ahh, chain tension

fastrnb

Apr 18, 2010
I've been loving my Fuji conversion, but I've noticed I need to up my chain tension almost every two weeks, no matter how hard I crank down the wheel. Maybe it's me being paranoid since it's my only braking these days (my brake broke and so am I ), but it seems like I keep getting a little more chain flex than I'd like a little too often.
How often do you guys need do adjust?

Are you using a chain tensioner?

That is, does your frame have "vertical" droputs?

Pretty much horizontal drops, no chain tensioner, the wheel seems to "wiggle" forward over time.

fastrnb said:
Pretty much horizontal drops, no chain tensioner, the wheel seems to "wiggle" forward over time.
You probably need different skewers OR you need to switch to a solid axle + nuts.

Basically, if your skewer has alloy "teeth" on the contact surface, then it will never hold.

Shimano probably makes the best QR skewers ... the least expensive Shimano skewer is as good as their most expensive. Since almost all Shimano hubs come with skewers, if you don't have an older skewer with steel "teeth" on the contact surface, then you should buy the cheapest Shimano rear hub that you can find -- probably, ACERA.

Campagnolo skewers are very good, but generally very expensive.

Any older, ALL STEEL skewer will probably work, too ...

The better Titanium skewers had a steel cap on the rear skewer.