Aim Of Training?

Emp

Mar 14, 2008
Hi guys......can I know the aim of training from you guys? I am 17 and has been riding road bikes for 2 years.Meanwhile I am just recovered from a slump which caught me for 4 months.Suddenly while I am busy with school I became totally uninterested in training and losted the aim of it.No more confident in doing better or maintaining the form.I really kinda feel impressive for those who could maintain their own training program for years without disturbed.No bored at all??What has been leading in your mind to do it??Sorry for the lame question but I am truly curious about it and hoping to get some ideas to avoid such thing happens again on me. :rolleyes:

Emp said:
Hi guys......can I know the aim of training from you guys? I am 17 and has been riding road bikes for 2 years.Meanwhile I am just recovered from a slump which caught me for 4 months.Suddenly while I am busy with school I became totally uninterested in training and losted the aim of it.No more confident in doing better or maintaining the form.I really kinda feel impressive for those who could maintain their own training program for years without disturbed.No bored at all??What has been leading in your mind to do it??Sorry for the lame question but I am truly curious about it and hoping to get some ideas to avoid such thing happens again on me. :rolleyes:

I think the best answer to your question is in terms of a person's goals in biking and how important they are to that person. For example, thirteen years ago I had a form of leukemia that doctors said was going to kill me in 3-5 years. Obviously they were wrong. I believe that training hard on the bike is keeping me healthy. That's a pretty strong motivation. I also race time trials and have goals there, but they are really secondary to me keeping fit and healthy.

It is very hard to keep training hard if you're not striving for something specific.

1. health and esteem - As a long time competitive bodybuilder my appearance looked okay, but internally I was a mess with high blood pressure and other problems caused by the excessive weight for my frame size. I was warned by the doctor that he was going to put me on a number of medications that I would be taking the rest of my life and I did not want that so I started taking fitness more seriously rather than just vanity. For others being more fit and more fit looking helps to have a higher esteem, which is a good by product of social standing. Looks good among employment because fit people often have a positive outlook in the workplace.

2. frustration - why do people do puzzles? In the frustration of solving the puzzle there is some sort of gratification of achievement. Though it ranks lower for me in my purpose for cycling, my frustration of achieving higher performance motivates me to push harder. I suppose many of us are wired the same way and causes competitiveness against your own achievement and achievements as competing with peers. However, I have met a few people with 1 in a million genetics that are high level (professional) competitors based mostly from their genetics and have lower motivation for consistent training.

3. Stress Reliever - training seems to take the edge off a stressful work day. Perhaps at your age you may not be feeling the need for stress relief yet, but someday if you are the provider of your household you will understand this. Lowered stress means better health because stress can lead to some major health and relational problems.

I am sure there are others, but these 3 are perhaps the tops on my list.

My problem is that I am addicted and obsessed by training since 1982 so it is harder for me to comprehend the opposite view.

I love being outdoors and out in the hills - which is why I like climbing that much even though I'm not really that good at it right now.

I like bettering myself. If that means battering myself in the process then so be it... but I find it rewarding when you can take something you like and get better at it especially when it's through a logical/methodical series of training.

... and if I can make other people suffer in the process and still do it in the name of fun then all the better. LOL

Actually, the fact that you are asking this question show real maturity for a 17 year old. It is a fundamental question to ask before you invest hundreds of hours in an activity.

I can't define your aim, but hear is my analysis as a 43 year old guy that has been riding for 20 plus years.

First, I love riding 2 wheeled vehicles whether motorcyle, road bike, or mt bike. I love the feel riding and feeling the wind. I love how everything looks different on a bike. On a road bike, I like the silence and speed together of watching the world go by from a perch on my seat. On a mt bike or dirt bike, i love having to negotiate over obstacles and seeing that side of the world. I love the sense of accomplishment I get from getting through some tight stuff, and the sense of adventure. I love leaning to turn, standing on pegs or pedals and boucing down single track. There is very little I don't love about being on any kind of bike. Over the years, I have seen breathtaking scenery on a bike. From riding in a fast group through rush hour around a busy city to being alone on a country road and watching an amish farmer plow his fields with a horse, I have seen all this and more on a bike.

Second, I like riding with other people. I love being in a group, the mini races that develop over the course of any ride where there are more than one rider. I love the conversations that develop when you are out riding at a more relaxed pace. I love needling my buddies about their weaknesses, and getting needled about mine. I love the trash talk that develops over email chains for days after an epic ride. Over bike rides, I have heard my riding buddies share things as wonderful as expecting a new baby, and as tragic as a divorce or the death of a parent. I have certainly shared some happy and sad stuff over the years. Planning trips around a bike have also played important roles over the years as well as the feeling of comraderie that comes with the trip itself.

Third, in order to enjoy and participate fully in One and Ywo above, I train. I want to be the first guy up a hill. I want to be able to enjoy riding by myself at a comfortable pace. I want to make my buddies suffer on a long ride; and want to be good enough that I can ride with guys that make me suffer. That means hours on a trainer sometimes when it is tough to rememember the joy I experience doing One and Two.

Fourth, I like being able to fit into the same clothes I wore in HS; participate in a touch football game and still be in shape, and have my wife not look at me like I am some disgusting beast. To some extent, this could happen doing any number of exercise related activities, and I supplement these benefits from other cross training pursuits, but they are great benefits that come from doing something I like doing anyway.

Finally, if you are young. I have seen some folks develop a passion for running, lifting weights, martial arts, golfing, tennis, softball, etc. But it is good to have a passion for something beyond work, school, or your family. Finding your passion might involve trying many activities on for size before you find yours. I don't begrude anyone from digging a passion that might be different than mine. For business, it would be easier if I enjoyed golfing because there is a lot of business I miss out on that is discussed on the golf course. For spending quality time for my wife and other couples, tennis would be better. But I just don't feel the same passion for either of those activites. For me, if it has two wheels, I can figure our a way to have a lot of fun on it; and I will be sweating and tired using it, even if it has a motor. And, nothing beats a road bike for just being able to roll out of your garage or house, and enjoy it almost from door to door.

Good luck. And there have been times when for many reasons, riding has been less pleasurable for me than other times. And I have certainly invested in other activities from wrestling as a coach and wrestler, to boxing and karate at fairly high levels of competition. But I just have more in common with the folks that I have met riding, and enjoy riding more now than some of the grappling and striking sports that were more fun when I was younger and healed faster.

Find your own gig. If it is cycling, you will regain the passion and training comes naturally. You will certainly have down times though even in activities you are passionate about.

Great essay kopride! Note you only mentioned "training" in one paragraph; all the rest described why you enjoy cycling as a sport so much.

From my perspective, you've given the real answer to the OP's question. It's not learning to tolerate "training", but to seek and find the pure joy of riding for it's own sake. For many leading stressful and goal-oriented lives, cycling might be best when kept as true recreational playtime rather than another venue for competition.

As a general observation and not a response to anyone in particular....

1. Training implies preparation for something -- a goal of some sort.
2. Riding is fun in itself, while training is not necessarily so. The more vigorous the training, the clearer the focus must be on that goal in order to maintain motivation.

Yes thanks for all the sharing of life experience guys.2 years of riding might be short for all of you.....but I think it had made a big difference for me"truly a big changes in my life".My friends who started out with me around my age(some even younger and started later)had done real good.They had been training hard and hard.Sometimes we are randomly picked to represent the state.They could stand up strong.Is the support and comment from surrounding do make a difference for us to do better/worse??Or mainly ourselve who makes the difference??

When unmotivated, what keeps me going is the fear of losing all that fitness. Sometimes I feel like quitting training, but I know what I have didn't come cheap so I push through in times of low motivation. The longer you're at it the more self-discipline or habit you develop.

Piotr said:
When unmotivated, what keeps me going is the fear of losing all that fitness. Sometimes I feel like quitting training, but I know what I have didn't come cheap so I push through in times of low motivation. The longer you're at it the more self-discipline or habit you develop.

TRUE!!!!This is what happened to me and this is a very good comment.Thx alot Piotr.Sometimes we trained like hell and suddenly a new guy popped up and do better than us.That really makes us stop the steps and look backwards.The fact is that we still loved the sport and cant bear to let go of it even though we are not doing good. :cool:

frenchyge said:
As a general observation and not a response to anyone in particular....

1. Training implies preparation for something -- a goal of some sort.
2. Riding is fun in itself, while training is not necessarily so. The more vigorous the training, the clearer the focus must be on that goal in order to maintain motivation.
I had a buddy who once said, "never confuse recreation with exercise." In this context, "training" being synonomous with exercise. To some extent, its true. You train to cause a certain physiological effect and improve performance. You engage in recreation ultimately to have fun. But I also think that they are not mutually exclusive. Training can be fun and recreation can involve exercise. And the goal of training can be as simple as enjoying a recreation activity more. Conversely, over time, a recreational rider can see an increase in performance.

But your point is well taken. Training without goals is not really training -- unless you simply enjoy the training for itself, which would make it inseparable from a recreation.