Air Shocks and Floodgates

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by JoelM, Oct 23, 2004.

  1. JoelM

    JoelM New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2004
    As I move closer to buying a nice bike, I've run across this on air shocks. Some have internal floodgates, the slightly more expensive models have external ones. From what I've read, it sounds like you basically set them to your liking for the lockout position and leave them alone. Am I wrong on this?
    How much tinkering does one do with the floodgate adjustement? Is it worth bumping up to the external floodgate model?
    -Joel

    Tags:

  2. JoelM

    JoelM New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2004
    Anyone have any input on this?
    ::spams to the top and runs away::

  3. gazzer

    gazzer Guest

    JoelM <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Anyone have any input on this?
    > ::spams to the top and runs away::
    >

    > JoelM Wrote:
    > > As I move closer to buying a nice bike, I've run across this on air
    > > shocks. Some have internal floodgates, the slightly more expensive
    > > models have external ones. From what I've read, it sounds like you
    > > basically set them to your liking for the lockout position and leave
    > > them alone. Am I wrong on this?
    > > How much tinkering does one do with the floodgate adjustement? Is it
    > > worth bumping up to the external floodgate model?
    > > -Joel

    I'm not sure anyone knows what you mean, i don't really either.
    If you're talking about some kind of platform damping like 5th element
    or curnutt then yes it is worth it on some bikes, not so important on
    others.
    If you're talking about an external reservoir this is only really for
    longer stroke shocks as found on downhill bikes etc, but then it's
    unlikely to be an air shock.
    Stable plafrom shocks do work with a kind of floodgate design, whereby
    the valving opens under trail conditions but not through low frequency
    pedalling forces.
    And now my gins wearing off and i've forgotten what i was talking
    about

  4. JoelM

    JoelM New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2004
    I probably should have been more specific. I'm talking about forks in particular, and specifically rockshox forks. I didn't think that this feature was exclusive to them, but maybe it is (or maybe other companies call it something else). The floodgate adjusts the amount of force it takes to overcome the lockout, ie how big of a hit you have to take for the fork to move again when it's locked out.
    With the internal floodgate models you have to dismantle the compression adjustment and stick an allen wrench up in there to adjust it. With the external models, you just twist a litte knob.
    To me, this feature doesn't sound like something I would be constantly using, but then again I've never owned a bike that had anything but a cheap suspension fork. If any of you are riding on rockshox forks, let me know what you think about this.

    Gazzer, sorry to take you away from your gin:D

  5. gazzer

    gazzer Guest

    JoelM <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I probably should have been more specific. I'm talking about forks in
    > particular, and specifically rockshox forks. I didn't think that this
    > feature was exclusive to them, but maybe it is (or maybe other
    > companies call it something else). The floodgate adjusts the amount of
    > force it takes to overcome the lockout, ie how big of a hit you have to
    > take for the fork to move again when it's locked out.
    > With the internal floodgate models you have to dismantle the
    > compression adjustment and stick an allen wrench up in there to adjust
    > it. With the external models, you just twist a litte knob.
    > To me, this feature doesn't sound like something I would be constantly
    > using, but then again I've never owned a bike that had anything but a
    > cheap suspension fork. If any of you are riding on rockshox forks, let
    > me know what you think about this.
    >
    > Gazzer, sorry to take you away from your gin:D

    My Fox Talas has a lockout threshold adjustment, but I find that i
    want either full lockout or none so it doesn't really get used.
    And now the next problem. Rock Shox. Dont do it.Go marzocchi, or Fox,
    anyhting else in fact, just not RS, they smell.

    cheers

  6. JoelM

    JoelM New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2004
    I've read that alot in multiple forums, but if you read the reviews at mtbr.com, everyone seems to like them just fine. I know that Marzocchi and Manitou and Fox are the way to go, but it sounds like Rockshox gets an undeserved bad rep.
    Besides, it's not really a choice that I have. The bike that I'm getting ready to buy comes with a rockshox Reba fork. I think I'll get along just fine with it for the time being. The question was just whether to go with the next model up for the nicer components, but I don't think I will.
    Thanks for your help guys.
    -Joel