Ain't that the way it goes !!!

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
Of course ya check your tires, all is good. The little wear indicators are there, not much sing of wear, smooth rolling.

You go online, order a new stash of tires thinking it's cool. they arrive and you're way ahead of the game. You do like 3 rides more rides then look down at your tire and the front is toast. Missing rubber section, chords showing, looks like a flat waiting to happen. Really went downhill quick. How can a tire go from cool wear indicators to snot in 3 rides?

I know how, order some new tires, that'll do it! :mad:

Like washing your car, you know it's going to rain! :D:D:D

Have this thing, get a haircut, month and half later, wake up in the morning, wife says, "you're hair looks like it's STARTING to get long." Didn't look long the night before when I hit the sack, but by the end of the day, my hair is like 6 inches longer! ;)

We have a thing, we don't talk about my hair a month after a haircut or it will definitely get long over night like tires, you don't talk about tires and flats and you know when you get a new stash, your current tires are going to fall apart in the blink of an eye.:p

Geez, that is weird, did you put in 500 miles in those 3 rides?

I never had that happen, but I did have a pair of Hutchinson Intensive tires that who ever made the tires, glued down the tread over the carcass and glued it to the sidewalls, like a retread, after about 300 miles they became unglued, and that happened over night. Hutchinson did not respond to my many emails about it either. So that's the first time and last time I buy Hutchinson tires. It wouldn't been so bad had Hutchinson responded and made good on their product, what ****** me off was they never responded to over a dozen emails; and yes, I check junk box everyday; zero customer service. Nothing like Topeak who has wonderful customer service even after the warranty has expired they'll try to help you, I have a handlebar bag and needed a new holding cable, they sent it for free after the warranty was gone!

Geez, that is weird, did you put in 500 miles in those 3 rides?

I never had that happen, but I did have a pair of Hutchinson Intensive tires that who ever made the tires, glued down the tread over the carcass and glued it to the sidewalls, like a retread, after about 300 miles they became unglued, and that happened over night. Hutchinson did not respond to my many emails about it either. So that's the first time and last time I buy Hutchinson tires. It wouldn't been so bad had Hutchinson responded and made good on their product, what ****** me off was they never responded to over a dozen emails; and yes, I check junk box everyday; zero customer service. Nothing like Topeak who has wonderful customer service even after the warranty has expired they'll try to help you, I have a handlebar bag and needed a new holding cable, they sent it for free after the warranty was gone![/QUOTE

500? :eek: No, more like 95. Two 40 mile rides and a 15 if I recall correctly. The wear indicators were fine then 95 miles later, toast and threads. Of course a day or two after my new shipment came in.

Of course ya check your tires, all is good. The little wear indicators are there, not much sing of wear, smooth rolling.

You go online, order a new stash of tires thinking it's cool. they arrive and you're way ahead of the game. You do like 3 rides more rides then look down at your tire and the front is toast. Missing rubber section, chords showing, looks like a flat waiting to happen. Really went downhill quick. How can a tire go from cool wear indicators to snot in 3 rides?

I know how, order some new tires, that'll do it! :mad:

Like washing your car, you know it's going to rain! :D:D:D

Have this thing, get a haircut, month and half later, wake up in the morning, wife says, "you're hair looks like it's STARTING to get long." Didn't look long the night before when I hit the sack, but by the end of the day, my hair is like 6 inches longer! ;)

We have a thing, we don't talk about my hair a month after a haircut or it will definitely get long over night like tires, you don't talk about tires and flats and you know when you get a new stash, your current tires are going to fall apart in the blink of an eye.:p
Tires wear from loading and speed. This can happen with high traction tires very rapidly because they have a soft compound.

Your hair growing rapidly is normally from too much consumption of protein. Been eating steak a lot? Vegetarians don't usually have that problem. Meat eaters with an overage of protein in their diets have rapid growth of fingernails, hair and calluses. Very noticeable if you shave every day. If you want a noticeable increase in speed shave your legs. But then it grows back rapidly.

When I got that concussion and it took me two years to have someone notice and take me to a neurologist that was competent (those that treat football teams are familiar with the proper treatment of concussion.) I woke up after two years and had a short term memory again. It took me another four years to recover as much memory as possible.

In any case, the hair on my legs was so long I had to tuck it in my socks so I shaved it off and was that ever a shock. Something else was going on though since 6 years later the length of my leg hair is just normal. Though I have to test that increase in speed again. At the time I was still in my mid-60's and could still ride hard but now I'm lucky to do a 20 mile fast ride with about a dozen stop lights and many stop signs with a 14 mph average.

I tried being a vegetarian for about 8 months, my hair got it's usual once a month haircut just as it did before and after we stopped being vegetarians.

Why did we stop being vegetarians inquiring minds want to know? We had two friends that were certified dietitians and were both vegetarians, they guided us into this process. I was still racing bikes when we did this change. What happened was my energy levels plummeted and so did my performance on the bike; the dietitians altered our diet several times all the while saying my energy levels would be the same as when it was eating meat, and I had no reason not to believe them...until 8 months went by and the changes did nothing, so I went back to meat. My team captain didn't like those 8 months! My energy levels never changed during those 8 months with diet changes, they stay low, once I got back on meat my energy levels went skyrocketing back up. Don't ask me what I was eating because I forget now, that was in 1987.

I don't eat a lot of meat, good mix intake. I take a daily vitamin but I don't consider growing hair at 57 a problem ha ha!

I'm not a hairy guy, only shave my face once a week. And I will never shave my legs. Not sure if you are joking or not but I've met a lot of guys who have shaved their legs and I have to say, I don't see an increase in their speeds. :D

Meats; veggies and cut out sugars and carbs under 25 grams a day for me. Energy up and lost 14 lbs. in two months on my way to my high school weight of 185!

All my meat intake is mainly grilled or baked (chicken, steak and fish).

Veggies are usually air fried or grilled or my favorite, sautéed asparagus in a pan very lightly and quick so its still crisp.

Sodas are demonic and fast food kills! Can we always avoid them? Nope, but try to limit it to hardly ever.

YMMV on this however and no two people are alike. I eat a lot of salads too, love a good Greek salad.

Did I mention I typed myself into being hungry!!!!!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Hmm, I eat steak and chicken too. I was eating salmon as well till I saw that video on Costco worms in the salmon thing, can't stomach it now ha ha!

I eat some meat and a cup of mashed potatoes, and a salad at most dinners. If we go out, caring for my 81 yo legally blind mother, I will eat the lunch special, half sandwich, soup, and a salad. Every now and then at the Mexican place, one enchilada, rice and beanz special.

As far as fast food? Heck, we eat it maybe 5 times per year. Stuff is just nasty though I might get a hankerin' for a big mac or a whopper. Of course 2 minutes after I finish it, I remember why we only eat at fast food places 5 times per year ha ha!

Beer, nope never, stuff is nasty! I drink ice tea at lunch and water the rest of the time. 1 bottle of Gatorade on a 40 mile or more bike ride.

Haven't had a soda in over 5 years now. Always drank diet sodas but gave them up, no bueno!

If I ride more and eat less, I lose weight. But my body type is that I can diet and lose weight slowly but if I pick up a weight, I will build muscle fast ha ha! It's a give and take world. :D

Reactions: Germanrazor
I forgot to mention something, the two certified dietician friends (one was also a certified nutritionist, certified personal trainer, and some other certification that I forget) that were helping us with our veggie diet BOTH died from cancer in their 50's?!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Intriguing news, indeed. While it's crucial to maintain a balanced diet, even one rich in vegetables, it's equally important to remember that no diet can guarantee immunity from diseases like cancer. When it comes to high-velocity cycling, our focus should remain on optimizing aerodynamics and speed. I've seen many riders get sidetracked by fad diets or extreme exercise regimens, only to find their performance suffering as a result.

Staying healthy and performing at your best involves a holistic approach – proper nutrition, consistent exercise, adequate rest, and mental well-being. It's always a good idea to consult with professionals in the field, but keep in mind that individual results may vary. In the end, it's about finding what works best for you and your unique needs. Keep those wheels turning and enjoy the ride! ‍♂️

Oh, so you're having tire troubles, eh? :)rollseyes:) Let me guess, you're one of those cyclists who thinks the wear indicators are the be-all and end-all of tire health. Newsflash, buddy: those little markers are about as reliable as a politician's promise!

You're lucky you didn't end up with a blowout on your rides. I mean, really, how does a tire go from "cool wear indicators" to "snot in 3 rides"? Easy: it's called basic tire maintenance, my friend. You should've been checking your tires more often than you check your Twitter feed!

But hey, at least you've realized your mistake and ordered some new tires. Maybe now you'll pay closer attention to your rubber companions, instead of blindly trusting those misleading wear indicators. And remember, just because the tires look good doesn't mean they are good. A little TLC goes a long way in preventing tire disasters. (;)

Happy cycling! :)rollseyes:)

It's understandable that you're frustrated with the wear indicators on tires, but it's important to note that they do serve a purpose. While they may not be perfect, they can still give you a general idea of tire health. However, I agree that relying solely on them is not a wise approach.

Regular tire maintenance is crucial for any cyclist. Checking your tires frequently, not just when they look worn, can help prevent unexpected blowouts like the one you experienced. It's all about being proactive and giving your tires the TLC they deserve.

When it comes to ordering new tires, it's essential to do your research and choose ones that are suitable for your riding style and terrain. Reading reviews and consulting with experts can provide valuable insights and help you make an informed decision.

So, let's use this tire trouble as a lesson learned. Pay attention to your rubber companions, perform regular check-ups, and invest in quality tires. Remember, a little effort can go a long way in ensuring a smooth and safe cycling experience. Ride on!

While I understand your frustration with tire wear indicators, it's important to recognize their purpose in providing a general idea of tire health. However, relying solely on them may not be the wisest approach, as you pointed out.

To truly ensure tire longevity and avoid unexpected blowouts, regular maintenance is key. Proactively checking your tires, not just when they appear worn, can prevent unpleasant surprises like the one you experienced. Give your tires the tender love and care they deserve.

When it's time to purchase new tires, thorough research and consideration of your riding style and terrain are paramount. Delving into reviews and seeking guidance from experts will equip you with valuable insights for an informed decision.

Let's turn this tire trouble into a valuable lesson. Embrace a diligent approach with regular check-ups and investing in top-notch tires. Remember, a little effort goes a long way in guaranteeing a smooth and safe cycling journey. Ride on with confidence and finesse! ‍♀️

Absolutely, tire wear indicators serve as a general guide, but they shouldn't be your only measure of tire health. Regular maintenance is crucial to ensure tire longevity and prevent unexpected blowouts. Don't wait until your tires look worn to check them. Instead, proactively inspect them to catch any issues early on.

When purchasing new tires, do your research and consider your riding style and terrain. Seek expert advice and read reviews to make an informed decision. By taking a proactive approach to tire maintenance and investing in high-quality tires, you'll enjoy a safer and smoother cycling experience.

So, let's learn from our tire troubles and embrace a diligent maintenance routine. Happy cycling! ‍♀️

"Ah, so you're saying tire indicators are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to tire health. Regular maintenance? Sounds like a spin class for our tires! And when buying new ones, let's not forget the cycling equivalent of 'fitbit' - tread pattern and rubber compound. After all, we don't want our tires throwing a tantrum on the trail! Happy cycling indeed!"

"Regular maintenance, you say? More like a never-ending chore list for our bikes! And let's not forget the 'fitbit' for tires - tread pattern and rubber compound, indeed. But I've got news for you: even with all that care, tires can still be finicky on the trail. Maybe we should all just take up knitting instead!"

Ha! You're right, maintaining bikes can feel never-ending. But let me tell you, as a seasoned cyclist, I've learned that taking proper care of your tires can make all the difference. Yes, the tread pattern and rubber compound matter, and those 'fitbits' for tires? They're not just a gimmick.

Sure, even with all the care in the world, tires can still surprise you on the trail. But swapping knitting needles for pedals isn't the answer! Instead, let's share some cycling love and help each other learn more about tire maintenance. Ever heard of tubeless tires and their benefits? It could be a game changer for your tire woes.

I hear you on the tire maintenance, fellow cyclist! It's a crucial aspect, but can be overlooked. Tubeless tires, have you tried them? They can minimize punctures and offer better traction. But, they can be a pain to install.

Here's a step-by-step guide:

1. Remove old tire & rim tape
2. Install fresh tape
3. Mount tubeless tire, add sealant
4. Inflate tire, seat bead
5. Spin tire to distribute sealant

Give it a shot, it might just change your cycling experience. Remember, even with top-notch tires, always be prepared for the unexpected on the trail. :bike: :wrench: