Air free tires - anyone used them?

"ProfTournesol" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:p[email protected]
> L'acrobat Wrote:
>> http://www.airfreetires.com/
>>
>> It looks like a good idea, does anyone have experience with them?

> 450g per tyre - heavy!

For which tyre at which size? It's not that heavy once you get away from
the super skinny folding stuff that not everybody wants or needs.

--

A: Top-posters.

"L'acrobat" <husky.65@delete_me.bigpond.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.airfreetires.com/
>
> It looks like a good idea, does anyone have experience with them?

Airless tyres are one of the RUCMs (revolving urban cycling myths), along
with shaft drives and the revolutionary pain-free saddle. We keep on seeing
them every decade or so, and a certain sector of the market manages to buy
them, only to find the answer - they don't work!

This is at least the third incarnation of airless tyres that I've seen over
the past 25 years. They are invariably heavy, give poor responsiveness and a
harsh ride or high rolling resistance. They are prone to failure and when
this happens it is rather catastrophic, not just a simple tube patch.
Fitting such tyres usually requires truck tyre levers or something worse.

But don't let me colour this new experience. Buy them and give them a go. If
they are the bees knees be sure to tell us about it. As far as my MTB is
concerned I have yet to have a puncture in the 4 years I've had it, but it
doesn't get ridden a lot. The touring bike has had about 5 or 6 in the past
2 years, but 3 were in one event over a few kms due to a poor rim strip. I'm
generally happy to rely on air in a tube.

Cheers
Peter

Greetings,
I have seen others using them, not always with positive
reports. The most general complaint seems to be lack of the right
resilience giving a very rough ride. Flat tyres are undoubtedly a pain,
but the pneumatic tyre still seems to be the best thing around.
Regards,
Ray.

L'acrobat said:
http://www.airfreetires.com/

It looks like a good idea, does anyone have experience with them?

Why? I know I go faster on my pneumatic tyred bike than on my old trike.

Why not investigate tubeless tyres if you're after a revolution in tyre technology? Start the move towards skinny tyred no-tube wheels.

M "fssshhht" H

Sheldon says:

Of all the inventions that came out of the bicycle industry, probably none is as important and useful as Dr. Dunlop's pneumatic tire.

Airless tires have been obsolete for over a century, but crackpot "inventors" keep trying to bring them back. They are heavy, slow and give a harsh ride. They are also likely to cause wheel damage, due to their poor cushioning ability. A pneumatic tire uses all of the air in the whole tube as a shock absorber, while foam-type "airless" tires/tubes only use the air in the immediate area of impact. Airless tire schemes have also been used by con artists to gull unsuspecting investors. My advice is to avoid this long-obsolete system.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#airless

"mfhor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> L'acrobat Wrote:
> > http://www.airfreetires.com/
> >
> > It looks like a good idea, does anyone have experience with them?

> Why? I know I go faster on my pneumatic tyred bike than on my old
> trike.
>
> Why not investigate tubeless tyres if you're after a revolution in tyre
> technology? Start the move towards skinny tyred no-tube wheels.

Michelin's tubeless road tyres:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2004/news/feb06

Are these available yet?

TUFO also make some interesting tubeless
tubular/clincher hybrid tyres: http://www.tufo.com/

hippy