AHS vs LSS

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Rich, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    I doubt that anyone would have noticed my absence, but still, I feel inclined to celebrate a minor
    acheivement. I'm back. After having been away in the sunny warmth of New Zealand for 5 weeks and
    spending another ten days overcoming jetlag and acclimatising to UK cold dreary weather (much harder
    than doing it the other way round), Active Healthy Self (AHS) told Lazy Slob Self (LSS) that it was
    high time to stop making excuses and get back on the bike. The following conversation ensued:

    LSS - What are you thinking of! It's cold, wet and windy. You can't possibly go out today! At
    least leave it until a dry day. AHS - No! I've waited long enough, who knows when the next dry day
    will be! LSS - But you haven't serviced your bike yet! You were going to do that before you
    started riding to work again. AHS - Nah. I was going to but I didn't and I can't wait any longer.
    I'm sure if I just top up the tyre pressure and spray a bit of lube on the chain it'll be ok. LSS
    - But you're not fit! You haven't cycled for weeks. You can't just start back again with a 12 mile
    journey. Start with something simple, a trip to the shops or something. AHS - Look, putting it off
    will only make it harder, not easier and besides, cycling 12 miles isn't really any different from
    cycling 120 yards, at least as long as you're not trying to sprint the whole way. You just turn
    the pedals and keep turning them. I'll take it easy. LSS - I bet you won't. Anyway what about your
    SPDs - you've probably forgotten how to use them. You'll fall off! AHS - I'm sure I haven't and
    besides, I can use the other side of the pedal if need be.. LSS - And the rain! You won't be able
    to stop! It's too dangerous. Don't do it! Don't go! AHS - Don't be so silly. We're going. We're
    out of here...

    AHS got the wet weather gear on, got the bike out and went of the door.. You might think that was
    the end of it. But it wasn't, quite...

    AHS - Hmm, I don't remember it being quite that hard to turn the pedals... LSS - <Smugly> I told you
    so, now let's take it back indoors and go by tube! AHS <after changing down a couple of cogs> - No,
    see, it's not that bad...

    Things then went well.. for the next 30 seconds.. until it came time to slow down to take the first
    bend - then

    AHS - Arghh! No brakes! no brakes!! LSS - Arghh! No brakes! no brakes!! I told you this wasn't a
    good idea!!! AHS - Err - let's not take that corner. Let's go straight ahead... LSS - Let's go
    home!!! AHS - That's funny. I don't remember it being that difficult to stop in the rain... but
    <firmly> we're going on!

    We did go on and the rest of the journey was relatively uneventful - just the usual pavement
    lemmings and right turning motorists to dodge. I was reminded again why congestion charging in
    London is so necessary - because of all the roadworks;-). Even LSS had to admit that cycling will be
    better than cramming onto even more crowded tubes when that comes in! He spent the rest of the day
    sulking in the corner. He did cheer up slightly when I noticed that my legs were aching slightly but
    it was to no avail. AHS got back on the bike and took me home. I'm back, I'm entitled to be here.
    I'm a cyclist again! Not that I ever stopped being one but still...

    Rich

    Tags:

  2. >I doubt that anyone would have noticed my absence, but still, I feel inclined to celebrate a minor
    >acheivement. I'm back. After having been away in the sunny warmth of New Zealand for 5 weeks

    I am jealous :)

    So where are the postcards for the group??? eh??? eh??? (paving slab fairy resplendent in Celeste
    tutu impatiently taps fingers...)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Rich

    Rich Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    >> I doubt that anyone would have noticed my absence, but still, I feel inclined to celebrate
    >> a minor acheivement. I'm back. After having been away in the sunny warmth of New Zealand
    >> for 5 weeks
    >
    > I am jealous :)
    >
    > So where are the postcards for the group??? eh??? eh???

    Ah, sorry, but this ng doesn't take binaries

    > (paving slab fairy resplendent in Celeste tutu impatiently taps fingers...)

    I'd love to see that too but see above ;-).

    Rich

  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    > >> I doubt that anyone would have noticed my absence, but still, I feel inclined to celebrate a
    > >> minor acheivement. I'm back. After having been away in the sunny warmth of New Zealand for 5
    > >> weeks
    > >
    > > I am jealous :)
    > >
    > > So where are the postcards for the group??? eh??? eh???
    >
    > Ah, sorry, but this ng doesn't take binaries

    But its a well established tradition here to post a URL

    > > (paving slab fairy resplendent in Celeste tutu impatiently taps fingers...)
    > >

    > I'd love to see that too but see above ;-).

    Top answer from Google for Celeste tutu is

    http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/e/d/eden-celeste/grimthefuglydwarf_web.jp
    g.html

    so now we know what the Slab Fairy looks like and gane be afraid -- very afraid.

    T T

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest