ahead stems

rids666

Jul 3, 2004
Hi all,
Can all ahead stems be flipped. I've seen a stem that i'm after that has a 80deg angle which would go down right? if it could be flipped then that would give a 100deg rise?
i need to raise the bars but it doesn't say in the description whether it can be flipped or not.

Cheers in advance

Allan

rids666 said:
Hi all,
Can all ahead stems be flipped. I've seen a stem that i'm after that has a 80deg angle which would go down right? if it could be flipped then that would give a 100deg rise?
i need to raise the bars but it doesn't say in the description whether it can be flipped or not.

Cheers in advance

Allan
Yup. Just make sure you have enough front brake cable for the higher rise. Also, flipping it up will bring the bars more rearward so you may need to take that into account (possibly slide the saddle back a bit). Be advised, it's not just a matter of flipping the stem, you need to reset the tension on your headset. If you're not sure of the procedure, check out www.parktool.com.

capwater said:
...flipping it up will bring the bars more rearward so you may need to take that into account ...
The following is a link to a MS Excel file that is sometimes useful for looking at the side-by-side changes in true reach and rise with varying stem angles and lengths:

http://www.hammerheadbikes.com/docs/stemcalculator.xls

(Note that you would enter -10 deg and 10 deg for the angles you have listed as 80 and 100 deg)