Air Free Legacy tire

ryuujin23

May 17, 2006
In the past month I've had about half a dozen flats while commuting to and from work. The city does a poor job of keeping the bike lane free of debri. At any rate, has anyone here tried the Air Free Legacy tires (I'm looking at the Legacy Daytona HP and TT) and if so, what is your opinion of them?

:confused:

ryuujin23 said:
In the past month I've had about half a dozen flats while commuting to and from work. The city does a poor job of keeping the bike lane free of debri. At any rate, has anyone here tried the Air Free Legacy tires (I'm looking at the Legacy Daytona HP and TT) and if so, what is your opinion of them?

:confused:
high rolling resistance and very uncomfortable, the height of the tires is only 15 mm, bigger tires might be better. I prefer robust clinchers.

Not many wheels are designed nowadays to handle the different stresses a solid tyre puts on them, so you may find your wheels won't stand up to the pounding. Yet if you're not 'going for it' then you may well be OK. Fitting solid tyres can be difficult, and some LBS refuse to fit solid tyres quoting insurance problems.

My commute also has one area that is regularly strewn with fresh glass on a daily basis. I use a 'normal' tire called 'Dutch Perfect'. Essentially it is an armoured tyre. Not wonderful rolling resistance, but it's swings and roundabouts. I also used them on the PBP this year as I figured the time I save not fixing flats is greater than the time I might lose going slightly slower. Don't get flats anywhere near as often, in fact it is the only tire I use that has to be replaced because of wear, other tires I replace always still have a good tread but are suffering the death of a thousand cuts.