Ahhh ... new cables and other random thoughts

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Craig Brossman, Apr 11, 2003.

  1. Before yesterday's ride, a short one in Horse Gulch, up Telegraph, down Ansazi, out Mike's and back
    the Meadow, I replaced the shifter cables and housing on my bike. I was slow, recovering from a long
    road ride the day before (yeah I know, road ... hell ... paved) but my shifting was so, so sweet.
    Gone are the sh*tty Avid cables and rollamajig (I really thought it helped, I think I was wrong),
    gone are the missed and noisy shifts, just nice new friction free shifting, or as close to friction
    free as I've been for a while. What a nice change, to celebrate I went and bought a new pump because
    I discovered my old one, probably 6-8 years old, has just plain quit working. The new one should get
    me back on the bike with better pressure sooner than ever.

    I was so excited I decided to watch my from Marzocchi in action as I rode. Avoid this, it is working
    whether you watch it or not. I like cuts and scrapes as much as the next guy, but there are better
    ways to get them.

    I've already responded to Mrs. V. (Teri) about my social and pleasant interactions with the hikers I
    saw. I can honestly say that I have never had any other kind of interaction with hiker, horse person
    or other biker in the 10+ years I've been on the trails. I think it is just like riding, you go
    where you look, if you look for bad, that is all you'll find. (Sorry, I'm not usually that deep, but
    I've found this analogy very useful lately). Remember, we all have a responsibility to promote our
    sport as we wish it to be seen.

    Buy shoes that fit. My new road shoes are painful after 20 miles, which means that lately I have 30
    more miles of pain. I don't know how you do this, but my LBS says they will sell me a pair and if
    they suck, let me try a different pair. Sometimes, the extra money at the LBS is worth it.

    Earth day is coming up, on Saturday the 19th is Trails 2000's first trail maintenance session of the
    year. I don't expect to see you all there, but if you can make it, (or your local trails group) you
    should try. It really is enjoyable, your helping our cause and the trails and meeting like minded
    people. I may not make it myself, but I will make several this year, I promise.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

    Tags:

  2. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | Before yesterday's ride, a short one in Horse Gulch, up Telegraph, down Ansazi, out Mike's and
    | back the Meadow, I replaced the shifter cables and housing on my bike. I was slow, recovering from
    | a long road ride the day before (yeah I know, road ... hell ... paved) but my shifting was so, so
    | sweet. Gone are the sh*tty Avid cables and rollamajig (I really thought it
    helped,
    | I think I was wrong), gone are the missed and noisy shifts, just nice new friction free shifting,
    | or as close to friction free as I've been for a while. What a nice change, to celebrate I went and
    | bought a new pump because I discovered my old one, probably 6-8 years old, has just plain quit
    working.
    | The new one should get me back on the bike with better pressure sooner
    than
    | ever.
    |
    | I was so excited I decided to watch my from Marzocchi in action as I rode. Avoid this, it is
    | working whether you watch it or not. I like cuts and scrapes as much as the next guy, but there
    | are better ways to get them.
    |
    | I've already responded to Mrs. V. (Teri) about my social and pleasant interactions with the hikers
    | I saw. I can honestly say that I have never had any other kind of interaction with hiker, horse
    | person or other biker
    in
    | the 10+ years I've been on the trails. I think it is just like riding, you go where you look, if
    | you look for bad, that is all you'll find. (Sorry,
    I'm
    | not usually that deep, but I've found this analogy very useful lately). Remember, we all have a
    | responsibility to promote our sport as we wish it
    | be seen.
    |
    | Buy shoes that fit. My new road shoes are painful after 20 miles, which means that lately I have
    | 30 more miles of pain. I don't know how you do this, but my LBS says they will sell me a pair and
    | if they suck, let me
    try
    | a different pair. Sometimes, the extra money at the LBS is worth it.
    |
    | Earth day is coming up, on Saturday the 19th is Trails 2000's first trail maintenance session of
    | the year. I don't expect to see you all there, but
    if
    | you can make it, (or your local trails group) you should try. It really is enjoyable, your helping
    | our cause and the trails and meeting like minded people. I may not make it myself, but I will make
    | several this year, I promise.
    | --
    | Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

    I can believe you wholeheartedly about those Avid cables. IMHO, the only worthwhile part out of the
    whole system is the carbon cable housing, and you can get that from a bunch of other sources now a
    lot cheaper without having to throw out the crappy cables.

    After trying all sorts of cables, I still come back to the Shimano stainless steel cables (the black
    Teflon XTR sort) and plain, clean housings with normal ferrules - all replaced when they get too
    gunked up.

    The rollamajig does actually help in certain situations (top routed cables, especially if it is
    routed over the top of the seat stay.) but otherwise it's just a neato doohickey. I do consider the
    older, alloy version to be superior to the newer plastic ones.

    I'm actually drifting away from clipless pedals now, preferring high quality BMX platforms and
    hiking boots. Seems more fun that way for some reason.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/8/2003

  3. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > After trying all sorts of cables, I still come back to the Shimano
    stainless
    > steel cables (the black Teflon XTR sort) and plain, clean housings with normal ferrules - all
    > replaced when they get too gunked up.

    I'm going to try those nifty Nokon aluminum housing next...

    -John Morgan

  4. John G

    John G Guest

    Craig Brossman wrote:

    > Gone are the sh*tty Avid cables and rollamajig (I really thought it helped, I think I was wrong),

    Ohh Ohh! If you are done with it I'll take it! A Rollamajig is the second to last thing I'm looking
    for to finish out my Beer'Cross.... I'll pay the postage! Especially if'n it's red!-)

  5. Dick

    Dick Guest

    Nelson Binch wrote:

    > I'm actually drifting away from clipless pedals now, preferring high quality BMX platforms and
    > hiking boots. Seems more fun that way for some reason.

    MMMMMM platforms... I only like clipless on rough, fast trails now. Platforms are a hoot but
    shinguards are a must.

  6. John, I have a red one on the bike I'm going to build a single speed out of. Email me your address
    and I will send it out.

    --

    "John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Craig Brossman wrote:
    >
    > > Gone are the sh*tty Avid cables and rollamajig (I really thought it
    helped,
    > > I think I was wrong),
    >
    > Ohh Ohh! If you are done with it I'll take it! A Rollamajig is the second to last thing I'm
    > looking for to finish out my Beer'Cross.... I'll pay the postage! Especially if'n it's red!-)

  7. Slash

    Slash Guest

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 01:08:33 GMT, "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> scribbled:

    >John, I have a red one on the bike I'm going to build a single speed out of. Email me your address
    >and I will send it out.

    At the risk of learning something, what exactly do these things do?

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"

    - The Onion

  8. "Slash" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 01:08:33 GMT, "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> scribbled:
    >
    > >John, I have a red one on the bike I'm going to build a single speed out of.
    Email
    > >me your address and I will send it out.
    >
    > At the risk of learning something, what exactly do these things do?
    >
    > -Slash
    > --
    > "Ebert Victorious"
    >
    > - The Onion
    It is a little roller or "pulley" which replaces the loop near your rear derailure. It is
    supposed to reduce the friction in the cable and housing because you no longer have the loop, you
    have this roller.

    http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/Extras/product_20952.shtml

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

  9. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:59:40 -0400, "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote:

    (snip excellent RR/ER)

    >After trying all sorts of cables, I still come back to the Shimano stainless steel cables (the
    >black Teflon XTR sort) and plain, clean housings with normal ferrules - all replaced when they get
    >too gunked up.

    I, on the other hand, am replacing my teflon coated cables. Get some form of degreaser or other
    cleaning chemicals on it, and it'll turn to goo. Causing sever binding at the rear der...This after
    only 6 mth's of use.

    >I'm actually drifting away from clipless pedals now, preferring high quality BMX platforms and
    >hiking boots. Seems more fun that way for some reason.

    This is my standard riding apparel. Has been since the late 50's! :)

    Dave

    >---
    > __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    > http://intergalax.com

    >Release Date: 4/8/2003

  10. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:07:48 -0500, Dick <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Nelson Binch wrote:
    >
    >> I'm actually drifting away from clipless pedals now, preferring high quality BMX platforms and
    >> hiking boots. Seems more fun that way for some reason.
    >
    >MMMMMM platforms... I only like clipless on rough, fast trails now. Platforms are a hoot but
    >shinguards are a must.

    Agreed!

  11. Spider

    Spider Guest

    Slash <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 01:08:33 GMT, "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> scribbled:
    >
    > >John, I have a red one on the bike I'm going to build a single speed out of. Email me your
    > >address and I will send it out.
    >
    > At the risk of learning something, what exactly do these things do?
    >
    > -Slash

    If I am not mistaken, it makes that 180-degree bend "smoother" by having a rolling component at the
    bend, instead of mere motionless housing.

    Yeah, not a big fan of Avid cabling. The Jagwire stuff I bought (on close-out, natch) is working OK,
    but we'll see how it holds up.

    Maybe Shimano teflon stainless steel in some nifty carbon-fiber housing...

    Where does one get carbon-fiber housing? LOL!

    Spider