very smart.

    Lass

    Re: ah, the country life....OT

    Group: alt.support.diet.low-carb Date: Mon, Sep 5, 2005, 5:32pm
    (EDT+13:30) From: [email protected] (Aramanth Dawe)
    wrote:
[...]

  13. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    Roger Zoul wrote:
    || I wonder if all of the opossums I see in the streets around here are
    || dead or faking....I've always thought of them as the definition of
    || road kill :)

    My friend in Texas says that they often see dead armadillos in the roads.
    The refer to them as "possum on the half-shell"
    <g>

    --
    Peter
    Website: http://users.thelink.net/marengo

  14. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    :> Roger Zoul wrote:
    :> || I wonder if all of the opossums I see in the streets around here
    :> || are dead or faking....I've always thought of them as the
    :> || definition of road kill :)
    :> ||
    :>
    :> My friend in Texas says that they often see dead armadillos in the
    :> roads. The refer to them as "possum on the half-shell"
    :> <g>
    :>

    yum.... viddles!

  15. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    Roger Zoul wrote:
    > I wonder if all of the opossums I see in the streets around here are dead or
    > faking....I've always thought of them as the definition of road kill :)

    I know, I was shocked the first time I saw a *live* possum.

    Joke: "Why'd the chicken cross the road?"

    (scroll down for answer)

    To show the possum it could be done. :)

  16. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    Roger Zoul wrote:
    > Marengo <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :> Roger Zoul wrote:
    > :> || I wonder if all of the opossums I see in the streets around here
    > :> || are dead or faking....I've always thought of them as the
    > :> || definition of road kill :)
    > :> ||
    > :>
    > :> My friend in Texas says that they often see dead armadillos in the
    > :> roads. The refer to them as "possum on the half-shell"
    > :> <g>
    > :>
    >
    > yum.... viddles!

    Ecch, what my DH charmingly refers to as Road Pizza.

    Susan

  17. There's a good first step.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Lass Chance_2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Looking back on it I now realize how STOOOOPID I was.

  18. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    Roger Zoul wrote:
    || yum.... viddles!

    Oddly, it's spelled "victuals!"

    --
    Peter
    Website: http://users.thelink.net/marengo

  19. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    :> |||| Roger Zoul wrote:
    :> |||||| I wonder if all of the opossums I see in the streets around
    :> |||||| here are dead or faking....I've always thought of them as the
    :> |||||| definition of road kill :)
    :> ||||||
    :> ||||
    :> |||| My friend in Texas says that they often see dead armadillos in
    :> |||| the roads. The refer to them as "possum on the half-shell"
    :> |||| <g>
    :> ||||
    :> ||
    :> || yum.... viddles!
    :>
    :> Oddly, it's spelled "victuals!"

    Interesting....I wondered if I had the spelling right! Hard to imagine that
    that's was granny was saying :)

  20. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    :)