aheadset with a tall total stack height

threaded

Jul 6, 2006
I'm looking for an aheadset suitable for an MTB with a bigger than 38mm total stack height.

No, spacers do not fit the bill here.

threaded said:
I'm looking for an aheadset suitable for an MTB with a bigger than 38mm total stack height.

No, spacers do not fit the bill here.
Have you considered EITHER a handlebar OR stem which has more rise ... OR, both?

OR, is your choice limited by a cosmetic considerations?!?

Thanks, but no, and no.

The problem here is the suspension fork is a parallelogram arrangement, so there is a minimum and a maximum headtube + aheadset stack height.

I'm looking for the tallest aheadset, no other solution will fit the bill here.

threaded said:
Thanks, but no, and no.

The problem here is the suspension fork is a parallelogram arrangement, so there is a minimum and a maximum headtube + aheadset stack height.

I'm looking for the tallest aheadset, no other solution will fit the bill here.
Okay, but ...

Honestly, what you are saying doesn't make sense ... so, good luck with your search ...

BTW. Not-for-nothin', but I presume the COSMETICS are the current issue for you since the effective FIT for the rider will be the same if you use a handlebar with a higher rise.

So, the ONLY alternative that will work for you instead of a handlebar highER rise or a high rise stem (which will result in the SAME net effect UNLESS you are using the bars with the highest commonly available rise, now) is to buy a larger frame ...

OR, get some BMX handlebars & use what I presume you would deem to be a cosmetically inferior 25.4 stem ... which I presume is also not viable because you want your bike to have a certain appearance!?!

Nothing to do with cosmetics, straight out engineering.

The fork is a parallelogram arrangement, I need an aheadset > 37 and < 52 mm, so 38 mm or more and the rest I can fill with spacers.

So, I am looking for an aheadset with the tallest total stack-height.

Anyone know of such a beasty: a tall aheadset.

threaded said:
Nothing to do with cosmetics, straight out engineering.

The fork is a parallelogram arrangement, I need an aheadset > 37 and < 52 mm, so 38 mm or more and the rest I can fill with spacers.

So, I am looking for an aheadset with the tallest total stack-height.

Anyone know of such a beasty: a tall aheadset.
Okay ... although I can't envision why your fork can't use spacers with a "regular" height headset ...

The CANE CREEK SOLOS headset has a combined stack of 38.8mm:

alfeng said:
Okay ... although I can't envision why your fork can't use spacers with a "regular" height headset ...

The CANE CREEK SOLOS headset has a combined stack of 38.8mm:
Thanks for that. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Reason is because the forks attach to both the top and the bottom of the steerer, through a parallelogram arrangement, and if the gap is too small, in use, there can be too much pressure in the middle of the steerer tube.

Anyone know of any taller ones?

Can one mix and match aheadsets? For instance, if I found one with a big bottom end, and another with a big top end, I can't see why I can't mix and match...?

threaded said:
Can one mix and match aheadsets? For instance, if I found one with a big bottom end, and another with a big top end, I can't see why I can't mix and match...?
I don't know of anyone who has ever done it, but I can't see why you would have a problem with it.

threaded said:
I'm not sure if you actually want a taller bottom cup (which probably wouldn't be significantly taller beyond 2.0mm, if that much) because of your apparent geometry concerns; otherwise, I also don't see any reason why you couldn't mix-and-match.

You can some ADD height to the headtube with a Serotta headtube extension sleeve (I don't know the actual product's "name") ... it may only add about 1cm, perhaps more ... it is/was expensive (or, so it seemed to me -- more than $50US at the time) because my recollection is that it was turned from a Ti billet.

I have a parafork and you can just use spacers. So long as the total stack height is 161mm including head tube.