air pressure , valve type , pump and muscle...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Rick, Jul 16, 2005.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Hi guys,

    Michelin Dynamic on my son's bike require between 73 and 105 PSI.

    Man, how can you reach 105 with an hand pump ??? We are pushing like maniac
    at 90 PSI . At 90 we start to rock the valve stem way too much for my taste
    and I am afraid that we will cut the stem one day I really don't think that
    we will ever see 105 with that pump (Axiom Pump good for 120/130 IIRC ) .
    It is our technique or do you experience the same behavior ?

    Second question , can you put a tube equiped with a schrader valve on a bike
    delivered originally with presta ?? ( alex wheel) Is the hole in the wheel
    big enough ? Its a pain in the neck to pump in, then to install the adapter
    to take the pressure and then to remove it to pump some more ... ...know
    what I mean ;-)

    Thanks for your help guys

    Richard

    Tags:

  2. "Rick" wrote:
    > Michelin Dynamic on my son's bike require between 73 and 105 PSI.

    73 psi sounds way too low. If this is a 700c x 25mm tire, about 100 psi
    would be right.

    > Man, how can you reach 105 with an hand pump ??? (Axiom Pump good for
    > 120/130 IIRC ) .

    I think that's a mini frame pump. You really need both a good floor pump
    for normal pre-ride inflation, and a full size frame pump in case you get a
    flat during a ride.

    I like the Silca floor pumps. But whatever floor pump you buy, replace the
    chuck with a brass presta head. See:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/tire.html

    For a frame mounted pump, it's hard to beat the Zephal HPX.

    > Second question , can you put a tube equiped with a schrader valve on a
    > bike delivered originally with presta ?? ( alex wheel) Is the hole in the
    > wheel big enough ?

    No, it's not. And it's not a good idea anyway. Once you learn how to use the
    presta valve properly, you won't want to go back to Schraeder.

    Forget the adapters. Get the brass Silca presta head, loosen the presta
    valve cap, give it a quick tap to free it up, press on the silca head, and
    pump away. I can top off a tire in a few strokes this way with no leaks or
    hassles.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html#presta

    Art Harris

  3. I submit that on or about Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:06:24 -0400, the person
    known to the court as "Rick" <[email protected]> made a statement
    (<[email protected]> in Your Honour's
    bundle) to the following effect:

    >Man, how can you reach 105 with an hand pump ???

    You use a ZĂ©fal HPX.

    But it's worth having a track pump at home as well.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  4. My LBS sells a brass adapter for presta for 0.79$ Use 'em to fill up presta
    tires at gas stations...

  5. "Brian Sanderson" wrote:
    > My LBS sells a brass adapter for presta for 0.79$ Use 'em to fill up
    > presta tires at gas stations...

    KABOOM!!!

  6. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Rick wrote:

    > Man, how can you reach 105 with an hand pump ???

    Use the hand pump to push the "on" button on the air compressor.

  7. Rick

    Rick Guest

    "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Rick wrote:
    >
    >> Man, how can you reach 105 with an hand pump ???

    > Use the hand pump to push the "on" button on the air compressor.

    LOL

    So I'm getting the message loud and clear these pump sucks ...thanks.

  8. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:08:18 -0400, "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Rick wrote:
    >>
    >>> Man, how can you reach 105 with an hand pump ???

    >> Use the hand pump to push the "on" button on the air compressor.

    >LOL
    >
    >So I'm getting the message loud and clear these pump sucks ...thanks.

    You got it. Take a look at the Topeak Joe Blow series of Floor Pumps.
    A bike like your son's requires that the tires be checked and topped
    off, at least twice a week. I check and top mine off before each ride.
    It takes 1-2 minutes to do. [I usually ride 4-5 days a week, about 9
    months of the year.] You really do need a floor pump.

    A good compromise,for the on bike pump is the Topeak Road Morph. Not
    the lightest or most compact.

    Another option, for on road repair, is a CO2 inflator. You can buy the
    cartridges cheaper from somewhere that sells them for paint guns or
    air rifles. Just be sure to carry a minimum of 2, I usually carry 4.

    Whatever he settles on, learn to use it at home. As others have said,
    run about 100psi, if tires are 700x25.

    Floor pumps:
    http://www.topeak.com/products/pump_floor_lead.html

    Morph pumps:
    http://www.topeak.com/products/pump_morph_lead.html

    A good gauge, at a really good price:
    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=30373072

    I don't work for Topeak, I just like their products.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  9. Allez

    Allez Guest

    I second the Topeak Road Morph - I can get tires up to 120psi or higher
    with no problem with it. You can 'morph' it into a mini floor pump,
    setting in on the ground. I've had a full size frame pump before, and
    never had any luck getting it anywhere near 100psi.

  10. Rick

    Rick Guest

    "Allez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I second the Topeak Road Morph - I can get tires up to 120psi or higher
    > with no problem with it. You can 'morph' it into a mini floor pump,
    > setting in on the ground. I've had a full size frame pump before, and
    > never had any luck getting it anywhere near 100psi.

    Heading toward the LBS ... thanks !!!

  11. DR

    DR Guest

    I second using CO2 on the road. I've had to bail myself and my riding
    partner out on the road with one and they're the ticket when you want to get
    going. I think you can get to 100 lbs using one so you're not riding a mushy
    tire. I carry about 4 or 5 cartridges with me all the time.
    "Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:08:18 -0400, "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>"Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]

    >>> Use the hand pump to push the "on" button on the air compressor.

    >>LOL
    >>
    >>So I'm getting the message loud and clear these pump sucks ...thanks.
    >>

    > You got it. Take a look at the Topeak Joe Blow series of Floor Pumps.
    > A bike like your son's requires that the tires be checked and topped
    > off, at least twice a week. I check and top mine off before each ride.
    > It takes 1-2 minutes to do. [I usually ride 4-5 days a week, about 9
    > months of the year.] You really do need a floor pump.
    >
    > A good compromise,for the on bike pump is the Topeak Road Morph. Not
    > the lightest or most compact.
    >
    > Another option, for on road repair, is a CO2 inflator. You can buy the
    > cartridges cheaper from somewhere that sells them for paint guns or
    > air rifles. Just be sure to carry a minimum of 2, I usually carry 4.
    >
    > Whatever he settles on, learn to use it at home. As others have said,
    > run about 100psi, if tires are 700x25.
    >
    > Floor pumps:
    > http://www.topeak.com/products/pump_floor_lead.html
    >
    > Morph pumps:
    > http://www.topeak.com/products/pump_morph_lead.html
    >
    > A good gauge, at a really good price:
    > http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=30373072
    >
    > I don't work for Topeak, I just like their products.
    >

    > Life is Good!
    > Jeff

  12. Rick

    Rick Guest

    "DR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I second using CO2 on the road. I've had to bail myself and my riding
    >partner out on the road with one and they're the ticket when you want to
    >get going. I think you can get to 100 lbs using one so you're not riding a
    >mushy tire. I carry about 4 or 5 cartridges with me all the time.
    > "Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:08:18 -0400, "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]

    >>>LOL
    >>>
    >>>So I'm getting the message loud and clear these pump sucks ...thanks.
    >>>

    >> You got it. Take a look at the Topeak Joe Blow series of Floor Pumps.
    >> A bike like your son's requires that the tires be checked and topped
    >> off, at least twice a week. I check and top mine off before each ride.
    >> It takes 1-2 minutes to do. [I usually ride 4-5 days a week, about 9
    >> months of the year.] You really do need a floor pump.
    >>
    >> A good compromise,for the on bike pump is the Topeak Road Morph. Not
    >> the lightest or most compact.
    >>
    >> Another option, for on road repair, is a CO2 inflator. You can buy the
    >> cartridges cheaper from somewhere that sells them for paint guns or
    >> air rifles. Just be sure to carry a minimum of 2, I usually carry 4.
    >>
    >> Whatever he settles on, learn to use it at home. As others have said,
    >> run about 100psi, if tires are 700x25.
    >>
    >> Floor pumps:
    >> http://www.topeak.com/products/pump_floor_lead.html
    >>
    >> Morph pumps:
    >> http://www.topeak.com/products/pump_morph_lead.html
    >>
    >> A good gauge, at a really good price:
    >> http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=30373072
    >>
    >> I don't work for Topeak, I just like their products.
    >>

    >> Life is Good!
    >> Jeff

    I think thats the way will go, my son just cut his first valve stem this
    afternoon trying to use this goddam hand pump...

  13. Rick wrote:

    > I think thats the way will go, my son just cut his first valve stem this
    > afternoon trying to use this goddam hand pump...

    Morph pumps have short hoses, virtually eliminating this problem.

  14. I can't remenber the site but I recently purchased a mini floor pump
    that gets over 100 psi for $25. Fits in a bag that has straps for
    mounting on the frame.
    The first time I used it, it worked great. Rather than beat your arms
    to death, you can use you feet. Replacement parts cane be ordered and
    its a very light pump

    Ed

  15. SlowRider

    SlowRider Guest

    Arthur Harris wrote:
    > KABOOM!!!

    Really? I've never had a problem with them on my commuter MTB. I
    guess I tend to be wary of strange pumps anyway: pump briefly, check
    tire, pump briefly, check tire, etc. I will take your comment to
    heart, however. Sounds like so far I just lucked out.

    The last time I had to stop at a gas station to pump up my road bike,
    my very next stop was the LBS to replace my worthless mini pump with a
    proper frame pump. I love the thing. Hopefully I won't be looking for
    a gas station anytime soon. :)

    -JR

  16. Rick

    Rick Guest

    "SlowRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Arthur Harris wrote:
    >> KABOOM!!!

    > Really? I've never had a problem with them on my commuter MTB. I
    > guess I tend to be wary of strange pumps anyway: pump briefly, check
    > tire, pump briefly, check tire, etc. I will take your comment to
    > heart, however. Sounds like so far I just lucked out.
    >
    > The last time I had to stop at a gas station to pump up my road bike,
    > my very next stop was the LBS to replace my worthless mini pump with a
    > proper frame pump. I love the thing. Hopefully I won't be looking for
    > a gas station anytime soon. :)
    >

    > -JR

    Mini handpump returned to the store, traded for a small CO2 pump since I am
    now convince that we should use only the small pump for road emergency . We
    have now a floor pump ( Axiom Propel air DLX ) I know that some other were
    suggested here but that's all we could find around here at a decent price,
    furthermore we tried it and works great up to what we need 1005 PSI .

    Thanks to all of you , you are a great gang !

  17. Patrick Lamb

    Patrick Lamb Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:28:06 -0400, "Arthur Harris" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Brian Sanderson" wrote:
    >> My LBS sells a brass adapter for presta for 0.79$ Use 'em to fill up
    >> presta tires at gas stations...

    >KABOOM!!!

    I think the pump at the gas station nearest the house has a reservoir
    set at about 60-80 pounds. If a tire was seriously flat, I frequently
    couldn't draw enough air to kick the compressor on.

    But a good floor pump, for instance a Silca, works very well.

    Pat
    Email address works as is.